i prefer sun yat-sen
Based post

Reactions: List

liew

Don't Shoot I'm Too Short
Nebulae
181005-1411-948-0900-165249-0610xxjeep.jpg

_83372465_occ4.jpg

After Austria was 'liberated' much like Germany, it was separated into zones - and like Berlin, Vienna was also split into zones among the four great powers at the time, the USSR, U.S, France and Britain.

However there was much debacle over a certain district in Vienna which was home to all the main educational institutions and government buildings. Each side however came upon an agreement which saw the whole district being overseen by all four of the foreign powers.

This was seen with 'four men in a jeep' who patrolled the district together.

b397245a.jpg

die-vier-im-jeep.jpg

It was so extraordinary that a film was made about it in 1951 called 'Four in a Jeep'

FBUSTAa%20jeep1.jpg

34299-0-1.OTS.jpg

Last edited:

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
dSyN9wj6C6Y4fdyyUd3rY8lUZv015-Y7axiSAI6nJsg.jpg

i prefer sun yat-sen
sun yat-sen posting is god tier

181005-1411-948-0900-165249-0610xxjeep.jpg

_83372465_occ4.jpg

After Austria was 'liberated' much like Germany, it was separated into zones - and like Berlin, Vienna was also split into zones among the four great powers at the time, the USSR, U.S, France and Britain.

However there was much debacle over a certain district in Vienna which was home to all the main educational institutions and government buildings. Each side however came upon an agreement which saw the whole district being overseen by all four of the foreign powers.

This was seen with 'four men in a jeep' who patrolled the district together.

b397245a.jpg

die-vier-im-jeep.jpg

It was so extraordinary that a film was made about it in 1951 called 'Four in a Jeep'

FBUSTAa%20jeep1.jpg

34299-0-1.OTS.jpg

not only do i fucking love this but it sounds exactly like the best buddy cop movie ever made

4 men in a jeep hunt nazis in Vienna, 1946, starring seth rogan, kevin hart, liam neeson and bruce willis - all with bad fake accents

Rondal

And whole beasts of nations desire power
Nebulae

I always was fond of the events of World War Two, but I was surprised, having only watched this last year, at the ability for it to surprise me yet again. The introduction of colorized video footage makes the situation seem all the more real, and in some way lets you sympathize to the conflict itself.

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae

I always was fond of the events of World War Two, but I was surprised, having only watched this last year, at the ability for it to surprise me yet again. The introduction of colorized video footage makes the situation seem all the more real, and in some way lets you sympathize to the conflict itself.

4am, in from the town, got yourself a maccas

sit down and watch some ww2 in colour, life is good

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
s8o113ievur21.jpg

Henri Julliot's dirigible "The Yellow" in Paris, November 1903

3bugyqeftur21.jpg

Belka, a Soviet dog who went to space in the Sputnik 5. She returned to Earth safely. August 1960

cxjgx81lavr21.jpg

Underwater Atomic Bomb Test, Bikini Atoll, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, August 1946

bes%C3%A6ttelsen-7.jpg

Bombing of the Gestapo headquarter in Copenhagen, Shellhuset, by the RAF. May 21 1945

0ampv1w6lrr21.png

South Vietnamese War Elephants on patrol in the Central Highlands, 1962​

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

khtc5ww3yzr21.jpg

Captured U.S. pilot major Dewey Waddell is guarded by a militiawoman with a gun and a bayonet on a rice field. Vietnam, 1967.

490730kpecr21.jpg

Andrei Tarkovsky with his father Arseny, ca. 1935.

neywxyguk5r21.jpg

Crew of B-29 “Waddy’s Wagon” poses to duplicate their caricatures in the nose art. Led by American football star Capt."Waddy" Young, Saipan 1944

cyaxp8in52r21.jpg

Colonel Alfred Redl head of Austro-Hungarian counter-intelligence and a arch-traitor. Blackmailed by Russians after they found out that he was gay, he sold military secrets to Russia that contributed to military disasters of Austria at start of ww1

b2lw0mxn0zq21.jpg

Robert Capas famous photo of an American soldier killed by German sniper in Leipzig, 18 april 1945

TinPan

Needs to blow his nose
Nebulae
fgzpeqtjm0wx.jpg

British Mounted Police perform a cavalry charge in Trafalgar Square during the poll tax riots, 31 March 1990

5907a3ee2f6ae4431f8b4e7a-750-1119.jpg

A national guard soldier at the eastern part of Koreatown during the LA riots, somewhere between April & May 1992

als_rostock_lichtenhagen_brannte_15.jpg

German riot police, outnumbered, attempt to quell xenophobic rioters attacking migrants and their residences in Rostock-Lichtenhagen, 22 - 24 August 1992

04d760c8890e9441ef7bf988e5de703a

A man is arrested by Australian police officers after him and hundreds of protestors broke down the front door to the Parliament House, 19 August 1996

1526718745824-1998-05-12T120000Z_292742538_PBEAHUMBREJ_RTRMADP_3_INDONESIA.jpeg

Looters raiding the contents of a store during the '98 Indonesian riots as a result of a collapsed economy & unemployment, 4 - 15 May 1998

D

Deleted member 332

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_War_Medal
Zh6bXBw.jpg

snNOCa6.jpg

My great great grandfather's medal, survived the war. I don't know much else unfortunately.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Medal_1939–1945
ZqriHKe.jpg

zRPYlnt.jpg

My great grandfather's medal. Fought in France as infantry- Also survived.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Medal_(United_Kingdom)
JzdXmu6.jpg

P5bf128.jpg

My great great uncle's medal, was an anti-aircraft gunner somewhere around Liverpool (whole family on my mum's side is from liverpool/Ireland) and also survived.

Liverpool-blitz-image.png

walton.jpg

Malakand-explosion-Liverpool.jpg

WW2Goree-Overhead-bomb.jpg

My grandad was four at the time of the Liverpool Blitz raids and one of his first memories (if not his first, he never said) was getting lost in the town after the air raid sirens went off. He was out with his mum and got seperated from her in a crowd. He said he remembered the sky being almost black with planes and the noise scared the hell out of him. Pretty much straight away a guy ran past and picked him up with a little girl in his other arm, took them both to an air raid shelter. Afterwards the guy dropped him off at a police station and then they brought him back to my great nan (his mum). Who knows, if that guy didn't grab him then I might not be here now. crazy stuff.

axido

whatttttttt
Nebulae

nothing new but probably the only video of a proper tank duel during ww2 in cologne

german tank was struck 3 times from the side by a 90mm cannon, nasty yet cool

M26_Pershing_3AD_in_action_Cologne_6mar1945.jpg

M26Cologne.jpg

ColognePanther.jpg

Cologne_Cathedral_1.jpg

liew

Don't Shoot I'm Too Short
Nebulae

nothing new but probably the only video of a proper tank duel during ww2 in cologne

german tank was struck 3 times from the side by a 90mm cannon, nasty yet cool

M26_Pershing_3AD_in_action_Cologne_6mar1945.jpg

M26Cologne.jpg

ColognePanther.jpg

Cologne_Cathedral_1.jpg

This is honestly quite spectacular.

Given that I've been to that exact square in that last two pictures, these pictures are all the more interesting to me on a personal level - the whole fact that there was a war going on and people died there seventy odd years ago in what's now a bustling metropolis. I might be overthinking it, but it's just the fact that to me seeing this place in person and now seeing it in the pictures that you've posted gives a whole new perspective on things.

axido

whatttttttt
Nebulae
This is honestly quite spectacular.

Given that I've been to that exact square in that last two pictures, these pictures are all the more interesting to me on a personal level - the whole fact that there was a war going on and people died there seventy odd years ago in what's now a bustling metropolis. I might be overthinking it, but it's just the fact that to me seeing this place in person and now seeing it in the pictures that you've posted gives a whole new perspective on things.

here you have some more comparison then
marzellealtneu.jpg
areal2.jpg

sammelplatz.jpg

view from the cathedral:
domblickneuklein.jpg
domheute.jpg

tera

Atom
Nebulae
x9rg52j4d7s21.jpg

Sergeant Billy the Canadian goat.

The men managed to get the goat on board the SS Lapland and overseas to England, where they arrived in October 1914. They managed to keep him from being quarantined when they arrived and moved to Lark Hill Camp. Billy (the goat) was smuggled to France in February 1915 by his "boys", who refused to leave him behind as ordered.

sgt-bill-the-goat.png

At Neuve Chapelle in February 1915 Billy was given the rank of sergeant. Later at Ypres, he was once found in a shell crater standing guard over a Prussian guardsman, in spite of the fact that he was bleeding from a shrapnel wound. He is also credited with saving three people's lives, getting more shrapnel wounds in his neck in the process, for which he received the Mons Star. During a time of shelling, Sergeant Billy, possibly forewarned by his superior hearing, once butted a sergeant and two others into a mud-filled trench just before a shell exploded where they had been standing. Bill also received the General Service Medal and the Victory Medal.

uzf8q8ty4fi7fnalbkup.jpg

source:
http://roadstothegreatwar-ww1.blogspot.com/2015/03/remembering-veteran-sgt-bill-goat-5th.html (The Canadian Veterinary Journal, 1993)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1686686/
https://www.storey.com/article/sue-weaver-animals-who-served-for-our/

Last edited:

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
1*_a3k4YvY0o1beJE3zXMTMQ.jpeg

Jacob C. Miller holds quite possibly the most interesting and lucky tails of survival in the whole American Civil War. During the Battle of Chickamauga in 1863. Jacob was shot in the head by a piece of Confederate buck and ball. And left for dead by his company after they were forced to fall back.
xUnknown-4_v_1458865802.jpeg.pagespeed.ic.HZCHp4OkHk.jpg

The main reason Jacob survived was due to the fact that buck and ball lost velocity heavily after about 100 yards. And it was only used in smoothbore rifles. After being left for dead. Jacob stood back up. And walked back behind lines to seek medical attention. And he wrote later on
When I came to my senses some time after I found I was in the rear of the confederate line. So not to become a prisoner I made up my mind to make an effort to get around their line and back on my own side. I got up with the help of my gun as a staff, then went back some distance, then started parallel with the line of battle. I suppose I was so covered with blood that those that I met, did not notice that I was a Yank, (at least our Major, my former captain did not recognize me when I met him after passing to our own side).”
He then continues to walk around with a musket ball lodged in his skull for 31 more years. Until one day. He coughed so hard that the musket ball and all the shrapnel plopped right out of the hole in his head. Jacob was even awarded the Medal of Honor in 1864 for his actions in Vicksburg a few months before he was wounded. He lived until 1917. When he died of natural causes.​

ButtonLip

I really was wilbur whateley the whole time
Nebulae
x9rg52j4d7s21.jpg

Sergeant Billy the Canadian goat.

The men managed to get the goat on board the SS Lapland and overseas to England, where they arrived in October 1914. They managed to keep him from being quarantined when they arrived and moved to Lark Hill Camp. Billy (the goat) was smuggled to France in February 1915 by his "boys", who refused to leave him behind as ordered.

sgt-bill-the-goat.png

At Neuve Chapelle in February 1915 Billy was given the rank of sergeant. Later at Ypres, he was once found in a shell crater standing guard over a Prussian guardsman, in spite of the fact that he was bleeding from a shrapnel wound. He is also credited with saving three people's lives, getting more shrapnel wounds in his neck in the process, for which he received the Mons Star. During a time of shelling, Sergeant Billy, possibly forewarned by his superior hearing, once butted a sergeant and two others into a mud-filled trench just before a shell exploded where they had been standing. Bill also received the General Service Medal and the Victory Medal.

uzf8q8ty4fi7fnalbkup.jpg

source:
http://roadstothegreatwar-ww1.blogspot.com/2015/03/remembering-veteran-sgt-bill-goat-5th.html (The Canadian Veterinary Journal, 1993)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1686686/
https://www.storey.com/article/sue-weaver-animals-who-served-for-our/

Speaking of animals in the midst of war, the best I'm familiar with is Corporal Wojtek. I read they're making a movie about him, too.

maxresdefault.jpg

f-wojtek-a-20190114-870x625.jpg

wojtek-soldier-bear-96

wojtek-monument-36