• Thread starter Deleted member 1381
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 332

220px-GP-5_Gasmaskenfilter.jpg

Inb4 they used actual Soviet respirator filters

Inb4 they're filled with asbestos

Inb4 lung cancer

Edit: wait holy shit hang on- at 2:02...

Is that Alan Lee? THAT'S FUCKING ALAN LEE, THAT'S THE GUY ILLUSTRATED LORD OF THE RINGS WHAT THE FUCK

Last edited by a moderator:

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

gyi5zzwdvxo21.jpg

A British army "snatch squad" rescues a wounded colleague stranded in the Republican Falls Road era of Belfast. 1977.

f9qol1xfb3p21.jpg

Austro Hungarian soldier on the Alps, May of 1917

gh503x1x2vo21.jpg

Japanese high school girls training with bamboo spears in preparation for a U.S. invasion. 1940s.

pFoRauqd75OrHQp5KcJvd7HDapYkVTxXv4mqf0rIGro.jpg

After inspecting a couple of pistols formerly owned by Jesse James, Vice President Garner playfully tries his "stickup" technique on Senator Harry Truman of Missouri, present owner of the guns, 1938

pbrcshl7jro21.jpg

University of Michigan football team, 1934. Within 4 decades, the man at left would be President of the United States.

Reactions: List

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
55752472_2627017027315677_7284891143974682624_n.jpg

Ritual sacrifice of Roman prisoners of war by the Germanic Frisians; year AD 28. Illustration by Milek Jakubiec.

The scene depicts events leading up to the Battle of Baduhenna Forest, which occurred in the year AD 28, somewhere in the north of what is now the Netherlands.

The battle of Baduhenna Forest occurred when the Roman military attempted to crush a revolt by the Frisians, a Germanic people inhabiting the coastal areas of the Wadden sea. Up until that year, the small tribe had avoided conflict with the gigantic superpower by remaining neutral in all the conflicts the Empire had been waging throughout Germany. They had even submitted to Roman power without a fight in the year 12 B.C., when the governor of Gaul, Nero Claudius Drusus, marched through their territory while on campaign against other Germanic peoples.

After the 12 B.C. campaign, Drusus imposed only a light tribute burden on the Frisians, which included providing young men for military service. A subsequent Roman governor however, vastly increased the tax burden, decimating the herds and crops of the beleaguered Frisians and creating widespread discontent.

In the year AD 28, after their wives and children had been taken in lieu of the tribute they’d been unable to pay, the outraged tribesmen rose in open revolt. The enraged Germans turned upon the soldiers tasked with collecting the tax and massacred them. The Roman historian Tacitus states that the Roman soldiers were executed by hanging after being taken prisoner, as depicted in the illustration. This almost certainly implies ritual human sacrifice, which was a common practice among the Celtic and Germanic natives of Europe. The corrupt governor fled shamefully and was pursued to a nearby fort, which was then surrounded and besieged by vindictive rebel tribesmen.

News of the revolt reached Lucius Apronius, the propraetor of Germania Inferior province. Sensing the emergent nature of the matters at hand, Apronius gathered a sizeable army of both Roman legionaries and Germanic auxiliaries to try and stamp out the revolt. Rushing to the besieged governor’s rescue, Apronius and his forces began devastating Frisian farmsteads and killing women and children. This shameful and unsavory tactic was successful in that it forced the Frisians to abandon their siege of the fort and rush back to defend their families. Having lifted the siege and rescued the governor, Apronius decided to prosecute the issue to its bitter end. He built bridges and cleared paths through forests in an effort to pursue and annihilate the Frisians. The Romans tracked the fleeing refugees to a forest that was sacred to the goddess Baduhenna, where the terrified people had fled for safety. There, the tribesmen stood their ground and turned to fight a desperate battle against the Romans, in defense of their families. In spite of sending reinforcements into the fray, Apronius’ forces were resoundingly defeated and put to flight. The Roman general was himself forced to flee in order to save his own life. Over the course of the following two days, as the Romans reached safety and began piecing together an understanding of everything that happened, they would be horrified by the tidings they’d receive: Nine hundred or so Romans who hadn’t managed to flee the initial clash, had been surrounded in Baduhenna wood and killed the following day while fighting with desperate courage. Another four hundred had fled to the farmstead of a Frisian named Cruptorix, who was known to the Romans because he had once served in their army as an auxiliary. These soldiers were tracked down and surrounded there by the vengeful tribesmen. Knowing the horrors that awaited them if they were taken prisoner, the besieged Romans chose to commit suicide rather than surrender.

Not surprisingly, the hellish episode caused the Romans to suddenly lose interest in tampering with the locals. Forts were abandoned and the tribespeople were left to their own devices from thence forward. The Romans did not even venture to carry out punitive revenge campaigns or attempt to recover bodies for burial; the matter was left as it stood. The Frisians were thus liberated from the yoke of Roman oppression and news of their victory spread like wildfire. As a result, the Frisians gained a great deal of prestige among all the tribes of Germania.

Of note is the name of one of the Frisians who may have been involved in this episode, the farmer and former Roman soldier, Cruptorix. Enigmatically, his name appears to be Celtic, rather than Germanic. In like manner, numerous Germanic tribesmen from other tribes in that immediate vicinity, notably the Sicambri and Ampsivarii, appear in the historical record with seemingly Celtic names. Some modern historians and linguists have taken this as evidence of a Celtic origin for many German tribes inhabiting the area, or at least of a Celtic origin for their ruling dynasties. Others have posited the existence of a separate language, thought of as transitionary between Celtic and Germanic, or perhaps a hybrid creole between the two. The term most often used for this hypothetical and undefined linguistic zone is “Nordwestblock”.

Source:

Cornelius Tacitus. “The Annals”. Book 4, section 72.

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
remember kids if the big guy is bullying you bully him back even harder by murdering hundreds of people

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
u2ceroxh8eq21.jpg

Astronaut Dave Scott looks at Earth from the Apollo 9 Command Module in March, 1969. NASA photo

49cq4w28ikq21.jpg

A perimeter guard on shore, during a heavy rain, tries to keep dry while guarding SS Baton Rouge Victory after the ship hit a mine on the Long Tao River, Vietnam. Photographed by T.W. Geren, 29 August 1966.

tduqxbppe7q21.jpg

I remember flames... I remember screams." An Italian MB-339 crashing into the crowd during the Ramstein Air Show, killing 67 and injuring more than 500 - Germany, 1988

ejydby4s5aq21.png

Contrails above London after dogfight between British RAF and Nazi Luftwaffe pilots, 1940

a8noq74udaq21.jpg

Prime Minister Winston Churchill addresses British troops in old Roman amphitheater at Carthage, Tunisia, on 1 June 1943.

liew

Don't Shoot I'm Too Short
Nebulae
Little known piece of history - the Polish pretty much formed the Pakistani Air Force

It's all thanks to this man:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Władysław_Turowicz
57ee9e6631016.jpg

Third man from the left is Władysław Turowicz.

"Turowicz was born to an aristocratic family in the village of Wadziejewsko in Siberia (Russia) in 1908, where he graduated from high school. The Polish name of the village may suggest it was inhabited by Poles who were exiled or imprisoned by the Tsar, as it was unusual for Polish aristocrats to live in Siberia for non-political reasons."

He is attributed to being one of the core founding members of the PAF, and served with the Polish squadron fighting in the Battle of Britain in 1940 which saw the defeat of the Luftwaffe over Britain.
After World War II, Turowicz did not return to Communist Poland due to the official negative attitude towards those who had served with the Allied Forces during the war. Pakistan had a need for good pilots to help fund and train their troops - Britain recommended the Polish pilots who served valiantly during the 1940s.

He's renowned as a hero in Pakistan and still to this day, his daughters remain to live in Pakistan.

57ee9d792c86e.jpg

paf_wladyslaw_turowicz_970.jpeg

Turowicz-1panorama.jpg

On the left, he is seen helping East Pakistani Prime Minister Khawai Nazimuddin out of a plane, and on the right he is being awarded a medal by President Ayub Khan for his service to their country.

He chose to stay in Pakistan for the remainder of his life and was buried in Karachi, along with his wife.

A documentary was made about his life titled 'Polish Eaglets over Pakistan.'

It's a neat little bit of history that I found that's not too well known outside of Pakistan.

Deleted member 3713

My dick way too small to have y’all on it.
Nebulae
Little known piece of history - the Polish pretty much formed the Pakistani Air Force

It's all thanks to this man:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Władysław_Turowicz
57ee9e6631016.jpg

Third man from the left is Władysław Turowicz.

"Turowicz was born to an aristocratic family in the village of Wadziejewsko in Siberia (Russia) in 1908, where he graduated from high school. The Polish name of the village may suggest it was inhabited by Poles who were exiled or imprisoned by the Tsar, as it was unusual for Polish aristocrats to live in Siberia for non-political reasons."

He is attributed to being one of the core founding members of the PAF, and served with the Polish squadron fighting in the Battle of Britain in 1940 which saw the defeat of the Luftwaffe over Britain.
After World War II, Turowicz did not return to Communist Poland due to the official negative attitude towards those who had served with the Allied Forces during the war. Pakistan had a need for good pilots to help fund and train their troops - Britain recommended the Polish pilots who served valiantly during the 1940s.

He's renowned as a hero in Pakistan and still to this day, his daughters remain to live in Pakistan.

57ee9d792c86e.jpg

paf_wladyslaw_turowicz_970.jpeg

Turowicz-1panorama.jpg

On the left, he is seen helping East Pakistani Prime Minister Khawai Nazimuddin out of a plane, and on the right he is being awarded a medal by President Ayub Khan for his service to their country.

He chose to stay in Pakistan for the remainder of his life and was buried in Karachi, along with his wife.

A documentary was made about his life titled 'Polish Eaglets over Pakistan.'

It's a neat little bit of history that I found that's not too well known outside of Pakistan.
Long live Pakistan

Deleted member 3713

My dick way too small to have y’all on it.
Nebulae

I M P E R I A L I R A N
97ea0c571a0d59ea1491cfe6b6d9b10b.jpg

Imperial army shortly after being invaded by both the British Empire and the Soviet Union

Pahlavi%20Imperial%20Iranian%20Royal%20Guards%20Standard%20Bearer%201970s.jpg

Imperial Military Honour Guard

Imperial_Iranian_Female_Police_Officers_1970s.jpg

Women at Police Academy Graduation

016-660x510.jpg

Female Cadet Training

More photos from before the Islamic Revolution
551ecc9769bedd3a13a43755-750-563.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

aggfc9zfbt1z.jpg

untitled1.png

shah_farah.jpg

D

Deleted member 332

Despite Blackpool being a well-known RAF base and holiday location for soldiers on leave during WW2, Hitler personally ordered that the Tower and three piers (as well as most of the town if possible) were to be left unharmed by bombing as he intended to use it as his own resort upon capturing Britain.

vROWoDF.jpg

I went to Air Cadets (@Trains) with 177 squadron stationed at Squires Gate airport, where they built (arguably) the most cannon-resistant bomber of WW2- The Wellington. Sadly, it's absolute shite in War Thunder so that's a shame.

1280px-wellingtonbomber.jpg

Anyway, they still do yearly airshows up and down the 'golden mile' and when I was in Air Cadets I managed to get some close-up pictures of the grand trio being prepared for takeoff. On my phone rn but when I get on my computer I'll share them with you.
9486378853_cc36ec750f_b.jpg

Nothing gives me chills quite like a Merlin engine roaring past, great stuff

images

^^ An American Douglas A-20 Havoc with the town and 'Central' Pier visible below

Just down the road past the sand dunes and St. Anne's there's a little park called Fairhaven Lake with a memorial.
spitfire-memorial-fairhaven-lake-Keith-Swallow.jpg

http://aircrewremembered.com/ridings-alan.html

The memorial is dedicated to this pilot ^^, modelled after his Spitfire Mk. Vb W3644. You can't see from that angle but just behind that pillar there's a 250lb bomb hollowed out to create a donation box- You really don't get an idea of how bloody huge these planes and bombs are until you're right up close to them. Mental stuff.

Hope y'all enjoyed reading anyway, much love xoxo

D

Deleted member 332

Just found another wee interesting thing

1918.jpg.c5792fd18a18c5f6ee30e30d1a2ebd99.jpg

Don't know much about the photo other than it was taken just after WWI but I recognised the building in the background as a Yates' restaurant in Blackpool town square- Must have been a parade showing off the new-fangled Mark I British tanks.

Edit: Just found out this tank was part of a 'Tank Bank' donation campaign in 1918 to fund war bonds- The tank pictured is Tank 113 named 'Julian'. Went to Liverpool and London for donations too.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_Banks

3287935634_dcc84000bf_z.jpg

NnSIf88.png

Unfortunately the building burned down in 2009, it's been sitting like this for 10 years.

There's another photo from WW2 of General Montgomery standing atop a car waving at people during a parade down that road to the right- I'll have to do some rummaging

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Heckyll

Molecule
Nebulae
1918.jpg.c5792fd18a18c5f6ee30e30d1a2ebd99.jpg

Don't know much about the photo other than it was taken just after WWI but I recognised the building in the background as a Yates' restaurant in Blackpool town square- Must have been a parade showing off the new-fangled Mark I British tanks.
Either a parade or the army intimidating strikers hueheuehue