• Yes with the idea in the thread

• Yes, but.... (comment below)

• No

• No, but... (comment below)

• Other (comment below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member 1381

People say it's more relatable because I wasn't alive in the 90's, the world has changed, countries have come and went, things have happened. New things were invented and other things that were used back then aren't being used nowadays. I know what it's like in 2021, I don't know what it was like in 1991.
People don't say it's more relatable for a gag, and to say as such is just stupid, they say it's easier to relate to a modern soldier because, it is.
I'll ask again, what exactly can you relate to more as a soldier in 2021 than a soldier in 1995, apart from making quips at current affairs? Do you mean it's easier to make a self-insert? I'm not being antagonistic, I really don't understand. If the server were to go forward with a modern lore, the majority of things you'd be able to 'relate' to will be retconned anyway, so the only real change is reskins.

Reactions: List

GenericPlayer

i like firetruck and moster truck
Nebulae
argh now you've just made me think of cunts walking around roleplaying TikToks on base

fuck no
you're sent on a patrol in the hillsides of turkey
you encounter an enemy patrol
they're playing a bass boosted version of WAP
they kill your squad
you're crippled and dying
one of them takes a selfie with the corpse of your comrade, it has the dog filter on it
one of them does the default dance over your broken and torn body
they then pick you up and yell "yeet" as you get tossed into an impromptu mass grave

such is war in 2021

D

Deleted member 22

Corporal why are you doing orange justice?

For the love of God avoid modern day so we don't have shit like this
r10yku2pboy21.jpg

Roosebud

Molecule
Nebulae
this is such weaksauce you seriously have no faith in players to have even a bit of imagination hahah

I personally always felt it was moreso the sentiment that people wanted to be lazy and just talk/act like they'd do in steam chat / school, without having to think for a second if it'd make sense in the context of the server. Otherwise it's sortof weird that people'd be able to roleplay individuals in the 2040s in a post-alien invasion world, but not a soldier fighting in a semi-modern conflict 20 years ago.

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
I personally always felt it was moreso the sentiment that people wanted to be lazy and just talk/act like they'd do in steam chat / school, without having to think for a second if it'd make sense in the context of the server. Otherwise it's sortof weird that people'd be able to roleplay individuals in the 2040s in a post-alien invasion world, but not a soldier fighting in a semi-modern conflict 20 years ago.
i completely agree

a present day setting is the perfect low-effort character environment, full of wish fulfillment chars and self inserts galore

an actual setting, which has history, conflicts, changes and historical context (future or past) would mean having to think a bit about what you're typing between joking on teamspeak about the coals you capped before you RTB'd

Roosebud

Molecule
Nebulae
i completely agree

a present day setting is the perfect low-effort character environment, full of wish fulfillment chars and self inserts galore

an actual setting, which has history, conflicts, changes and historical context (future or past) would mean having to think a bit about what you're typing between joking on teamspeak about the coals you capped before you RTB'd

Building on this, it's probably the main thing that's been left unmentioned even in 30 pages of discussion.

It's more-or-less obvious a lot of people just want their s2k fix with (light) roleplay around it, and as such would want an environment where they don't have to 'roleplay' a deep character, but instead use a self-insert of sorts to cut corners and get right into it.

It's no secret some people's logs from back in the day only showed "/r Globs globs globs" and similar messages as their only IC interactions.

And that's fine to some degree, as long as it doesn't impact the people that actually want to RP beyond the 'light' aspect. But, for me at least, it does raise the question as to why it's such a problem to continue this lore, especially if one already knows they won't give much of a damn and just want to battle.

It reinforces the idea that it's mainly about models and weapons, both of which wouldn't change in any significant way, so what's left?

D

Deleted member 1381

this is such weaksauce you seriously have no faith in players to have even a bit of imagination hahah
i personally enjoy having chose a soviet character back in stasiland because in applying for it i ended up reading about a lot of history id otherwise never had known about. it pays off knowing you've invested a decent amount of time into researching how you should be conducting yourself as the character

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
i personally enjoy having chose a soviet character back in stasiland because in applying for it i ended up reading about a lot of history id otherwise never had known about. it pays off knowing you've invested a decent amount of time into researching how you should be conducting yourself as the character
character research in general is something i look forward to with every new char

D

Deleted member 3818

the core tenet of keeping the 90s lore isnt about being able to relate to it
neither is it with the modern lore, you're expecting 150 different reasons why the modern setting is good but your arguments against it consist of hypothetical problems that could apply to anything regardless of setting.

D

Deleted member 1381

neither is it with the modern lore, you're expecting 150 different reasons why the modern setting is good but your arguments against it consist of hypothetical problems that could apply to anything regardless of setting.
the only thing modern lore offers is the ability to play a character as a self insert(or 'relate') easier with no creative thought process and to offer reskins of some weapons and vehicles, the latter of which is not worth the effort of overhauling already existent(and developed) lore and server content

D

Deleted member 3818

the only thing modern lore offers is the ability to play a character as a self insert(or 'relate') easier with no creative thought process and to offer reskins of some weapons and vehicles, the latter of which is not worth the effort of overhauling already existent(and developed) lore and server content
I can understand its easier from a development perspective but I still think the benefits outweigh the costs. idk what the idea is that the only quality a modern setting has is to be relatable like it isn't just one of the most popular video games settings of all time. you're going to have people making cliché, stereotyped, low effort and self insert characters regardless. I don't see the massive difference in creative process between creating a nato/soviet soldier character instead of a glob/coal character

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
I can understand its easier from a development perspective but I still think the benefits outweigh the costs. idk what the idea is that the only quality a modern setting has is to be relatable, you're going to have people making cliché, stereotyped, low effort and self insert characters regardless. I don't see the massive difference in creative process between creating a nato/soviet soldier character instead of a glob/coal character

Soviet stereotypes among enlisted are fine because they're mostly true.

Most COs and NCOs did a fantastic job with their characters, and even to an extend, a lot of enlisted.

Soviets were actually extremely immersive.

D

Deleted member 3818

Soviet stereotypes among enlisted are fine because they're mostly true.

Most COs and NCOs did a fantastic job with their characters, and even to an extend, a lot of enlisted.

im not criticizing stasiland for that, roleplay standards are much higher than they used to be so I don't think it'd be any different in a modern setting. We should just try it first before leaning on ideas in our heads about what it might be like

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
im not criticizing stasiland for that, roleplay standards are much higher than they used to be so I don't think it'd be any different in a modern setting. We should just try it first before leaning on ideas in our heads about what it might be like
but modern setting requires change of script.

D

Deleted member 1381

I can understand its easier from a development perspective but I still think the benefits outweigh the costs. idk what the idea is that the only quality a modern setting has is to be relatable like it isn't just one of the most popular video games settings of all time. you're going to have people making cliché, stereotyped, low effort and self insert characters regardless. I don't see the massive difference in creative process between creating a nato/soviet soldier character instead of a glob/coal character
again... what benefits are we talking about then? the only thing that's been mentioned at face value is 'relating' to modern lore, not mentioning the underlying motives which are pretty obvious. there is a stark contrast in creative difference between a soviet soldier and a cin soldier, you can research the soviet armed forces and how both their infantry and officer corps conducted themselves from a political and personal perspective, whereas with a cin soldier you have absolutely nothing to work off. it literally just enables if not encourages people to make low effort self inserts because theres nobody from faction management to say "thats not how you should be behaving", and if there was then it's the opposite of what you describe as you have to verse yourself in a wholly fictional lore. the idea of 'relating' to the world is just moot.
[doublepost=1613099323][/doublepost]
there was a very enjoyable contrast between gruff and politically alienated enlistedmen and commissar-style officers like tukhachevsky who had to intervene when they stepped out of line, like the rocky iv saf v nva in the garage. it really was a great experience

D

Deleted member 3818

but modern setting requires change of script.
idk if u mean coding or lore script but either way worth the effort imo
again... what benefits are we talking about then? the only thing that's been mentioned at face value is 'relating' to modern lore, not mentioning the underlying motives which are pretty obvious. there is a stark contrast in creative difference between a soviet soldier and a cin soldier, you can research the soviet armed forces and how both their infantry and officer corps conducted themselves from a political and personal perspective, whereas with a cin soldier you have absolutely nothing to work off. it literally just enables if not encourages people to make low effort self inserts because theres nobody from faction management to say "thats not how you should be behaving", and if there was then it's the opposite of what you describe as you have to verse yourself in a wholly fictional lore. the idea of 'relating' to the world is just moot.
I can sort of get that but it would seem like a problem of just having a low quality generic lore which admittedly classic ww3rp was kind of guilty of, but it doesn't necessarily mean that any modern lore has to be like that, I'm sure we could create something with a lot more depth. I doesn't even really need to be a modern setting, as long as it's something different from what we've just had. But that being said, ww3rp was built upon modern warfare, it's the soul and spirit of the gamemode and it's what people think of when you say WW3RP, so it's perfectly reasonable want to return to it when we are promoting this as the return to classic ww3rp.