History Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 1381
  • Start date

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
WAR!
image0.jpg

On this day, at 4:30 AM EST, on 1861. All the previous years of political arguments, petty violence, and other unspeakable acts against those under bondage. North Carolina Militiamen open fire upon Fort Sumter. A bombardment lasting almost 48 hours before the Fort was surrendered. Thankfully, no one was injured. And the only causality was indeed a confederate horse.

Would’ve posted about the Appomattox campaign and surrender a few days ago but I forgot, rip.

Reactions: List

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
prince rupert was a little bitch

i yield

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
Ive got something very interesting and sobering for those of Civil War history ahem @char as I just of today came back from Gettysburg after having a private tour from our Sergeant Major.

Our final stop was Daniel Lady’s farm. A field hospital and camping ground for Confederate forces (Beauregard’s men). And I do warn some people, some of these photos may be a bit much so I will spoiler them.

To first start, the farm as I’ve mentioned was a camp site for Confederate troops prior to the battle and a field hospital during the battle, most prominently during July 2nd.
image0.jpg

This is facing the barn which was the hospital used for your Enlisted man
image1.jpg

This is facing the actual farm house, which was reserved for mainly Officers but NCOs were also allowed due to the barn being overloaded.

image0.jpg

this is 158 year old artillery shrapnel lodged into one of the support beams of the barn from a battery on Culps Hill held by Union troops.

image0.jpg

This is a method used by surgeons as you can see to amputate a limb from the shoulder down. This was in the barn with the other diagrams.
image1.jpg

A diagram of obviously a foot amputation.
image2.jpg

Another diagram of a below the knee amputation.

As far as methods for treatment during the war. They were medically advanced for the time, and some are still used today. But the reason for so many deaths were after operation, due to medicine then not being very good at all, period.

A lot of the methods for treatment involved use of medicines including things such as mercury or the predecessor to modern crack cocaine. And so many men actually died back at home due to their wounds rather then actual death on the operating table.

We then actually managed to get a tour of the farm house by a very knowledgeable and kind man who was willing to give one despite no tours being given at the time. And what we were shown was sobering at the very least.

Directly next to the kitchen was the living room, or the “woman’s room” as back then the men would have their own room to do things such as smoke their pipes/cigars, drink their hard liquor, and talk about things such as politics or farming. And the woman’s room was obviously for women to talk about their things and drink their softer wine.

The Confederate officers/NCOs were stationed in the “woman’s room” as that room was designated as the triage and those awaiting operation.

image0.jpg

This stain here is a blood stain from a Sergeant who was awaiting treatment. He bled to death in this exact spot while still waiting.

image2.jpg

This stain was from a Lieutenant. Suffered a arm wound, he also bled to death on this exact spot.

image0.jpg

This is a stain from a Captain who was hit in the rear. The parts I’ve circled are most likely handprints. As it was noted the man was sat up against the wall, with either hand to his side attempting to keep himself from falling back over.

image1.jpg

And this is perhaps the most obvious set of stains. These are stains from the surgeons tools. As after many uses they would rest the tools against the windowsill, leaving them to drip blood down onto the floor. Which is what this is.

image0.jpg

This image is also from the barn, but explains the organization of staff at a field hospital. Both Confederate and Union followed the same organization.

image1.jpg

This image is the most normal here to the untrained eye, but this image gives me the most feelings. As exactly where I stand, right out back by the barn. Is a mass grave where over 200 human limbs are buried. In that image I am literally standing atop remnants of a human body.

After surgeries, the surgeons would literally toss limbs out the window. The children of the house, aged 5,4,7,8, and 2 months old were kept not far. They heard everything that was going on, including the sawing and screaming of the men.

It was noted they ran out of anesthetics to administer, meaning they could not knock you out if you needed to have your leg amputated, you were awake the whole time if you didn’t pass out from shock.

The 8 year old son was also noted to assist his father in the burial of 34 Officers whom still remain buried on the property. As when the Government returned to attempt and exhume the bodies Daniel Lady was noted telling them basically to “fuck off” and “let the men who rest here rest, do not disturb them anymore.”

In the OR room aka the men’s room, there was another stain of a Colonel who was shot in the jaw, noted to literally have it hanging off, the man was found curled in a fetal position as he bled to death as well in the very corner of the room.

The farm also holds a ledger which contains the name of EVERY man who was treated there at that hospital, every man’s name, rank, and home town was documented. The man who was touring us also said that last week a man came from Virginia with the name of his relative. They found the same man within the ledger, and said the man instantly burst into tears, saying he could finally get closure about what happened. As his greatx3 grandfather was treated at this hospital, and then passed away a few months later at home due to his wounds.

This farm is just one of dozens that was commandeered and turned into a field hospital during the battle. And a reminder to all that fate doesn’t care who you are, it’ll take you all the same.

Last edited:

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
image0.png

Colonel Francis Fenton of the USMC (seen kneeling) conducting the funeral of his son, Private First Class Mike Fenton, who was 19. And killed near Shuri, Okinawa on May 7th 1945.

Upon rising after this photo, COL. Fenton was seen to be looking over the other deceased Marines, quoting, “Those poor souls. They didn’t have their fathers here.”​

Reactions: List