History Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 1381
  • Start date

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae

Today in the US marks the 245th Birthday of the USMC. Founded out of Tun Tavern in Philadelphia, PA during the Revolution. And to go through it’s entire history in one post is just too much. So instead I’ll focus a bit on its involvement during the Civil War.

Although at this time in its life. It was severely neglected, undermanned, and quite honesty very confusing for people. But it still played a vital role in helping the Union war machine secure a victory.

origin.jpg

Union Marines along with their NCO in Washington Boat Yard, 1864

Their real presence lasted with guard duty along the many forts still belonging to the Union as other Federal troops fought along the other battles in the south. Although 328 Marines did see action at the Battle of First Bull Run, under the command of then Major John F. Reynolds (the same Reynolds who was killed on the first day of Gettysburg.) And they were have said to have shown extreme valor and courage during the fight. Although they were routed with the rest of Union forces in the afternoon. And this would be one of the only major ground battles they would take part in.

But perhaps the most stunning example was the Battle of Hampton Roads. The very first clash of Ironclad Vessels in Naval Warfare history.

naval-conflict.jpg

Artist depiction of the USS-Moniter up against the CSS-Merrimack

Originally the Battle was the USS-Cumberland up against the CSS-Merrimack. But the Cumberland was sank from a head on ram by the Merrimack. But the Marines on the other hand were also helpful. Manning the cannons on many other wooden ships. And also manning the guns on the Cumberland before she was sank.

Although the most important part they took part in during the war was the capture of New Orleans. Effectively halting a large chunk of Confederate supply. And quite honestly the most badass part of this all was during a exchange with two gunships. Although I couldn’t find any names of the ships. These two gunships, one Confederate and Union. Collided with one another. With caused the Union Marines to hop on over, fix bayonets. And FUCKING STAB the Confederate sailors THROUGH THE FUCKING PORTHOLES of the ship.

The Battle of Drewry’s Bluff in 1862 saw the first instance in USMC history of the Medal of Honor recipient.

Corporal John F. Mackie aboard the USS-Galena was the man in question. And during the Battle when his ship came under heavy Confederate fire from the shore. They knocked out a important gun on the ship. Which John proceeded to not only help but also led the gun crew when he got it back into operation.

Corporal-John-Mackie-fighting-aboard-the-USS-Galena-during-the-Battle-of-Drewrys-Bluff._thumb.jpg

Artists work of the Corporal in pussy melting action

And finally. It wouldn’t be the Marines if they didn’t help put the final nail in the coffin for the Confederacy. So in January of 1865. A Naval Brigade of 400 sailors and Marines assaulted Fort Fisher. Which held open the port in Wilmington, North Carolina. The final major port in the war. And although they were beaten back. It served as a distraction to allow the Army to launch its own attack, which saw the fort fall thanks to the sacrifice of the Marines and Sailors. And it was thanks to this that the surrender of Lee came only a few months later. Ending the war.

Reactions: List

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
image0.jpg

November 30th, 1864
The Battle of Franklin, Tennessee
One of the worst Confederate disasters of the war

image0.png

The Carter House

“We were posted in reserve near the Carter house behind the center of the line. Colonel Arthur MacArthur and I were taking supper, if you can call hardtack and coffee by such a formal name... When the Confederates of Chatham’s division of Tennesseans suddenly hit and broke through immediately infront of us.” - Captain Edwin B. Parsons, 24th Wisconsin Opdycks Brigade​

“Through the gap and over the works they came.. General Wagnor was on his horse directly in front of the Carter House, and was making superhuman efforts to check his men. With terrible oaths he called them cowards and shook his broken stick at them. His horse backing against his will, crowded to the rear by the surging mass of his own soldiers who were pressing against him in great numbers. While the great mass of men took to the pike after getting over the earthworks, a great many were crowding along in the open ground East of the pike. Wagner drifted out of sight with his own men toward the town.” - A staff officer of Major General John Schofield (the same man who the Schofield Revovler was named after)

During the Battle of Franklin, Lieutenant General John Bell Hood’s Army of Tennessee launched multiple full frontal attacks against well fortified Union positions, causing massive casualties among Confederate forces, and allowing Schofield to preform a carefully planned, orderly withdrawal to Nashville.

Schofield estimated 6,252 total Confederate losses (including wounded and missing). While Hood’s reports count for only 4,500 total casualties. Whole Union forces had only 2,326 total casualties.​

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
image0.jpg

November 30th, 1864
The Battle of Franklin, Tennessee
One of the worst Confederate disasters of the war

image0.png

The Carter House

“We were posted in reserve near the Carter house behind the center of the line. Colonel Arthur MacArthur and I were taking supper, if you can call hardtack and coffee by such a formal name... When the Confederates of Chatham’s division of Tennesseans suddenly hit and broke through immediately infront of us.” - Captain Edwin B. Parsons, 24th Wisconsin Opdycks Brigade​

“Through the gap and over the works they came.. General Wagnor was on his horse directly in front of the Carter House, and was making superhuman efforts to check his men. With terrible oaths he called them cowards and shook his broken stick at them. His horse backing against his will, crowded to the rear by the surging mass of his own soldiers who were pressing against him in great numbers. While the great mass of men took to the pike after getting over the earthworks, a great many were crowding along in the open ground East of the pike. Wagner drifted out of sight with his own men toward the town.” - A staff officer of Major General John Schofield (the same man who the Schofield Revovler was named after)

During the Battle of Franklin, Lieutenant General John Bell Hood’s Army of Tennessee launched multiple full frontal attacks against well fortified Union positions, causing massive casualties among Confederate forces, and allowing Schofield to preform a carefully planned, orderly withdrawal to Nashville.

Schofield estimated 6,252 total Confederate losses (including wounded and missing). While Hood’s reports count for only 4,500 total casualties. Whole Union forces had only 2,326 total casualties.​

image1.jpg

“On our right the artillery teamsters stampeded and the gunners took picks, shovels, anything to defend their guns. One of the guns was loaded but in the confusion caused by the stamped was not fired.. the enemy, thinking the battery silenced made for the embrasure and a large crowd were rushing the muzzle of that gun. The man with the lanyard held his fire until the first Rebel in the rush placed his hands on the muzzle to spring over. When he like a huge thunderbolt that awful roar and flash went blasting through the crowd of men. Arms and legs and mangled trunks were torn and thrown in every direction.” -W. A. Kessy, 64th Ohio Conrad’s Brigade

image0.jpg

“The slaughtering could be seen as far down the line as far as the Columbia and Franklin pike. Our troops were killed by whole platoons, our front line seemed to have been cut down by the first discharge for in many places they were lying on their faces in almost as good a order as if they had lain down on purpose; but no such order prevailed among the dead who fell in making the attempt to surmount the Cheval-de-frise, for hanging on the long spikes of this obstruction could be seen the mangled and torn remains of many of our soldiers who had been pierced by hundreds of minié balls and grape shot... The ditch was full of dead men and we had to stand and sit upon them. The bottom of it from side to side was covered with blood to the depth of shoe soles.” - James M. Copley, 49th Tennessee Quarles’ Brigade

Simply a couple more firsthand accounts of the Battle of Franklin, on this day on 1864
The bloodiest five hours in all of Tennessee history.​

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae

image1.jpg

“On our right the artillery teamsters stampeded and the gunners took picks, shovels, anything to defend their guns. One of the guns was loaded but in the confusion caused by the stamped was not fired.. the enemy, thinking the battery silenced made for the embrasure and a large crowd were rushing the muzzle of that gun. The man with the lanyard held his fire until the first Rebel in the rush placed his hands on the muzzle to spring over. When he like a huge thunderbolt that awful roar and flash went blasting through the crowd of men. Arms and legs and mangled trunks were torn and thrown in every direction.” -W. A. Kessy, 64th Ohio Conrad’s Brigade

image0.jpg

“The slaughtering could be seen as far down the line as far as the Columbia and Franklin pike. Our troops were killed by whole platoons, our front line seemed to have been cut down by the first discharge for in many places they were lying on their faces in almost as good a order as if they had lain down on purpose; but no such order prevailed among the dead who fell in making the attempt to surmount the Cheval-de-frise, for hanging on the long spikes of this obstruction could be seen the mangled and torn remains of many of our soldiers who had been pierced by hundreds of minié balls and grape shot... The ditch was full of dead men and we had to stand and sit upon them. The bottom of it from side to side was covered with blood to the depth of shoe soles.” - James M. Copley, 49th Tennessee Quarles’ Brigade

Simply a couple more firsthand accounts of the Battle of Franklin, on this day on 1864
The bloodiest five hours in all of Tennessee history.​

“...many of the men using the bayonet and others the clubbed musket. I recollect seeing a man, with blood streaming down his face from a wound in the head with a pick axe in his hand, rushing into a crowd of the enemy and swinging his pick.” - Captain James A. Sexton, 72nd Illinois, Strickland Brigade

“I saw a Confederate soldier, close to me thrust one of our men through with a bayonet and before he could draw his weapon from the ghastly wound his brains were scattered on all of us that stood near, by the butt of a musket swung with terrific force by some big fellow whom I could not recognize in the grim dirt and smoke...” -Colonel Wolf, 64th Ohio, Conrad’s Brigade

A couple more first hand accounts of the unbelievable hand to hand fighting which took place during the battle of Franklin.
If you think the First World War is disgusting, you clearly have not researched into the American Civil War.​

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
“...many of the men using the bayonet and others the clubbed musket. I recollect seeing a man, with blood streaming down his face from a wound in the head with a pick axe in his hand, rushing into a crowd of the enemy and swinging his pick.” - Captain James A. Sexton, 72nd Illinois, Strickland Brigade

“I saw a Confederate soldier, close to me thrust one of our men through with a bayonet and before he could draw his weapon from the ghastly wound his brains were scattered on all of us that stood near, by the butt of a musket swung with terrific force by some big fellow whom I could not recognize in the grim dirt and smoke...” -Colonel Wolf, 64th Ohio, Conrad’s Brigade

A couple more first hand accounts of the unbelievable hand to hand fighting which took place during the battle of Franklin.
If you think the First World War is disgusting, you clearly have not researched into the American Civil War.​

image0.jpg

General Cleburne depicted in his final moments of life

“General Cleburne moved forward on foot waving his cap and I lost sight of him in the smoke and din of battle, and he must have met his death in few seconds afterwards.. all this occurred near the intersection of the pike and his body was found within 20 yards of where I saw him last, waving his cap and urging his men forward.” - Brigadier General Daniel C. Govan

Patrick Cleburne, a Irish born native of County Cork in Ireland. Met his fate today on 1864 when he fell urging his men forward on a assault which he devised against Union fortifications.

When his body was found, it was completely plucked of any and all valuables, including his sword, cap, boots, and pocket watch. Confederate records suggest he died of a shot to the gut, while others dispute he was struck in the heart directly.

800px-Franklin_battle_1630.png

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae

battle-of-franklin-1864-6daed582-d684-4606-ac4d-1540de62be3-resize-750.jpg

“I never saw the dead lay near so thick.”

“The ground upon which I was laid was hard frozen, the wind was coming in from the north and I became very cold. At about this time the army of the enemy came by in full retreat. As they passed me someone cursed and abused me, others spoke kindly. One soldier said to me, “You will freeze here before morning.” And pulled a pair of heavy blankets from over his shoulder and placed them over me. I asked him his name. ‘My name is H. A. Barr, my home is in Willow Springs Nebraska. I don’t blame you for fighting for the south. I am for the north because my home and family reside there. Good bye, and God Bless you.’

Soon after another soldier came and said ‘You will freeze here if not protected from that fierce wind.’ And began placing boxes of hardtack and other army supplies around me to protect me from the wind.

Some others passed, and some threatened to spear me from their bayonets.

And yet soon another came along, and said, ‘This will never do, you will freeze here.’ And gathered some kindling, split some boxes and made a good fire at my feet and passed on. To these three men I no doubt owe my life.” -Colonel Stephans, 31st Mississippi Featherson’s Brigade

At about this time, EST. The Battle of Franklin came to a end. Leaving the wounded and dying behind, Schofield and his men pulled back to Nashville. Leaving Confederate soldiers to wallow in their immense defeat.

During the war, it was all too common to leave any and all men behind after battles or skirmishes. Leaving either their bodies to quite literally rot back into the earth, or force the civilians still left to bury the dead. Or if you were extremely lucky, and didn’t die from gangrene or the cold, you could be picked up by a ambulance, but you’d still likely die from disease following.​

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae

battle-of-franklin-1864-6daed582-d684-4606-ac4d-1540de62be3-resize-750.jpg

“I never saw the dead lay near so thick.”

“The ground upon which I was laid was hard frozen, the wind was coming in from the north and I became very cold. At about this time the army of the enemy came by in full retreat. As they passed me someone cursed and abused me, others spoke kindly. One soldier said to me, “You will freeze here before morning.” And pulled a pair of heavy blankets from over his shoulder and placed them over me. I asked him his name. ‘My name is H. A. Barr, my home is in Willow Springs Nebraska. I don’t blame you for fighting for the south. I am for the north because my home and family reside there. Good bye, and God Bless you.’

Soon after another soldier came and said ‘You will freeze here if not protected from that fierce wind.’ And began placing boxes of hardtack and other army supplies around me to protect me from the wind.

Some others passed, and some threatened to spear me from their bayonets.

And yet soon another came along, and said, ‘This will never do, you will freeze here.’ And gathered some kindling, split some boxes and made a good fire at my feet and passed on. To these three men I no doubt owe my life.” -Colonel Stephans, 31st Mississippi Featherson’s Brigade

At about this time, EST. The Battle of Franklin came to a end. Leaving the wounded and dying behind, Schofield and his men pulled back to Nashville. Leaving Confederate soldiers to wallow in their immense defeat.

During the war, it was all too common to leave any and all men behind after battles or skirmishes. Leaving either their bodies to quite literally rot back into the earth, or force the civilians still left to bury the dead. Or if you were extremely lucky, and didn’t die from gangrene or the cold, you could be picked up by a ambulance, but you’d still likely die from disease following.​

image0.png

A small section of the Confederate cemetery in McGavok, not far from Franklin

Some may be tired of seeing my posts about this by now and I can’t really blame you. But this battle was quite possibly one of the worst and goriest in terms of sheer terror the men faced.

To help put it into perspective, the infamous Picketts Charge during the Battle of Gettysburg was 1,354. And Pickett and his men retreated after the failed first charge, and the length of which the men walked to meet the high water mark in Gettysburg was about a mile, and they had the cover of the trees for the beginning.

But for the Confederate troops in Franklin... this was extended an extra mile in length, in the complete, full open. With no cover at all.

And prior to Pickett’s charge, there was that legendary artillery barrage for over two hours, Hood’s men went in without any preparation or cover by artillery.

The federal troops at Gettysburg had only a small stone wall for their cover, while Schofields men had entire breastworks (1860s era version of trenches) and parapets for fire.

Pickett was completely repulsed. But Brown and Cleburne’s men lodged themselves deep within the breastworks, causing extremely fierce hand to hand fighting before they were wiped out.

Pickett completely withdrew his men after the first charge. The Army of Tennessee renewed their charge over and over and over again.

Pickett survived, but Cleburne along with eleven other Generals were KIA, captured.

The charge of Pickett was of massive scale during the largest and deadliest battle of the whole war in total, yes. But Franklin excelled in pure gore and carnage more then any other battle.

The total again was over 6,000 total. Pickett’s charge resulted in only 1,354. And remember this all took place over a five hour period... A total of over 8,000 dead on both sides in a matter of FIVE HOURS...

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
Yes I know Thanksgiving is over, yes I know it’s the first of December, yes I know the radios are already spamming that god forsaken song.

But since I’m in the mood, and I’ve been doing more research, I’ve wanted to show you how thanksgiving would be like for the boys in the front during the war. And besides, it would be at this time anyway where they’d be having their thanksgiving dinner anyway. Since they would’ve always been on the march.

image0.png

“It is Thanksgiving day and I have not much to do but write and thinking perhaps you did not hear from Virginia any oftener then you wished to I thought perhaps a few lines from some of us cousins would be very acceptable.

It is just about the time that us Vermonters are taking their thanksgiving supper and I have no doubt you are enjoying it first rate. Well so are we soldier boys. You may think we are all home sick today but it is not so. Not with me at any rate for we received a box of clothing and a few nicknacks consisting of eatables.

Thanksgiving supper is over you can’t imagine what a lot of fine things we had for supper. So I must tell you. In the first place we had a piece of sour bread and salt pork. After the bread and pork I had some of mother’s cookies and doughnuts that came in our box.

Charley Refford is passing around his cake that was sent to him from home and I must stop once more to help them eat it. It was a first rate cake I tell you, a good deal better then what we get here everyday.

Remember friends that are far away. Write as soon as you get this and do not fail to write over a half dozen sheets as I have nothing to do but read letters. My love to all.” - Zebina Y. Bickford, 6th Vermont, Company D. November 28th, 1861

Zebina was one of the 182 Union troops killed during the Siege of Yorktown on April 30th of 1862. By government records Bickford would have been 18 or 19 at time of his death.​

D

Deleted member 1381

December 3rd, 1989

Bush_and_Gorbachev_at_the_Malta_summit_in_1989.gif

George H.W and Mikhail Gorbachev aboard the TS Maksim Gorkiy during the Malta Summit, where both declared an official end to the Cold War
Speaking at a joint news conference, the Soviet leader announced:

"The world is leaving one epoch and entering another. We are at the beginning of a long road to a lasting, peaceful era. The threat of force, mistrust, psychological and ideological struggle should all be things of the past."

"I assured the President of the United States that I will never start a hot war against the USA."

In reply, President Bush said:

"We can realise a lasting peace and transform the East-West relationship to one of enduring co-operation. That is the future that Chairman Gorbachev and I began right here in Malta."

Last edited by a moderator:

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
December 3rd, 1989

Bush_and_Gorbachev_at_the_Malta_summit_in_1989.gif

George H.W and Mikhail Gorbachev aboard the TS Maksim Gorkiy during the Malta Summit, where both declared an officla end to the Cold War
Speaking at a joint news conference, the Soviet leader announced:

"The world is leaving one epoch and entering another. We are at the beginning of a long road to a lasting, peaceful era. The threat of force, mistrust, psychological and ideological struggle should all be things of the past."

"I assured the President of the United States that I will never start a hot war against the USA."

In reply, President Bush said:

"We can realise a lasting peace and transform the East-West relationship to one of enduring co-operation. That is the future that Chairman Gorbachev and I began right here in Malta."
Thanks to this event in history. We finally got the official USSR post credits scene:

The good ending

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae

image0.png

“Now I suppose you would like to hear an account of my second battle... My remembrance of it extends to these items. Country heavily wooded, and intersected by chains of hills, every one of which we defended as long as possible and then fell back to the next, the booming of the guns and bursting of shell, the roaring of the rifles and “spat”, “spat,” of the bullets around us, men limping to the rear or carried by comrades, with here and there a skulker hurrying out of the reach of the musical lead.”

“All this I remember and also that when our gun was heated it was mighty hard work to ram down the charge, which was my duty as I was No.1. Nothing is more exciting as working a gun in real action. The sound of the discharge almost raises us off our feet with delight. Before the smoke lifts from the muzzle I dash in, dip the brush in the sponge bucket and brush out the bore using plenty of water, then seize the sponge stuff and sponge it out dry. No.2 then inserts the cartridge which I ram home, then the shot, shell, or canister, whichever it may be and it is sent home, then I spring out besides the wheel and fall flat, ‘Ready!’ shouts the gunner, No.3 now pricks the cartridge, No.4 jumps in and inserts a friction primer, which is lanyard is attached, in the vent, springs outside the wheel and straightens his lanyard. The gunner gives a turn or two to the elevation screw, taps on the trail and has it carried around a little, and then, ‘Fire!’, ‘Take that, damn you!’ says the No.4 as the gun rushes back with the recoil. The other numbers run her forward at the command, ‘By hand to the front!’ While I load. While you have been reading this description we would fire 3 or 4 shots, so rapidly we do work... The sound of the gun is most exhilarating, it fills us with enthusiasm, and we would die rather then desert her. However, you probably do not understand these feelings, and so think it all foolishness.”

-Thomas D. Christie, 1st Minnesota Light Artillery, October 18th, 1862. Describing the Second Battle of Corinth​

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae

image0.png

“Now I suppose you would like to hear an account of my second battle... My remembrance of it extends to these items. Country heavily wooded, and intersected by chains of hills, every one of which we defended as long as possible and then fell back to the next, the booming of the guns and bursting of shell, the roaring of the rifles and “spat”, “spat,” of the bullets around us, men limping to the rear or carried by comrades, with here and there a skulker hurrying out of the reach of the musical lead.”

“All this I remember and also that when our gun was heated it was mighty hard work to ram down the charge, which was my duty as I was No.1. Nothing is more exciting as working a gun in real action. The sound of the discharge almost raises us off our feet with delight. Before the smoke lifts from the muzzle I dash in, dip the brush in the sponge bucket and brush out the bore using plenty of water, then seize the sponge stuff and sponge it out dry. No.2 then inserts the cartridge which I ram home, then the shot, shell, or canister, whichever it may be and it is sent home, then I spring out besides the wheel and fall flat, ‘Ready!’ shouts the gunner, No.3 now pricks the cartridge, No.4 jumps in and inserts a friction primer, which is lanyard is attached, in the vent, springs outside the wheel and straightens his lanyard. The gunner gives a turn or two to the elevation screw, taps on the trail and has it carried around a little, and then, ‘Fire!’, ‘Take that, damn you!’ says the No.4 as the gun rushes back with the recoil. The other numbers run her forward at the command, ‘By hand to the front!’ While I load. While you have been reading this description we would fire 3 or 4 shots, so rapidly we do work... The sound of the gun is most exhilarating, it fills us with enthusiasm, and we would die rather then desert her. However, you probably do not understand these feelings, and so think it all foolishness.”

-Thomas D. Christie, 1st Minnesota Light Artillery, October 18th, 1862. Describing the Second Battle of Corinth​

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae

image0.png

“A projectile came along with its deafening death-cry, and took him right in his groin, severing his limbs completely from his body. If I could have heard his shriek, it would not have been so horrible, but to see him seize at his limbs, and fall back with a terrible look of agony, without being able to catch a sound from him — Oh God! May I never be doomed to witness such a sight again.

Later, I was warned in a polite strain, that I was seen and marked, by the sharp hissing of two ‘Minié’ balls as they came in rather too close proximity to my head, as if to convince me, that it was an earnest game, the third arrived. Lower then the first, higher then the second, skipping along the ground with an angry noise, it entered my flesh sideways in the left hip, causing a sensation from which I might with reason think my whole side was annihilated. I started up with an involuntary exclamation, which I shudder to think of now, for if the wound had been mortal, I would have died uttering with my last breath a horrible curse. To my joy, I found that I could stand, that is, if my bewildered state that I was then in, I was capable of experiencing either joy or sorrow. At any rate, it was clear I had been shot and could be of no more use in that days fight, and in the language of one of our boys when relating to his adventures, ‘Didn’t I skedaddle, though, out of the fire!’”

-Private Charles Johnson, Hawkin’s Zouaves. Writing about his experiences about The Battle of Antietam, or Battle of Sharpsburg, Maryland. Depending on which side of the crik you’re from.​

The Battle, on its own. Was the bloodiest single day of battle during the whole of the war. And the bloodiest battle ever fought on American soil. Leaving a total of 24,461 Americans dead, wounded, missing, or captured.

Something I found of interest while reading the mans letter was his account of quite literally seeing the musket ball which had wounded him. Which I wanted to punctuate on afterwards.

Due to the manner of which the Minié balls were made, they were about a solid ounce of lead each. And with the rifles firing black powder, not much power was left to really force these bullets out of the barrel. Causing, most of the time, for these rounds to become subsonic.

And due to the extremely heavy weight of the balls. It was extremely common for soldiers to quite literally see the very bullet that would kill them moments later. Most soldiers would refer to firefights as “kicking the hornets nest” as the sounds of the balls flying overhead would commonly resemble the sound of a shitload of angry hornets flying around them

TinPan

Needs to blow his nose
Nebulae

Sarajevo_Grbavica.JPG

The Bosnian War was an international armed conflict that took place in Bosnia and Herzegovina between 1992 and 1995, which saw incredibly violent atrocities committed to the point where civilians were ultimately stuck in the middle with no means of escape or even relief. UN relief aid was often sent in slow and unarmored supply trucks into Bosnia, and almost always were attacked either by foreign forces looking to make sure that the supplies didn’t reach their destination or by bandits wanting the goods for themselves to sell on. Long story short, it meant that there were tens of thousands of vulnerable civilians without basic supplies.

camaro2.jpg

Helge Meyer (a previous member of the Danish Jaegercorps and a heavily religious Christian) saw this and took matters into his own hand. With the support of the US Rhein Main Air Base Commander and donations from the servicemen there, Helge turned a 1979 Camaro into an armoured war machine akin to Mad Max; with the car being fitted with armor plates, nitrous oxide, thermal and night vision cameras, run flat tires, ground-to-air radio comms, a mine-clearing blade mounted to the front, and a special matte-black paint that made it incredibly hard to detect on radar & thermal imaging (a rubber duck in the grill included).

camaro1.jpg

The car, now able to carry 400kg of supplies accompanied by US servicemen donating $12,000 towards relief supplies, was driven by Helge Meyer himself to Bosnia; where he conducted over 100 supply runs into some of the hottest combat zones during the war to deliver supplies. He went with no weapons whatsoever as well in order not to scare locals & children, instead choosing to carry a bible; earning him the title of ‘Gods Rambo’. Helge did these supply runs until the end of the Bosnian War, where he eventually finally retired to settle down in Germany; even being able to keep the Camaro after painting it in a more civilian-appropriate bright orange.

TKXUpeNcSjSl7IdAiPVlRA

NaughtyDoodz

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
hey guysssss i fought in the cold war!!! my kd ratio is 4;00!!! i got some war photos if u wanna see them!!!! also when I shot someone they kept on screaming that they fucked my mom!!! war is so cool :smiley:DDD
GXhfPaW.png
e6ebabc1-cb57-43b3-b9cb-405e7ec133f9

Cuttsy

Proton
Nebulae
RollingThunder.gif
JHxRczK.gif

rolling thunder - this day, 1965​
Sorry if this is a little off the topic of the thread but I've just started watching a documentary series called Lost Films: Vietnam this week. Its definitely worth watching if you are interested in Vietnam with a lot of first hand accounts/interviews