GTARP Screenshot Thread - Jay's Crack Addiction Edition

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
To be fair though, my experience is that the gameplay mechanic grinders are the exception and there's been so many people that I've met on both cop and criminal that have been open to shenanigans and just fun roleplay.

Reactions: List

key

Nebulae
I really want to see this take off and become something big in the GTA scene, so I'd like to offer up some introspective on how to maybe stimulate player engagement on the bottom line. I want to preface by saying I'm not trying to be critical or pessimistic, I have a vested interest in this succeeding overall and would like to contribute further down the line from both an IC and OOC perspective.

I think mechanic grinding is happening to an extent because things are a little confusing as to how to take off and get started as a citizen, and one of the first things I think we should address is a car. Cars are, in my opinion, the most basic and fundamental aspect of the GTA gameplay loop in general. It's a big map, and traveling takes time, and yes there are taxis and whatnot - but nothing really compares to the freedom of a personal vehicle to get around the huge map that is San Andreas.

I mentioned a loan or payment system of sorts earlier, to make a way for people to purchase a basic vehicle (no Pegasi super cars or anything ridiculous of course) because I think just having something as simple as this for most people will MASSIVELY boost the drive to engage because you can go anywhere and do anything at that point. It enables you to move around the world and get to places where the action is happening without having to order a taxi or struggle to find an alternative means of transportation. There are some drawbacks to state/game governed loans, but I'm not talking cash money in your hands - just the ability to finance a purchase for something like a car that you pay back over time so that we don't have to flood liquid cash into the player hands and destabilize the economy. Maybe you even have to do a few jobs at first to prove to the bank that you've got income, and also to prevent people from being able to make throwaways and immediately hit the ground running.

The only thing that's felt really frustrating from a player perspective to me, on the level of citizen engagement, has been this issue itself. Getting around has been somewhat of a pain and has discouraged me to a point from playing on anything other than my EMS character. I'd like to go around and engage with people but it feels off putting when I'm somehow the only guy in a city full of crazy psychotic locals who can't afford a basic car to get around and do things with. Maybe things like taxis do encourage more development and interaction - but they can still serve a purpose. The other day I rescued someone with a taxi who was stranded because their car had been totaled and they needed transportation, and during the course of our conversation we formed a new working relationship, so I don't think those sorts of interactions would go away completely with most every player owning a car.

I might be blowing this a bit out of proportion, but I want to make clear I'm not throwing a fit or trying to complain. I'm just trying to point out something that I think may be detrimental to player retention on a larger scale. Those moments in between interactions when I'm walking around looking for things to happen feel uninteresting, and I'm usually prompted to switch over to my EMS where I know I can get some immediate gratification. For players without this option, they might stop playing - and you could argue that maybe players who lose interest that quickly aren't the kind of people we're looking for - but maybe just because they get bored quickly doesn't mean they couldn't stir up some interesting roleplay for others.

Either way, the early economy is the main thing I'm talking about addressing. I think leaving depth and exploration up in the air is good and makes things interesting for new players, because there's stuff to explore and uncover as you go. Half of the intrigue to me in HL2RP, when I was first starting out, was just how mysterious and huge the world felt. But that rapid early development wasn't as necessary because the map was a fraction of a size, and you could find people around every corner hustling and bustling and doing their thing - so all you had to do was engage, and you were off to the races. In a map as huge as GTA V's it's not that simple - you have to look for it, and I think making sure players have as many ways to do that as possible is vital. I'm really trying not to ramble here, so I hope I'm making some sort of sense right now.

An argument could be made that maybe you should just put more time into figuring it out and engaging, but some people have more restricted schedules and not as much free time to play. People who don't have a lot of time are going to inevitably lose interest when they are faced with a system that inherently requires a lot of time to just get the bare minimum. I know, a little bit of effort could probably get you to where you want to be - but making it easier to get things started can only be beneficial. I really think that just having a little jumpstart could kick things off and get you into gear to start doing all of these other things, and developing your character/making a story. Making it so that this system can't be abused to bring you into infinite wealth and prosperity is obviously important - getting started should be simple, making a fortune is where you have to invest a bit of your time.

I've got a lot of word vomit here, so some feedback could be of great use. I want my positions to be challenged outright - pick it apart, dissect it, see if it's bullshit or maybe has something to it. At the end of the day I'm looking for ways that could optimize the early citizen experience, so flaws need to be eliminated in order to create a system that would not only work but not be vulnerable to exploitation or failing outright.

It's 3AM and I don't know who I am anymore. Thank you for reading, or not reading. I don't know.

Warwick

Mum Looks Like Tracy Beaker
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I really want to see this take off and become something big in the GTA scene, so I'd like to offer up some introspective on how to maybe stimulate player engagement on the bottom line. I want to preface by saying I'm not trying to be critical or pessimistic, I have a vested interest in this succeeding overall and would like to contribute further down the line from both an IC and OOC perspective.

I think mechanic grinding is happening to an extent because things are a little confusing as to how to take off and get started as a citizen, and one of the first things I think we should address is a car. Cars are, in my opinion, the most basic and fundamental aspect of the GTA gameplay loop in general. It's a big map, and traveling takes time, and yes there are taxis and whatnot - but nothing really compares to the freedom of a personal vehicle to get around the huge map that is San Andreas.

I mentioned a loan or payment system of sorts earlier, to make a way for people to purchase a basic vehicle (no Pegasi super cars or anything ridiculous of course) because I think just having something as simple as this for most people will MASSIVELY boost the drive to engage because you can go anywhere and do anything at that point. It enables you to move around the world and get to places where the action is happening without having to order a taxi or struggle to find an alternative means of transportation. There are some drawbacks to state/game governed loans, but I'm not talking cash money in your hands - just the ability to finance a purchase for something like a car that you pay back over time so that we don't have to flood liquid cash into the player hands and destabilize the economy. Maybe you even have to do a few jobs at first to prove to the bank that you've got income, and also to prevent people from being able to make throwaways and immediately hit the ground running.

The only thing that's felt really frustrating from a player perspective to me, on the level of citizen engagement, has been this issue itself. Getting around has been somewhat of a pain and has discouraged me to a point from playing on anything other than my EMS character. I'd like to go around and engage with people but it feels off putting when I'm somehow the only guy in a city full of crazy psychotic locals who can't afford a basic car to get around and do things with. Maybe things like taxis do encourage more development and interaction - but they can still serve a purpose. The other day I rescued someone with a taxi who was stranded because their car had been totaled and they needed transportation, and during the course of our conversation we formed a new working relationship, so I don't think those sorts of interactions would go away completely with most every player owning a car.

I might be blowing this a bit out of proportion, but I want to make clear I'm not throwing a fit or trying to complain. I'm just trying to point out something that I think may be detrimental to player retention on a larger scale. Those moments in between interactions when I'm walking around looking for things to happen feel uninteresting, and I'm usually prompted to switch over to my EMS where I know I can get some immediate gratification. For players without this option, they might stop playing - and you could argue that maybe players who lose interest that quickly aren't the kind of people we're looking for - but maybe just because they get bored quickly doesn't mean they couldn't stir up some interesting roleplay for others.

Either way, the early economy is the main thing I'm talking about addressing. I think leaving depth and exploration up in the air is good and makes things interesting for new players, because there's stuff to explore and uncover as you go. Half of the intrigue to me in HL2RP, when I was first starting out, was just how mysterious and huge the world felt. But that rapid early development wasn't as necessary because the map was a fraction of a size, and you could find people around every corner hustling and bustling and doing their thing - so all you had to do was engage, and you were off to the races. In a map as huge as GTA V's it's not that simple - you have to look for it, and I think making sure players have as many ways to do that as possible is vital. I'm really trying not to ramble here, so I hope I'm making some sort of sense right now.

An argument could be made that maybe you should just put more time into figuring it out and engaging, but some people have more restricted schedules and not as much free time to play. People who don't have a lot of time are going to inevitably lose interest when they are faced with a system that inherently requires a lot of time to just get the bare minimum. I know, a little bit of effort could probably get you to where you want to be - but making it easier to get things started can only be beneficial. I really think that just having a little jumpstart could kick things off and get you into gear to start doing all of these other things, and developing your character/making a story. Making it so that this system can't be abused to bring you into infinite wealth and prosperity is obviously important - getting started should be simple, making a fortune is where you have to invest a bit of your time.

I've got a lot of word vomit here, so some feedback could be of great use. I want my positions to be challenged outright - pick it apart, dissect it, see if it's bullshit or maybe has something to it. At the end of the day I'm looking for ways that could optimize the early citizen experience, so flaws need to be eliminated in order to create a system that would not only work but not be vulnerable to exploitation or failing outright.

It's 3AM and I don't know who I am anymore. Thank you for reading, or not reading. I don't know.
I think a few decent ideas would include making taxi jobs pay much better (unrelated to the cost of the taxi itself) to encourage the RP aspect of it, and give people a better way around. Furthermore, heavily increase lockpick prices, or just make more vehicles unpickable. At this point, nobody’s (at least on the even tamer end of the criminal spectrum) going to buy a hella expensive car when there’s theoretically many, better cars at their disposal (emphasis on disposal) for a mere 300 bucks.

Finally, I might recommend an adjustment to the rental system for cars. Adjust it to a proper lease, where you get a nice-ish compact or sedan for a couple thousand (5,000-10,000) bucks, and that car is yours and persists, and can be parked, for up to a week. Then, you can renew the lease for a reduced cost (25%-50%) if you so choose.

This might not totally fix or change anything, just my two cents. I think a lot of people will be more inclined to buy cars when they can resell them. At present, it’s a big investment for something you’ll never get any return at all on.

key

Nebulae
I think a few decent ideas would include making taxi jobs pay much better (unrelated to the cost of the taxi itself) to encourage the RP aspect of it, and give people a better way around. Furthermore, heavily increase lockpick prices, or just make more vehicles unpickable. At this point, nobody’s (at least on the even tamer end of the criminal spectrum) going to buy a hella expensive car when there’s theoretically many, better cars at their disposal (emphasis on disposal) for a mere 300 bucks.

Finally, I might recommend an adjustment to the rental system for cars. Adjust it to a proper lease, where you get a nice-ish compact or sedan for a couple thousand (5,000-10,000) bucks, and that car is yours and persists, and can be parked, for up to a week. Then, you can renew the lease for a reduced cost (25%-50%) if you so choose.

This might not totally fix or change anything, just my two cents. I think a lot of people will be more inclined to buy cars when they can resell them. At present, it’s a big investment for something you’ll never get any return at all on.
I actually like that idea more. Leasing out rentals over longer terms than one instance of gameplay avoids some of the problems that come with just outright making cars easier to purchase. Rentals become more viable short term but relying on them in the long term could be costly and a waste of your money. It seems a bit more balanced, I think.

Chezburger

american idiot
Nebulae
20230720041854_1.jpg

EMT

Enormous Medical Tushie

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I think there's a bigger issue at hand tbh. Like we talk about buying/renting/using taxi's but realistically: why isn't this commonly happening? It's a simple matter of no one having the reliable/steady income to be able to afford them without grinding those mechanics. Why would I burn thousands on renting for a single session when I could save that money for the extremely high boundary of buying? Moreover when it comes to the taxi's, again, it's a toxic relationship where the taxi drivers don't make enough usually to promote them being a 24/7 thing so players often find other means of transportation and raising the prices to help the taxi drivers activity currently would just cause people to not use the taxi service because it'd be a worse version of renting.

On nerfing the lockpick, again, this isn't a good idea because you're just going to either pricegate players out of the server as it currently stands and force them to walk everywhere which will result in them just quitting (believe me, I love this server with a burning passion but if I couldn't grab a car as quick as I currently can an, I would 100% put everything on hold until the economy improved because a walking simulator just sounds insufferable) so honestly it needs to stay as it is.

Rather than nerfing the lockpick, let's instead buff everything else to make stealing those nicer cars more of a risk/choice and less so a requirement to get around. Bringing the buying prices down of cars and increasing the ways to make money or increasing the payouts of current jobs would probably aid that. Then, and only then, step up the rate cops check for stolen vehicles, that way with the gate being more accessible and the risk/penalty for using a stolen vehicle being higher the player will be more incentivised to use other ways.

All of that being said, we're not even on our 1-weekiversary yet and I'm certain the devs are listening to us and I'm certain things will pick up soon enough, especially when you consider that the gameplay update posts aren't even detailing the criminal advancements being made for sake of leaving them up for discovery.

(also, on the robbing stores front you unironically can find out IC, I did and it's surprisingly easy - it's just not how you're thinking)

RedMan

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
perhaps players werent meant to start robbing grocery stores and terrorizing the city within the first week of the servers lifespan, and instead get themselves into drama with other characters or make new friends and establish groups - that way when the way to rob these stores finally clicks, there's a lot more meaning behind it and already some developed stories between players
It's why I try to partner up with other cop characters whenever it is possible. Sure, we could use the extra cruiser for pursuits and what not, but responding as a duo not only makes the work a fair bit easier, but it also allows characters to collide and interact - especially when it comes to the Cadets since you can share a lot of information and speed up the learning process that way.

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae
It's why I try to partner up with other cop characters whenever it is possible. Sure, we could use the extra cruiser for pursuits and what not, but responding as a duo not only makes the work a fair bit easier, but it also allows characters to collide and interact - especially when it comes to the Cadets since you can share a lot of information and speed up the learning process that way.
my head still hurts from that one @maxi

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I think some may be forgetting that the server started 6 days ago. The only reason the PDM vehicle shop was introduced so soon is because players were requesting it be added.

The first week priority was not to push players into a grind or toward buying their first asset, it’s to push players to roleplay.

There are a lot of upcoming changes on our roadmap, the public jobs or petty crime are not intended to be a quick gateway to buying your first vehicle.

Last edited:

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
EheB2d3.jpeg

THE FUCKING CHOP SHOP GUY GOT STEADY

of course I murdered the guy and drove steady to pillbox but it was too late... no one was there..

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
the best part is they dont stop shooting you once you're down. they keep unloading into your corpse until you look like swiss cheese lmfao
they also had dogs, so the dogs would run up to me, bite me and get me out of the downed animation and id get shot to shit before falling back to the ground. repeat

they moved me all the way down the street through this method