Do you think we will ever get some form of zombie survival related roleplay server?

Would you want there to be a zombie survival roleplay server?

• Yes

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 50.0%

• Total voters

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Probably best to have no zombies, or at least, no NPC's.

Maybe have it take place a year later, zombies are rare as hell and are played by staff or such.

Main threat is starvation instead of outright being eaten.

That's not zombie survival, that's just citizen rp.

Reactions: List

Expax

Nucleus
Nebulae
Probably best to have no zombies, or at least, no NPC's.

Maybe have it take place a year later, zombies are rare as hell and are played by staff or such.

Main threat is starvation instead of outright being eaten.
Then just play Rust!

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
That's not zombie survival, that's just citizen rp.

Fair point.

But, to be fair, I doubt it was the zombies that made FTRP or any kind of post-apocalypse RP fun. Shooting braindead NPC's in the head isn't exactly enjoyable.

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
Fair point.

But, to be fair, I doubt it was the zombies that made FTRP or any kind of post-apocalypse RP fun. Shooting braindead NPC's in the head isn't exactly enjoyable.
I just want something freeform where players make their own groups without being opressed by big bad admin faction tbh

Expax

Nucleus
Nebulae
Fair point.

L4D2 would prove you wrong.
So would all the zombie survival servers that aren't RP based in gmod.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Fair point.

No and FT RP is dead and won't return so it's mostly irrelevant.

zoo

Electron
Nebulae
Is it viable? Yes, with the right balance.

For this community in particular? Probably not, based on past tries.
There's also not that much need for it.

D

Deleted member 22

just stick with hl2rp
hl2 is not really a good post apoc setting for people looking for the classic zombie survival approach, i mean yeah hl2 has zombies and survival stuff but-you know, the zombies arent really the main enemy its these hyper future steampunk people with pulse rifles

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Nobody has any input to what they think would be vital for this type of gamemode?

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
@MaXenzie Wanna have a go at ranting about ideas for this too?

I mean, otherwise I have a lot of fucking ideas that I can write up when it is not the middle of the night.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Nobody has any input to what they think would be vital for this type of gamemode?

POSTED TOO EARLY FUCK
Well, let's take what we know.

The Good:
  • This is a type of gamemode where scripthunting is encouraged. Looting parties, raids, expeditions, all to make the survivors feel more secure before the event team brings them back down.
  • Edginess isn't really a factor. You're in an apocalypse, you can be as insane as you want, you've probably seen a lot of bad things beforehand, anyway.
  • The events can be literally thing. From the military dropping supplies, to a rival survivor raid, to a damn tornado attack. The event team is vital.
  • Tension can be maintained easily.
The bad:
  • NPCs are janky, and so far, needed. Unless we have a better way of doing things, we're stuck with em. Best idea I've got is let @Zombine code a player SWEP for admins that spawns a player controlled horde of zombies around the user in a random amount within a certain radian that all copy his movements and make him invisible and untouchable. Admins can control small or even large hordes of zombies as a sort of hive mind.
  • Lag is intense. As @Zak told me, FTRP's framework was held together on bits of string and glue, and if it was to be redone or similarly made, the entire schema would need to be completely revamped.
  • Maps need to be big, but still filled with players. Maps like Ineu were great for this as they had a clear hub for players and an area to explore.
The suggestions:

Not gonna bulletpoint these ones.

Let's not have zombies. They're bland, generic, and everyone knows how they work. Mutants were a good start, and allowed for more diverse situations, but generic zombies were still present. Demons is too similar to BEGOTTEN, a different server that strives on being really disturbing, and it's run by head staff at C16, let's not try competing with that. Aliens is an eh... Maybe if it was like The Thing, where they turn people into Necromorph-like creatures, that'd be fun. And now I've circled back to zombies. They work, definitely, but they're not scary. Let's make them scarier, more tense, and remove the NPC aspect.

Crazies, psychos, whatever you wanna call em...
  • Not dead, retain all motor function.
  • Retain all intelligence, including how to use firearms and previous skills if they had sny.
  • Roughly the same personality as before they were infected.
  • Instead of trying to eat people or such, they just wildly enjoying killing things. Anything. Animals, people, other infected, they just love draining the life out of things.
  • Infection occurs through all contact with bodily fluids.
  • It has an insanely fast maturation rate, about 10 seconds after infection.
  • It is completely random on whether or not the virus kills or turns newly infected. (Basically down to an admin on whether or not they can trust the player as an infected.)
  • Due to all the killing they do, and how random the survival rate of getting infected is, there's generally a low amount of them, but since some have got their hands on military hardware, they're still dangerous.
Server in general:
  • PK's are always on. Any IC death is a PK, you will value your damn life.
  • There's pretty much no whitelists, but special character archetypes auths can be acquired, and I guess apps for infected, too.
  • Due to FTRP dying of boredom, pretty much all of the staff team are also event teams, and some players will also need to be organizing events.

And now I'm just gonna list off things I think are important.

Every survivor needs a major goal along with their personal goal. Something like travelling across America to get to an evac point, or setting C4 at every nuclear power plant in order to destroy the infection once and for all. Something that the whole group agrees on, and if they don't, that's where groups split into factions and wars are had.
This does need to be HorrorRP in some way, it's the end of the world, you should be scared. I remember when @Pict took the time to describe how brutally mangled corpses were in FTRP, and I felt more invested because I could really get my character's reaction from it.
Weapons shouldn't just be lying around. Always let the player roleplay their way to the top, not spending half an hour in a house grabbing beans and broken 9mm parts.

I'll edit more in if I think of anything.

Last edited:

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
See, to me you mostly just detailed FT RP with some minor alterations which isn't really anything survival. Expeditions and raids aren't risky at all, they're just time consuming. The end result would just be typical S2K PVP where the bigger groups get everything and the individuals or smaller groups get stomped.

Project Zomboid is a great example of real survival, you start alone and the zombies are a real threat to you. Taking the risk of going out for food or other resources and hoping you don't also run into other people is the survival. That's my small take on it, anyway.

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae

I've been putting in a few hours a day putting something together in my spare time. I'm going to post it eventually, but for now I'll post a screenshot.​

iH6RmQP.jpg

From what I've seen so far, unless clockwork fucks with the NPC base I found which has a variety of zombies, there's a decent pack that can bash through barricades as well as do a number in a swarm.

To keep it interesting, the gunplay and risk should actually be interesting and fast. To compensate for having no currency, weapons and ammo would be injected through either spawners, or staff actively putting down scenes where a soldier is found dead with a rifle and ammo. Weapons and ammo would be common relative to the place the server is currently set in. The best way to run it is to make sure there is no backpacks or other storage items, that way people are forced to get rid of things they don't need, I.E. spare weapons as they need room for their food/water/medicine which hopefully would be able to slow your movement speed. Death on starvation probably wouldn't be a good idea still. The server would have to follow a story-line and work for progression with events going on such as travelling out of the city (rp_necro_urban or rp_necro_downtown) into the forestry (necro_forest), then to the suburbs (rp_torrington) and another city all in the sake of progressing for survival. The zombies seem to be tough enough to need a lot of ammo, however, with zombies being bullet sponges, it gives people a reason to fear/avoid them however most guns can take them out quick.

The experience for a new player should be A) spawn in and see a noticable presence of zombies, B) be able to find a weapon somewhere on the map as well as ammo within the first 20-30 minutes of searching, C) be able to find a few safe places to hideout and roleplay within (by no means 100% safe, always subject to attack). Outside of events and progressing the story-line/doing quests/missions created by event staff (always extra loot involved or rewards), death by NPCs results in NLR. Dying while progressing the storyline/questing or doing other missions, this also involved actively engagin groups of zombies, or breaking fear RP and screwing around playing with a zombie. Events will not done for cash, but supplies and map changing due to the dangers within the area, I.E. massive incoming hordes requiring people to create and escape plan to get out of the city, etc.) There would also be PKs for death threats and in-character beef, however, there must be a reason and mugging would have to be disallowed because some people would just treat it like DayZ.

There would be a small group of military used to progress the story-line and try to vacate the citizens from the city, however, if they die at any time, including friendly-fire, including death by NPCs when story-line is being progressed or not. This is basically iron-man mode and they're limited at the start. They get a limited amount of supplies and have to contact command to get another shipment. There would be something along the lines of 3-4 riflemen, 1 sniper, 1-2 medics (extra medical supplies), 1-2 demolitions/heavy weaponry (HMG or shotgun and explosives)

vFLYrTF.jpg

All in all, the atmosphere would be dreary at times when in safety as people would be dying during events, creating situations where friends die and development would be created as people struggle with the loses of others. There would be no blackmarket dealer or spawners or sorts, however, upon every map change the places would be set up with equipment, supplies and other things to be scavenged when the server goes back live. The server itself wouldn't have to be bigger than 16-20 slots as it would work more like a mix of L4D2 with the gunplay as it would hopefully use @Zak 's TFA base, minus the hitmarkers and most of the HUD except for health, or perhaps if it could be swapped for just a greying screen with red outline. In order to compensate for the lack of dealers/vendors, character authorization applications will always been open for people to make a character with a background story, requested supplies or other requests, like locations, for example;

Character Name: Vinny Estada
Backstory: ... worked as a bartender for several years and ended up working a bar after the virus was infected, doing what he did best...
Request: I want a large amount of alcohol and a shotgun with a box of ammo to run a bar in <location>.

1GMonG4.jpg

@MaXenzie can you please stop posting some of those terrible ideas, like zombies knowing how to use guns. It truly is time to stop with some of your ideas.

Last edited:

Rictalspace

Manager of Fist Industries
Nebulae
Personally I've wanted to get some sort of TWD style RP going but it's so damn difficult to make good. Zombie NPC's don't work too well at all since they're way too easy to outrun/kill and it turns into FTRP with people having groups and bases that are over the top.

If we kept it so that the map kept changing every so often as if people were almost forced to travel due to some sort of TWD style horde then it might alleviate the whole base group shit but people wouldn't enjoy being uprooted so often. If we could get some sort of balance with Zombies where headshots are needed to kill but they're slow and in greater numbers that would be pretty fun, getting people to use tactics because they'd run out of bullets before the zombies are gone. But there'd be no sneak tactics available simply because of how NPC's work.