FORTNITE MURDERS AMOGUS: IMPOSTOR

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
Also on the topic people won't abandon Among Us like they didn't abandon CSGO after Valorant came out despite sharing mechanics and then having more on top (characters with diff skills and stuff, all that jazz) so why would it happen with Among Us - there's hundreds of rip-offs already and people still play it, hell, there's a web version with more characters and options and it still did not debunk Among Us itself.

This game will fill up with players from Fortnite most likely (at least in the beginning) as people tend to like the studio more than the idea of the game sometimes, the studio says it'll release a game and they know people will at least try it merely because it was made by them. Evidence of this is League of Legends players saying they haven't ever nor plan to touch a single FPS game (big bulk of LoL players only play said game as their PC entertainment as they don't spend as many hours playing games and that's their choice), however, the second Valorant came out many if not nearly all of them gave it a try and many remained playing it, merely because it was "an FPS by Riot Games".

It's merely how games and their public work, there are millions of players and the number just keeps increasing day after day after day, and players will eventually play the game they like the most, and that does not mean "the objectively best game", but whichever game catches their eye. After long years since its release, Garry's Mod and more specifically HL2RP still receives new players, Counter-Strike did not die under Valorant (in fact, saw its record of players broken for whatever the reason it might be) and the other day I and my pals said "let's play Among Us" and we joined for a little fun time, disregarding similar games like Betrayal or whatever.

The thing is, you would never see this absolute outrage coming from any other game released with Among Us mechanics, but you see it from Epic, merely because they're Epic. They took advantage of a situation to make a game that will net them money, that's it, there isn't any more to it. It's literally what every single company does.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
whats up with the trend of big companies making their battle royale games into 15 different games or vice versa.

battlefield did this but they added BR for no good reason, same with COD.
eventually big triple A studios are just gonna start dropping GARRY MOD games where u can play the TT, the BR or the obstacle course, or the story mode - or the whatever. i get the variety but its so wildly out of its own genre. weird
[doublepost=1629368519][/doublepost]
Yeah it does feel like putting this sort of gamemode on a space station with tasks, the ability to report deaths and hit a button to call meetings wherever, imposters having the ability to switch off certain things and calling it Imposters is far too on the nose in my eyes.

Its a cash grab but I also think very little was done to make it original beyond changing the map.
to be fair though every person that's ever downloaded fortnite has already downloaded it i really doubt this is gonna pull any more small children than fortnite already does. probably just a good medium for people to ignore buying amogus when they're got a one-stop shop. the among us team is like 4 people aswell, they're already made their billions, still shit because epic knows they can walk all over it

Reactions: List

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
eventually big triple A studios are just gonna start dropping GARRY MOD games where u can play the TT, the BR or the obstacle course, or the story mode - or the whatever. i get the variety but its so wildly out of its own genre. weird

Battlefield 2042

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
wait the Arma Battle Royale was inspired by DayZ?

aye its generally agreed upon that arma's battle royale came when someone played DayZ and decided they wanted more action, so they removed zombies and made the map get smaller over time

jb

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
1317c3815636e4c075859ce97ef2728b.png
uhh guys we didnt patent the among us mechanics because we want to promote a healthy game industry uhhh not because its an unoriginal concept uhhh

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
uhh guys we didnt patent the among us mechanics because we want to promote a healthy game industry uhhh not because its an unoriginal concept uhhh
Patents in the game industry would absolutely destroy it. The last thing gaming needs is to have protected mechanics or concepts.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Patents in the game industry would absolutely destroy it. The last thing gaming needs is to have protected mechanics or concepts.

there's a patent on the nemesis system from shadow of mordor

and we've never seen it used since

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
there's a patent on the nemesis system from shadow of mordor

and we've never seen it used since
Software patents in general are extremely harmful. It’s all fine to feel like Among Us got shafted a bit but that’s the industry, if you feel that somehow Fortnite are bad for copying a concept then you’re almost arguing that concepts should be patented.. then we’ll see a full stop of indie games being made because they can’t pay patent fees.

D

Deleted member 7099

everyone's forgetting this is temporary
after this stinky fortnite season ends they're going to discontinue the amogus gamemode and put in like fuckin mario or some shit so its not like theyre trying to replace amogus, just copying it to ride off its success, which is a bit stinky i guess but like amogus devs probably have a billion trillion gabooberbillion dollars by now just off of brand name alone along with how many million plushies of le epic crewmate they're selling

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
Software patents in general are extremely harmful. It’s all fine to feel like Among Us got shafted a bit but that’s the industry, if you feel that somehow Fortnite are bad for copying a concept then you’re almost arguing that concepts should be patented.. then we’ll see a full stop of indie games being made because they can’t pay patent fees.
?

how lol

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
Because if they’re bad for copying a concept then the only way to prevent that is a patent. That’s how.
i think there's a pretty obvious difference between them making a fortnite murder mystery game vs ripping amogus down to calling it imposters (i said this already?)

anyway i wouldnt be pro them patenting among us either, thats dumb. they can still be called out for being lazy regardless

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
i think there's a pretty obvious difference between them making a fortnite murder mystery game vs ripping amogus down to calling it imposters (i said this already?)

anyway i wouldnt be pro them patenting among us either, thats dumb. they can still be called out for being lazy regardless

alex doesnt want to understand that
he'd rather make hyperbole statements on what he doesnt understand
i dont think hes processed anything thats been said on the game so far

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae
aye its generally agreed upon that arma's battle royale came when someone played DayZ and decided they wanted more action, so they removed zombies and made the map get smaller over time

Stemmed from a CreatorZ (think the title is) from an interview with brian hicks (one of the head guys at original dayz). dayz event with dayz content creators and the devs played gamemaster by spawning loot. it is 'the original battleroyale' game in that kinda formula that we see all these BRs

alex doesnt want to understand that
he'd rather make hyperbole statements on what he doesnt understand
i dont think hes processed anything thats been said on the game so far

i mean its either one or the other you either allow copy cats or you corner a market and can make a game shit as possible w/o alternatives

im not well versed in software game law but being able to copyright things like minigames in loading screens which isn't fundamental to games but an example, or nemesis system which games could realistically use more than the mordor thing is

absurd