Do you think we will ever get some form of zombie survival related roleplay server?

Would you want there to be a zombie survival roleplay server?

• Yes

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 50.0%

• Total voters
Nebulae
if this thing goes into development why are we talking about npcs being obsolete when we can code some for this specific mode

Nebulae
Because we're talking about engine limitations, not limitations with what's currently out there.

more than one antagonist faction then, the people are the problem in walking dead i dunno, i'll think of some context

Bandit

Nucleus
Nebulae
how about one where there are only 4 factions, bloodz cripz copz and zombiez
everyone gets a mac 10, except cops who get a wang baton and zombies who get sharp wangs
everyone kills eachover and the only race allowed is black
PS its also set in japan with tentacle hentai screens all over the map

Nebulae
why not 28 days later rp, where it's literally just pockets of people and pockets of the undead left over, no established government and no military intervention, essentially no administrated factions besides maybe something like the Red Cross which drops supplies into the zone and manages borders, stopping all people and infected from leaving, essentially waiting for everything to die out before shit gets firebombed.

Reactions: List

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
Alright, so I've been thinking for a while now and I feel like I'm ready to share my idea.

No matter what we try to do, in a gamemode like this it is going to have to rely on active staff making things like events. That is the biggest drawback for my idea, it NEEDS active staff.

I'm thinking, a TWD style gamemode where people are forced together into one group at first. Zombies are easy to kill, with just one blow to the head they are gone. BUT you are killed almost just as easily.

• Zombies die from just one blow to the head, and are slow
  • Players, when hit by a zombie, are basically screwed with them becoming "infected". This gives players a reason to stay away from them, and stick together in groups.
  • A lot of zombies, since otherwise you could just avoid them.
  • Have a goal of every map, when that goal is fulfilled (for example fueling up a group of vehicles, repairing a bridge etc) the map changes. This will play into a bigger story as it goes on.
  • Have the players find their own place to try to stay safe, all staff has to do is help out when they ICly build things like fortifications.
  • PK heavy, if you die from a zombie. You're dead. This is supposed to be a zombie apocalypse. People die.
  • Have staff watching players. If a group of players organize a scavenging run, a staff member flies over and spawns stuff and NPCs wherever they think the players might go to scavenge.
  • Regular events, even the simplest ones like "a radio signal from a nearby infested building" or "a horde approaches"
  • Have guns and ammo be rare, but melee weapons plentiful. This is because picking off zombies at a long range basically ruins the whole danger of the slow, strong zombies.
  • If there is IC beef between players, they are free to split into two groups. Everything stays the same, it's just that the survivors are now more divided making it harder for everyone.
  • New players. Staff will have to show them the ropes I guess, get them introduced and such. This is kinda the main weakspot of my idea.
  • Staff would also need to create a bigger threat from time to time, such as playing as small bandit groups whose main goal is just to mess up the group, or spawning zombie hordes
  • I have an idea brewing in my head for a potential lore and progressive story as the server would go on. Let me refine it and I might post it here.
Update:
  • As the days go on on a certain map, the zombie threat gross bigger. This created a sort of urgency to finish the maps goal
  • Have no special factions (except maybe for the staff to get things like bandit characters to fuck shit up with), make character auths instead. These would provide a short backstory, and then the player requests what they want. An example is character knowledge of how to do something, or just a few scripts. If a player asks for a gun or ammo in their auth they need a very good reason to have it.
That's kinda just a rough outline. As you can see, it is oriented for a smaller group of players, so we would possibly have to limit server slots. And the more active staff we have on the server, the more people we could let in at once.

The main problems with the idea, as I said before. Is how to introduce new players, and the fact that we need an active staff team. Also time would probably have to be sunk into the thing to refine NPCs and such.

I'll update this with more ideas soon-ish,

Last edited:

TinPan

Needs to blow his nose
Nebulae
There could be a ton of potential with this, sure; but I honestly think the Apocalypse-Genre of RP Servers has had its time in all honesty. If we'd do it, then I honestly believe that Freeform isn't exactly the way to go. Some sort of a linear, in-depth storyline with a detailed Lore would be infinitely more unique, as well as allow for players to actually contribute to the story instead of just having the guys with the biggest gun or the fanciest uniform direct how everything goes.

Albeit, it'd need a ton of work and contribution from both Players in terms of providing quality Roleplay, and Staff to do Events, provide RP scenarios or just develop the atmosphere; but if there was enough communication and focus on immersion, then I'd greatly play something like this.

TinPan

Needs to blow his nose
Nebulae
See, above.
Fuck, I was too late with my Post :(

But you and I are on a similar page though. Focus on being Linear, with any sort of player interaction having an affect overall, as well as being deeply immersive and enthralling as possible

The Zombies I agree on too. Then again, there's a choice really. You either do tons of slow and weak Zombies that do strength in numbers or you do a few, more agile zombies that individually pack one hell of a punch.

Another thing I will mention though is not kick starting everything off after the initial Outbreak. If anything, the 1st Day would be amazing. TV Reports urging people to either remain in their homes or travel to a Military Encampment as Highways swiftly become packed with cars. You stand in a long line with nothing more than your clothes and a Backpack with some essentials you grabbed from home as you see either Soldiers worriedly talking to eachother or Hazmat Suits seemingly sterilising people. With that out of the way, your thrown into a large open space filled to the brim with tents and sleeping bags as a few Soldiers with Gas Masks patrol around the makeshift Tent Town, or anxiously watch from above on the Rafters/Balconies. Everyone is in a rather flustered or panicked state, either unaware of what is going on or having just escaped from a close encounter; possibly leading to the separation/death of Friends/Family.

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
Another thing I will mention though is not kick starting everything off after the initial Outbreak. If anything, the 1st Day would be amazing. TV Reports urging people to either remain in their homes or travel to a Military Encampment as Highways swiftly become packed with cars. You stand in a long line with nothing more than your clothes and a Backpack with some essentials you grabbed from home as you see either Soldiers worriedly talking to eachother or Hazmat Suits seemingly sterilising people. With that out of the way, your thrown into a large open space filled to the brim with tents and sleeping bags as a few Soldiers with Gas Masks patrol around the makeshift Tent Town, or anxiously watch from above on the Rafters/Balconies. Everyone is in a rather flustered or panicked state, either unaware of what is going on or having just escaped from a close encounter; possibly leading to the separation/death of Friends/Family.
That was exactly what I had in mind for the story I talked about. Having a start event on the first day of the outbreak. People gather up and leave the area in protection of something like military (played by staff).
Then we'd hop about a week forward in time. Army is gone and the people have just reached a new area and they can't move further. That's where the normal gameplay of the server starts.

TinPan

Needs to blow his nose
Nebulae
That was exactly what I had in mind for the story I talked about. Having a start event on the first day of the outbreak. People gather up and leave the area in protection of something like military (played by staff).
Then we'd hop about a week forward in time. Army is gone and the people have just reached a new area and they can't move further. That's where the normal gameplay of the server starts.
I don't know about time skipping; I think that should only really be done in certain circumstances where something storychanging happens. Time skipping is more or less Filler for a Plot mind you.

As for the Military being played by staff and whatnot, I'd personally say no to that. The only sort of Advantage the Military would have is that they have Guns. They'd have no sort of Quartermaster at the Camp, meaning that when the group begins to move to new pastures, they'll eventually run out of ammo and be reduced to pretty much dudes with Military Camo and Knifes

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
I don't know about time skipping; I think that should only really be done in certain circumstances where something storychanging happens. Time skipping is more or less Filler for a Plot mind you.

As for the Military being played by staff and whatnot, I'd personally say no to that. The only sort of Advantage the Military would have is that they have Guns. They'd have no sort of Quartermaster at the Camp, meaning that when the group begins to move to new pastures, they'll eventually run out of ammo and be reduced to pretty much dudes with Military Camo and Knifes
My point is that I really don't want the army to be with the players when the actual raw gameplay of the server starts.

Think of it like this. You have 5 soldiers with rifles. Each one has 100 rounds before they are out of ammo and become "dudes with military camo". If we go with my idea of weak zombies who die from a well places blow to the head, that'd mean that you could in total take out 500 zombies without any risk whatsoever. That's what I don't want. I want it to be risky, just being out on your own could end up in your own death and PK. I want people to be afraid of going out on their own because they can die so easily. Not have five army guys there to protect them while they go and scavenge and rack up food, water, guns and ammo so that when the ammo eventually runs out the survivors will be good for the rest of the servers lifetime.

TinPan

Needs to blow his nose
Nebulae
My point is that I really don't want the army to be with the players when the actual raw gameplay of the server starts.

Think of it like this. You have 5 soldiers with rifles. Each one has 100 rounds before they are out of ammo and become "dudes with military camo". If we go with my idea of weak zombies who die from a well places blow to the head, that'd mean that you could in total take out 500 zombies without any risk whatsoever. That's what I don't want. I want it to be risky, just being out on your own could end up in your own death and PK. I want people to be afraid of going out on their own because they can die so easily. Not have five army guys there to protect them while they go and scavenge and rack up food, water, guns and ammo so that when the ammo eventually runs out the survivors will be good for the rest of the servers lifetime.
Hence why there needs to be a choice as to wether or not there's about 30 Zombies with low HP and weak attacks individually, or about 2 with high HP and high damage. I mean, the easiest choice would be to simply keep the difficulty of the Zombies/Enemy Combatants equal to that of the Survivors. If the Group only has about 1 Pistol and mostly Mellee, then the Zombies will be on an equal amount in terms of Quantity and Difficulty. If you've got everyone walking around in Camo wielding M4's and G36C's, then you'll just ramp up the quantity and difficulty of the Zombies.

That aside though, Immersion should be the most focused-upon thing. You can have all the scripts and guns you want, but they're pointless if you don't have detailed and well-designed maps, scenario-specific music and quality Roleplayers who react to situations in an appropriate manner. Think of 'The Walking Dead' game by Telltale; everyone as one large group with people developing their attitudes, relationships and ideas about people and the current location that they are in. They roam around, looking for Gear and Supplies in a world that literally looks as if everyone just disappeared on the spot and left. Nothing overgrown and nothing Mad-Max like. Just a panicked group trying to gain an understanding to what's going on whilst dealing with conflict in their emotions and between other Survivors

Last edited:

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
Hence why there needs to be a choice as to wether or not there's about 30 Zombies with low HP and weak attacks individually, or about 2 with high HP and high damage. I mean, the easiest choice would be to simply keep the difficulty of the Zombies/Enemy Combatants equal to that of the Survivors. If the Group only has about 1 Pistol and mostly Mellee, then the Zombies will be on an equal amount in terms of Quantity and Difficulty. If you've got everyone walking around in Camo wielding M4's and G36C's, then you'll just ramp up the quantity and difficulty of the Zombies.
  • Zombies die from just one blow to the head, and are slow
  • Players, when hit by a zombie, are basically screwed with them becoming "infected". This gives players a reason to stay away from them, and stick together in groups.
I want the server to be centred around melee combat and working together to take zombies down. I want it to be extremely dangerous, with no barely any guns. This makes for more danger, and is the easiest way to make it challenging for everyone. If everyone had guns, no matter what you do to the zombie NPCs, it would be easier to survive. NPCs are dumb, and the zombie NPCs can't attack on long range. That means if you just shoot and stay away from them, you're safe. It doesn't matter how many of them there are. Guns make it easier which is why, IMO, it's better to center it around melee combat, zombies with low health but that will guarantee that you die if they hit you, due to infection. (Unless you want to make the greatest sacrifice of ICly cutting off an infekterade limb to save your life. See that's the RP I want.)

As for immersion, again, we are on the same standpoint. I know a few good maps that work great for the type of server, I know a lot of music that could be played when Senior staff are on. As for the players, you'd have to be very strict with OOC rules. If people break others immersion, or do anything else that breaks the rules, they can expect a non-tolerante policy and a ban. Keeping the server clean is what kinda is the most important for a gamemode like this.

Moon

Quark
Nebulae
what about vampire RP? it was the greatest RP gamemode never released

the setting could vary a lot - a human city with a vampire presence (think this was done before) or something like nosgoth or LoK where vampires are or were dominating.

I think it'd bypass the issue of zombies being little more than a nuisance. also has some elements of 'alien' where they're capable of disguising as human players.

aside from that though, it'd probably get boring once you did a few loot runs without good scripts and staff

Nebulae
how about one where there are only 4 factions, bloodz cripz copz and zombiez
everyone gets a mac 10, except cops who get a wang baton and zombies who get sharp wangs
everyone kills eachover and the only race allowed is black
PS its also set in japan with tentacle hentai screens all over the map
so funny that I almost laughed

frogsap

Quark
Nebulae
zombie survival servers should only be darkrp combined with npcs
even those darkrpzombierps have few players

because zombie survival is overused or something

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
imo the only way zombies in a game mode like this would work would be if they:

Are fast.

Hit hard.

Have low-ish HP.

This allows them to still be killed by players, but if they'e in great numbers or they sneak up on you you're fucked.

The map is also a great factor, since maps with a lot of open space (See: Chapperel or whatever) makes zombies less of a threat as you can see them coming from a mile away. Dense and populated maps are a must, imo.