Completed [Competition] Art of The Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
So, I tried something different this time and that is editing.
Made this cinematic HL2 trailer.

This was made in Gmod.

Neb just for the fucking song.

And holy shit the actual thing's good.

Bandit

Nucleus
Nebulae
THE HERO THIS WORLD DESERVES
6A94E280A142851C39280B3FD80604E143C7AB68

RGB

Proton
Nebulae
So, I tried something different this time and that is editing.
Made this cinematic HL2 trailer.

This was made in Gmod.

It was okay, but I wouldn't call it good, because you don't develop through sheer praise and you need to know what dragged it down.

So first off we need to go with the fact it was in GMod, and it shows. Not through the way it looks in models or graphics, because I get that, you know how GMod works so you used your given tools, so we'll focus on how you can use your chosen tool to make something better instead of just telling you to go use SFM, because you know it exists and if you wanted to spend weeks on an animation you'd go use that. It looks bad because you don't quite understand a few critical elements, and I'll try explain them without any sort of technical jargon that you'd have to look up (like rule of thirds and all that).

First off, the incredibly obvious use of setting your model to each of the on-screen characters who stand still. They all do the same thing, look one way, then the other, and there's nothing more to it. A couple times and that would look good, but it's overdone in the first few seconds, and then later on you overdo it some more. Gets worse, overuse is something everyone does, the bigger issue with this is your janky mouse control where you can see their heads stop and go and stop and go, or move in unnatural ways.

This leads to another few realisations. Poor camera angles, poor cinematography, poor lighting, god-awful animations, and the whole thing is just really static in a way that works against it. Almost every shot is taken from under the subject, so many are hard to make out from poor lighting without any contrast, so many are clearly just a first attempt to get the shot so you could move on when you would have been better off, and so so many of them are just idle animations without anything going on.

Here's the big one you need to work on though, and the GMod tools will work amazingly in your favour if you've the patience to set up your scenes for them. Attach your cameras to hydraulics, ropes, pulleys, whatever. Get some dynamic shots going, motion not only of the subject, but of the actual camera and its angle. The tools are simple, but it will take a lot of attempts to get your shot, but it'll pay off.

But what about the good? Well you chose some good music, turn that off and the shit shows so much more. Good sound design and music choices and beef up and make anything mediocre so much better. Keep up your music choices, works greatly in your favour.

In summary, try more varied camera angles, some more varied shots and angles, more motion, don't be afraid to scrap poor clips and re-shoot them. I'd like to see another version of this with better camera work, because that's the biggest issue. Move the camera and almost all of your other issues will be harder to make clearly seen and improve the overall end product. Try some shots from behind and over the shoulder, give us some more interesting scenery from the world and not just the denizens.

I missed a lot, but I also got distracted and already had a wall of text. Try take some on-board, see if you can get anything out of it. Or call me a condescending cock, that's up to you.

edit: This guy's fucking amazing at camera work and despite his deliberately janky animation for humour you can tell he knows what the fuck he's doing, try take some stuff from his work if you can

editedit: I'm also like 18 of your views, I had to watch it a lot to write this out

Last edited:

lemon

Sells cheap beer
Nebulae
It was okay, but I wouldn't call it good, because you don't develop through sheer praise and you need to know what dragged it down.

So first off we need to go with the fact it was in GMod, and it shows. Not through the way it looks in models or graphics, because I get that, you know how GMod works so you used your given tools, so we'll focus on how you can use your chosen tool to make something better instead of just telling you to go use SFM, because you know it exists and if you wanted to spend weeks on an animation you'd go use that. It looks bad because you don't quite understand a few critical elements, and I'll try explain them without any sort of technical jargon that you'd have to look up (like rule of thirds and all that).

First off, the incredibly obvious use of setting your model to each of the on-screen characters who stand still. They all do the same thing, look one way, then the other, and there's nothing more to it. A couple times and that would look good, but it's overdone in the first few seconds, and then later on you overdo it some more. Gets worse, overuse is something everyone does, the bigger issue with this is your janky mouse control where you can see their heads stop and go and stop and go, or move in unnatural ways.

This leads to another few realisations. Poor camera angles, poor cinematography, poor lighting, god-awful animations, and the whole thing is just really static in a way that works against it. Almost every shot is taken from under the subject, so many are hard to make out from poor lighting without any contrast, so many are clearly just a first attempt to get the shot so you could move on when you would have been better off, and so so many of them are just idle animations without anything going on.

Here's the big one you need to work on though, and the GMod tools will work amazingly in your favour if you've the patience to set up your scenes for them. Attach your cameras to hydraulics, ropes, pulleys, whatever. Get some dynamic shots going, motion not only of the subject, but of the actual camera and its angle. The tools are simple, but it will take a lot of attempts to get your shot, but it'll pay off.

But what about the good? Well you chose some good music, turn that off and the shit shows so much more. Good sound design and music choices and beef up and make anything mediocre so much better. Keep up your music choices, works greatly in your favour.

In summary, try more varied camera angles, some more varied shots and angles, more motion, don't be afraid to scrap poor clips and re-shoot them. I'd like to see another version of this with better camera work, because that's the biggest issue. Move the camera and almost all of your other issues will be harder to make clearly seen and improve the overall end product. Try some shots from behind and over the shoulder, give us some more interesting scenery from the world and not just the denizens.

I missed a lot, but I also got distracted and already had a wall of text. Try take some on-board, see if you can get anything out of it. Or call me a condescending cock, that's up to you.

edit: This guy's fucking amazing at camera work and despite his deliberately janky animation for humour you can tell he knows what the fuck he's doing, try take some stuff from his work if you can

editedit: I'm also like 18 of your views, I had to watch it a lot to write this out

I'll just quote that when I'll be judging, covered everything at least twice

Smau

Quark
Nebulae

Make a better one then.
[doublepost=1482402843][/doublepost]

Also, I made this in 4-5 hours.

Reactions: List
Status
Not open for further replies.