Half-Life: Alyx Official Thread

Rusty Pebbles

Stick in the mud
Nebulae
It's pretty fun. I've been having a great time so far. One of the few down sides I've seen are the bugs here and there. Most particularly the one where if you're "dash" walking too fast, you no-clip out the map. It was a fucking joke how many times I've had this happen in one particular instance.

comradic

Molecule
Nebulae
concept art for Jeff
f25ceaf.jpg

Reactions: List

Matty

Proton
Nebulae
concept art for Jeff
f25ceaf.jpg

instead of getting vomited on if this guy hears you he just starts mashing his claw hammer like mad in front of him
screaming 'BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK'
if he catches you?
One hard CHOMP followed by a masked 'AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'

Gabby

Atom
Nebulae
Behold! A mong whose opinion on the matter is null, and void. Say, if you had gone through the game.. You'd be well aware that the tone of Half-Life: Alyx has not deviated from the tone of Half-Life, whatsoever. You'd be outright wrong to even suggest so. Half-Life never, ever took it self with the amount of bland, run of the mill seriousness as implied.

Can you speak from experience, not from watching snippets? Can you provide an example of this so-called "generic dialogue"? I don't think so. Settle down, yeah? Upset you can't experience Half-Life: Alyx? Understandable, by all means. There's no excuse for spewing a bunch of baseless gibberish, however. Save us next time from the time wasted reading through all of that.
its a really fun game my man
I don’t understand, how do you get to decide if the game is good or not if you don’t even know the basics of the story?
You all said the same thing about Fallout 76, I'll take my pass

venutianPunk

Leftist Cuck
Nebulae
On Half-Life: Alyx being sold for VR:
Valve themselves stated that they utilize the entries in Half-Life to assist the industry in pushing the limitations of current and upcoming technology; and this can be clearly seen in all their main entries. Half-Life, Half-Life 2, and Half-Life: Alyx each have their 'gimmicks' that they rely heavily on. Arguing that the game would not be much without VR is not much of an argument at all; as you are correct - the way HL:A is designed and paced is suited best for a VR experience. The entire game is meant to be slowly gone through while you interact with anything and everything you can get your grubby virtual mitts on. Taking away the VR-aspect leaves just a slow-paced game that does not have the most engaging combat - because when you're in VR, that combat does feel real and exciting, but outside of it you're wanting to backwards hop across the map at warp speeds, ramming the nearest physics object into whatever enemy you come across as if you are Gordon Freeman. VR isn't there (yet).

If you cannot afford VR, which I myself cannot, there are other options. I took a lot of joy in just watching a no-commentary run of the game. If you want to play it instead of watching it, the Half-Life modding community is always on point, and with HL:A it is not any different. There is at least one if not several non-VR versions of HL:A currently in the works.​

On the Overhaul of the OTA:

So the Soldiers can chat among themselves, what about it? They're not robots, and will never be unless their brains were entirely swapped out for literal computers. Just because they can emote the most basic emotions there are does not mean they are not as ruthless as ever - clearly they are not, as there is plenty of first-hand evidence that can be played through. They are aggressive, well-armed, and inspire fear when you look at them at the beginning of the game.

Let us also remember that these soldiers are visually far different from those we are so familiar with. Are they really the exact same? Are these individuals as-far in the transhumanization process as the other ones? We know there are different variants of the traditional OTA soldier, so why can we not stretch that further? Why should we limit ourselves to the strictest definition possible?
On The Return of Eli Vance:
I do not see it as some sort of insult to Robert Guillaume that Valve brought back Eli Vance at the very end of HL:A. Why would it be, as are we not able to differentiate between Eli and Robert? They are very much two distinct ideas that can be separated due to the fact that the former is a character in a fictional video game series and the latter was a real man who lived his own life very much apart from Eli's career as a scientist at Black Mesa and later a senior figure in the resistance against an inter-dimensional empire. It's not as if they are exhuming his body and puppeting it around - they took a character from their story, made James Moses Black the new voice actor for him, and wrote a very decent explanation as to how he is back. It's worth pointing out that James objectively did well in his role, and Eli - for the few moments we see and hear of him - is held true to how he was written in HL:2 and its subsequent episodes.

If you see it as more of a problem that Eli was brought back to life, that is not what happened. The G-Man plucked !pastAlyx, placed her into the moment where Eli would have been killed by the Advisor, and allowed her to interfere with The Russells. You can think of it like a divergence from the timeline we knew, making a new branch where Eli never died; as opposed to them taking Eli's cadaver and performing some ritual with the Vortessence or with whatever else G-Man has under his sleeves. Also, it isn't without its drawbacks. Alyx, very much a crucial piece of the both the resistance's leadership and its operations, has been stored away by the G-Man for who knows what.

2312152c791d4db3e1cf0fb74d5700f8.png

Zink

Neutrino
Nebulae
concept art for Jeff
f25ceaf.jpg
Was Jeff originally meant to be apart of the Combine, in the sense of being modified, or apart of the trans-human arm? It'd be a treat to see the original story-line for Alyx, before it was all scrapped, rewritten.

Raiden

cool cat
Premium Member
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Easily game of the year without a single shadow of a doubt, made me splash out for a VR headset and boy is it worth it - it's one of those games where my fucking MUM asked to go on it because it looked so fun, so I let her have a go and honestly it was the most hilarious yet awe-inspiring thing I've ever seen.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Easily game of the year without a single shadow of a doubt, made me splash out for a VR headset and boy is it worth it - it's one of those games where my fucking MUM asked to go on it because it looked so fun, so I let her have a go and honestly it was the most hilarious yet awe-inspiring thing I've ever seen.

could get bested by CB77