FORTNITE MURDERS AMOGUS: IMPOSTOR

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
Stemmed from a CreatorZ (think the title is) from an interview with brian hicks (one of the head guys at original dayz). dayz event with dayz content creators and the devs played gamemaster by spawning loot. it is 'the original battleroyale' game in that kinda formula that we see all these BRs

i mean its either one or the other you either allow copy cats or you corner a market and can make a game shit as possible w/o alternatives

im not well versed in software game law but being able to copyright things like minigames in loading screens which isn't fundamental to games but an example, or nemesis system which games could realistically use more than the mordor thing is

absurd

Oh wise Pilot Bland

Why is it there is no middle to "Don't completely rip a game and market it as your own with no theatrical changes or gameplay changes other than 3D" and "DONT MAKE GAMES OF EVEN SLIGHTLY SIMILAR GENRE CAUSE THERES A PATENT!!!"

Reactions: List

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
i think there's a pretty obvious difference between them making a fortnite murder mystery game vs ripping amogus down to calling it imposters (i said this already?)
There is but there's also nothing preventing that from happening. Although fans of Among Us may not like it, that's how the industry has functioned for a very long time; they're hardly the first murder mystery game and they won't be the last.

alex doesnt want to understand that
he'd rather make hyperbole statements on what he doesnt understand
i dont think hes processed anything thats been said on the game so far
Yeah that's totally it. Completely zero understanding of how the gaming industry works, patents and copyright.

i mean its either one or the other you either allow copy cats or you corner a market and can make a game shit as possible w/o alternatives
This is literally it. Apple had a patent on squares with rounded edges for App icons which went to court when Samsung violated, they also had a patent for the "bounce back" when you scrolled too far up or down on a page; patents are awful for software.

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
There is but there's also nothing preventing that from happening. Although fans of Among Us may not like it, that's how the industry has functioned for a very long time; they're hardly the first murder mystery game and they won't be the last.

Yeah that's totally it. Completely zero understanding of how the gaming industry works, patents and copyright.

This is literally it. Apple had a patent on squares with rounded edges for App icons which went to court when Samsung violated, they also had a patent for the "bounce back" when you scrolled too far up or down on a page; patents are awful for software.

Oh wise Alexgrist

Why is it there is no middle to "Don't completely rip a game and market it as your own with no theatrical changes or gameplay changes other than 3D" and "DONT MAKE GAMES OF EVEN SLIGHTLY SIMILAR GENRE CAUSE THERES A PATENT!!!"

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae
Oh wise Pilot Bland

because a middle ground allows richer game/software companies to leverage lawsuit after lawsuit in poking loopholes and saying ‘actually this up and coming game infringes on mine’ with the ability to use precedent against you from prior successful cases allowing for similarities to get canned

and it’s PilotBland, bitch. No flame intended @ forum moderators

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Oh wise Alexgrist

Because if the argument is that you cannot copy a game you are arguing that game design and concepts should be protected which is what patents are for.

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae
Copyrighting game mechanics is inherently fucking stupid, and you can’t argue against that

I think this is scummy but a preferable alternative to cornering everything to being only done once

just cause you (the consumer) didn’t like all the battle Royale craze copy cat, you would be pissed if there was only one battle Royale game ever cause everyone else got canned and no one else got to improve it

apex is a wayyyy better br then fucking h1z1 for example lol imagine if the laws looked like that

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
We don't speak of H1Z1 in this house

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
If Fortnite's mode is inferior to Among Us, people will continue to play Among Us.

The industry is sink or swim, it sucks for Among Us but they likely turned down many acquisition offers and so their choice was to fight competitor games.

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
Copyrighting game mechanics is inherently fucking stupid, and you can’t argue against that

I think this is scummy but a preferable alternative to cornering everything to being only done once

just cause you (the consumer) didn’t like all the battle Royale craze copy cat, you would be pissed if there was only one battle Royale game ever cause everyone else got canned and no one else got to improve it

apex is a wayyyy better br then fucking h1z1 for example lol imagine if the laws looked like that

but we're not looking at PUBG vs Fortnite or Fortnite vs Apex or H1Z1, or Cookout Royale, or surviv.io
they each add something to the game, or are uniquely them
you can easily explain why each of them are in military settings, because its a shooter

the difference isnt as wide as Apex vs H1Z1, these are trashy and dishonest comparisons

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
If Fortnite's mode is inferior to Among Us, people will continue to play Among Us.

The industry is sink or swim, it sucks for Among Us but they likely turned down many acquisition offers and so their choice was to fight competitor games.
i think the whole principle of amogus is its inherent simplicity for anyone to pick up
fortnite is mechanical, graphical and complicated
amogus will always have a place as something as ingrained as a flash game you played as a kid

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae

thats not how it works when fortnite has a cult following of 8 year old tweens

Nebulae
I don't know if it's been said in this thread because I'm not about to read all that shit but I think the worst part is that whoever made Among Us said they've been "actively trying to collab with" fortnite and were ignored and then they make amogus fortnite

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
That's most definitely how it works

Alex you are 30, I do not think you are a professional on children and how they behave.
Ninja is playing Fortnite Amoggus, not Among Us.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
whoever made Among Us said they've been "actively trying to collab with" fortnite and were ignored and then they make amogus fortnite
I'm certain that Epic would've tried to acquire the studio before copying the game, they bought Fall Guys which is also easily copied and fitting for Fortnite.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
i think what we're seeing now is the start of the AMOGUS genre and its branching after TTT, just as we saw the start of the PUBG genre. PUBG no doubt ripped off ARMA 2's Wasteland and took one of the most fun features of that game into something else.
crazy how the Arma 2 mod DayZ made pretty much every survival game on the market today possible and how Arma 2's Wasteland made pretty much every BR game possible.
trend setters they are, funky how their own standalone game ended up being absolute asshole. goes to show how easily you can fuck a simple concept.

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae
but we're not looking at PUBG vs Fortnite or Fortnite vs Apex or H1Z1, or Cookout Royale, or surviv.io
they each add something to the game, or are uniquely them
you can easily explain why each of them are in military settings, because its a shooter

the difference isnt as wide as Apex vs H1Z1, these are trashy and dishonest comparisons

no, no. My point wasn’t that these games are the same, they’re in the genre of battle royale.

if among us copyrighted prior to this, what would they copyright it as?

If h1z1 copyrighted it, how would they describe their patent?

Ingame ring gets smaller whilst guns are around and you pvp other players

like the issue is you allow these copyrights they disallow future games using these core mechanics

I’m not saying fortnite isn’t fucked. I’m saying that this is how it has to be cause the alternative is fucking awful