• Start date

tera

Atom
Nebulae
58629819_335419843832748_6008306518619848704_n.jpg

Slacker

Neutrino
Nebulae
My father was a volunteer paramedic during the Bosnian War (He is from the United States). Although, I don't know much about his experience, nor have I really wrapped my head around this conflict. I do have questions from my interview with him, that I have saved, and I have a large album of photos that I'd like to share here.

1. What organisation were you part of?
Life Mission Inc. A humanitarian aid organization of paramedics started by NY City paramedic Jim Schrang. He was an Vietnam vet and ex-paratrooper that started the organization to bring medics to Bosnia during the war.

2. Which area did you work in?
Mostar and Sarajevo

3. What were the daily living conditions like?
In Sarajevo there was no water, no electricity, no gas. There were were a lot of snipers around the city and you had to be careful crossing streets. The only place to get water was the basement of the brewery which had deep wells. We would fill plastic bottles with water and haul them back to where we were staying.

In Mostar there was usually water and electricity. However there was shelling of the town every couple of days by the Serbs, usually 5-6 rounds from artillery or tanks overlooking the city. There was also a lot of shooting back and forth across the river between the Bosnian side (where I was) and the Croatian side. There were no telephones. To make a phone call I had to cross the river to the Croatian side, and go to a local hotel. The Croats didn't like foreigners helping the Bosnians, and they would threaten me, so I didn't go very often.

4. The people you helped treat, did they tell you what was going on in other areas?
No, but they talked about things that had happened to them during the war. I think mostly they just wanted someone from the outside world to listen to them and hear their stories, to have a sense that the things being done to them weren't being ignored by the rest of the world.

5. Do you know anything about the genocide that occurred in Bosnia?
I didn't personally talk to anyone who had been a witness, but of course it was something everyone knew about. The worst genocide happened in a UN "safe area", Srebrenica in July of 1995.

6. What made you want to volunteer?
Being young and stupid.

7.How was it like working there?
A lot of the time we just waited around for something to happen. I didn't think it was doing much good, although we were able to help deliver medical supplies. A british guy told me that just being there helped, because it gave the Bosnians hope and was a reminder that the world cared about what was happening.

8.Who did you work with?
In Mostar I was by myself, but I helped out at the war hospital, with Bosnian doctors and nurses. They were quite nice to me. In Sarajevo I was with a group of American paramedics, all from New York, except me.

9.Is there anything you would like to add?
Never volunteer.

c2tGr8d.jpg

DaLoU5N.jpg

rn5hUUH.jpg

iHOQX7J.jpg

0xw2cjK.jpg

JclAmY6.jpg

qzzQxqZ.jpg

tfJ7VJo.jpg

Bv8lD2f.jpg

hEAUz5u.jpg

RkeZuQ2.jpg

0aY2QtV.jpg

PkxKosI.jpg

S4oMt6f.jpg

7IqsZAj.jpg

TBoWS6q.jpg

4eHXGBU.jpg

pO6dzqB.jpg

VKKu5oZ.jpg

ExMTb3D.jpg

Fun Fact: The graffiti on the wall states from what I can tell "Sniper Alley" (White) "Mother Fuckers" (Red)

qfhKI4c.jpg

IEDGbZu.jpg

GxCLpYs.jpg

Q2Pnv4d.jpg

UC7OC2x.jpg

T5CS1y9.jpg

7N92FJv.jpg

hljhhhY.jpg

VtgReT8.jpg

Jd1lnlX.jpg

pVtFSS8.jpg

Reactions: List

Deleted member 3713

My dick way too small to have y’all on it.
Nebulae
In the turbulent years of the middle of World War One, the British with promises of independence and recognition from the international community had sparked the Arab revolt against their Ottoman rulers. With the support and observance of a British officer, Lawrence of Arabia. Working with the great Heshemite dynasty who had under the Ottoman Empire's control, ruled over Mecca.

The Revolt would forever leave it's print in the structure of the Middle East nearly a century after.

FeisalPartyAtVersaillesCopy.jpg

Reactions: List

jamEs

fqjdlkmsbvqfgkhpoiuaeazer
Nebulae
My father was a volunteer paramedic during the Bosnian War (He is from the United States). Although, I don't know much about his experience, nor have I really wrapped my head around this conflict. I do have questions from my interview with him, that I have saved, and I have a large album of photos that I'd like to share here.

1. What organisation were you part of?
Life Mission Inc. A humanitarian aid organization of paramedics started by NY City paramedic Jim Schrang. He was an Vietnam vet and ex-paratrooper that started the organization to bring medics to Bosnia during the war.

2. Which area did you work in?
Mostar and Sarajevo

3. What were the daily living conditions like?
In Sarajevo there was no water, no electricity, no gas. There were were a lot of snipers around the city and you had to be careful crossing streets. The only place to get water was the basement of the brewery which had deep wells. We would fill plastic bottles with water and haul them back to where we were staying.

In Mostar there was usually water and electricity. However there was shelling of the town every couple of days by the Serbs, usually 5-6 rounds from artillery or tanks overlooking the city. There was also a lot of shooting back and forth across the river between the Bosnian side (where I was) and the Croatian side. There were no telephones. To make a phone call I had to cross the river to the Croatian side, and go to a local hotel. The Croats didn't like foreigners helping the Bosnians, and they would threaten me, so I didn't go very often.

4. The people you helped treat, did they tell you what was going on in other areas?
No, but they talked about things that had happened to them during the war. I think mostly they just wanted someone from the outside world to listen to them and hear their stories, to have a sense that the things being done to them weren't being ignored by the rest of the world.

5. Do you know anything about the genocide that occurred in Bosnia?
I didn't personally talk to anyone who had been a witness, but of course it was something everyone knew about. The worst genocide happened in a UN "safe area", Srebrenica in July of 1995.

6. What made you want to volunteer?
Being young and stupid.

7.How was it like working there?
A lot of the time we just waited around for something to happen. I didn't think it was doing much good, although we were able to help deliver medical supplies. A british guy told me that just being there helped, because it gave the Bosnians hope and was a reminder that the world cared about what was happening.

8.Who did you work with?
In Mostar I was by myself, but I helped out at the war hospital, with Bosnian doctors and nurses. They were quite nice to me. In Sarajevo I was with a group of American paramedics, all from New York, except me.

9.Is there anything you would like to add?
Never volunteer.

c2tGr8d.jpg

DaLoU5N.jpg

rn5hUUH.jpg

iHOQX7J.jpg

0xw2cjK.jpg

JclAmY6.jpg

qzzQxqZ.jpg

tfJ7VJo.jpg

Bv8lD2f.jpg

hEAUz5u.jpg

RkeZuQ2.jpg

0aY2QtV.jpg

PkxKosI.jpg

S4oMt6f.jpg

7IqsZAj.jpg

TBoWS6q.jpg

4eHXGBU.jpg

pO6dzqB.jpg

VKKu5oZ.jpg

ExMTb3D.jpg

Fun Fact: The graffiti on the wall states from what I can tell "Sniper Alley" (White) "Mother Fuckers" (Red)

qfhKI4c.jpg

IEDGbZu.jpg

GxCLpYs.jpg

Q2Pnv4d.jpg

UC7OC2x.jpg

T5CS1y9.jpg

7N92FJv.jpg

hljhhhY.jpg

VtgReT8.jpg

Jd1lnlX.jpg

pVtFSS8.jpg
Could you perhaps ask your father who the center person in

RkeZuQ2.jpg

is? My dad recognizes him. He's from Zagreb though :o

tera

Atom
Nebulae

Slacker

Neutrino
Nebulae
Could you perhaps ask your father who the center person in

RkeZuQ2.jpg

is? My dad recognizes him. He's from Zagreb though :eek:

I asked him, however, he doesn't recognize the man. He only remembers that the picture was taken in Sarajevo in 1995.