Serious First GTA VI trailer set for release in early December

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
ngl i was fucked off when they killed johnny in 5

keep old characters out of it
like i said i think the fact that itd piss people off is why they specifically did it as a way to get people to stop asking and make their point clear

Idk they've set up a really cool dynamic with the two protagonists and one we haven't really seen explored in a r* game. i wanna see what the writers have in store for them and the new characters they'll associate with. why bring in characters who have already told their stories

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
i never understood why people want these old characters included and referenced so much in newer titles

having neat little easter eggs like including old voice actors or having some grafitti or newsclipping or some offhand comment about the old games is like the best way to do it imo

you pay tribute to the older games and characters, do a little "hey remember this" for old fans who looked for it and then move on

i dont really want franklin or niko to show up and start getting involved in stuff it just begins to enter that territory of "hey guys remember this character remember what we did guys check it out its him!" when their stories are over

Idk it just kinda tarnishes their legacy and begins entering marvel territory where everything has to be connected or referenced constantly

r* kinda gave their take on including older characters in new stories when they had trevor cave johnny's skull in 5 mins into his first mission and its pretty established that the HD(6,5,4) 3d(SA,VC,3) and 2d(2,1) are distinct universes anyway
I wouldn't want them taking up major roles

Just you know, knowing where they ended up or how they died etc. People wanna see more of characters they like.

And just to clarify Johnny wasn't the first time, Claude from GTA 3 shows up in a side mission in SA. It's played for laughs and is pretty inconsequential but it was cool to see.

Reactions: List

Flop

Secret dingus man
Nebulae
I wouldn't want them taking up major roles

Just you know, knowing where they ended up or how they died etc. People wanna see more of characters they like.

And just to clarify Johnny wasn't the first time, Claude from GTA 3 shows up in a side mission in SA. It's played for laughs and is pretty inconsequential but it was cool to see.
The 3D era is where I'm pretty sure, where everything is interconnected, one way or another, with Claude in SA being to set up how he ended up in the beginning of 3, I think

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Personally I don't see why all the GTAs can't be canon to one another/share a universe.
Ask Rockstar, they sectioned off everything pre-IV into it's own separate universe.

Oddly enough Chinatown Wars exists in the 'HD' timeline (IV & TBoGT & LATD, CW, V, VI) though.

like i said i think the fact that itd piss people off is why they specifically did it as a way to get people to stop asking and make their point clear
That was just the writers taking the axe to The Lost and Damned, they specifically had Johnny end up an addict, back with his meth-addict girlfriend who he refused to return to due to her addiction, a cuck and gruesomly killed off during a cutscene early on, completely at odds with his own ending in the DLC.

If they truly didn't want protagonists interacting then Liberty City & Vice City Stories would never have existed.

you pay tribute to the older games and characters, do a little "hey remember this" for old fans who looked for it and then move on

i dont really want franklin or niko to show up and start getting involved in stuff it just begins to enter that territory of "hey guys remember this character remember what we did guys check it out its him!" when their stories are over
Dunno man, I think San Andreas did it just fine with both Claude and Tommy (offscreen phone conversation) being shown & alluded to in a single mission each.

Having them persist around and start creating consequences is a step too far, sure, but it would be nice to at give them some kind of a conclusion that you can learn about, least instead of dumping their names on a single wall and then acting like they did the fanbase a solid for basically remembering that the games existed for once in 16 years (Liberty City & Vice City Stories).

For an instance of what I mean, let's say Michael and his family show up for some kind of vacation in town. You see them in the background of some cutscene at the airport during a mission, you see some posts on social media and that's it. No grand teaser, just something for people to find in their own time, like Niko's lifeinvader statuses.

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
If they truly didn't want protagonists interacting then Liberty City & Vice City Stories would never have existed.
I was talking about them interacting between games and cities

LC/VC stories were very clearly based off and built off the relative installment and acted as DLCs/enhanced versions

If there was a los santos stories(lol) and the characters interacted with trevor/michael/franklin, like they do in GTA:O, i wouldn't mind, i just dont find it interesting when they're sort of dragged up for no reason in other installments

Dunno man, I think San Andreas did it just fine with both Claude and Tommy (offscreen phone conversation) being shown & alluded to in a single mission each.

Having them persist around and start creating consequences is a step too far, sure, but it would be nice to at give them some kind of a conclusion that you can learn about, least instead of dumping their names on a single wall and then acting like they did the fanbase a solid for basically remembering that the games existed for once in 16 years (Liberty City & Vice City Stories).

For an instance of what I mean, let's say Michael and his family show up for some kind of vacation in town. You see them in the background of some cutscene at the airport during a mission, you see some posts on social media and that's it. No grand teaser, just something for people to find in their own time, like Niko's lifeinvader statuses.
again, stuff i dont really mind, sure have them in the background to be added to "top 15 easter eggs you missed in gta6" or as someone you can look up on social media and see a silly video they've posted but my point was is that i just dont see a reason for them to get brought up and involved in this new game set (a minimum) 12 years later and across the country

Idk i guess i like ambiguity in stories and thats where it stems from. I dont really need to know whats going on with everyone else since everyones stories ended

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
There's no way they make a game set in vice city and don't at least reference Tommy Vercetti or Vice City Stories in some way

I know CJ wasn't really referenced much in 5, though the gangs/families were still there and Niko was off-handedly vaguely referenced by Lester once.

Personally I don't see why all the GTAs can't be canon to one another/share a universe. It's not like Zelda where each game is so radically different in world/lore/story that it'd get weird. Most GTA stories aren't grand in scope, the shit that happens in that scope is big but it's not like they are changing the world or any shit like that. Most of the time it's just criminals doing criminal shit
I think it was just out of the scope for GTA 4/5 to toss out references to their 3D universe counterparts
it's probably not out of the realm of possibilities, though

you could also get Packie from GTA4 as a crew member, so it wasn't just the off-handed Lester remark

Aspect™

Proton
Nebulae
image.png

Aspect™

Proton
Nebulae
I'm happy YouTube doesn't show you how many times you've watched a video. The number of times I've rewatched the trailer must be at a ridiculous height at this point.