Nebulae
JPSQNdt.png

jitLXV4.png

Last edited:
Reactions: List

OneClassyBanana

kilroy was here
Nebulae

*** S17:ORD-2.DAGGER-3 grips RANGER's forearm with one hand, the other forcing whatever exactly had been retrieved into the soldier's grip. A datashard. And with that, they use the very last ounces of their strength to shove him forward, voice bursting to life.

S17:ORD-2.DAGGER-3 yells "<:: GO! ::>"

*** S17:SDR-2.RANGER-0 grunts as he hears the command, stumbling to his feet with a last burst of energy, half running and half falling as he saved his skin, tightly clutching the datashard.

*** The Ordinal goes to the floor before RANGER even has time to come to a stop, legs crumpling out from beneath them. DAGGER-3 dies.

*** S17:SDR-2.RANGER-0 hears the scream of the bio-signal, his fist slamming into the nearest wall as he screams out in anger, still running toward the exit best he could.

** You woke up, yet again. You're pulled over on the highway - The date was 04.10.1999. This all felt like a bad dream... or was it?

<:: LOST BIOSIGNAL FOR UNIT S17:ORD-2.DAGGER-3 ::>
<:: LOST BIOSIGNAL FOR UNIT S17:SDR-2.RANGER-0 ::>

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
katana pinata
SqYpEyI.png

burial
7ccdwpv.png

I died again
Dx2GYXy.png

KILL YOUR SUPERIOR OFFICERS

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae

*** S17:ORD-2.DAGGER-3 grips RANGER's forearm with one hand, the other forcing whatever exactly had been retrieved into the soldier's grip. A datashard. And with that, they use the very last ounces of their strength to shove him forward, voice bursting to life.

S17:ORD-2.DAGGER-3 yells "<:: GO! ::>"

*** S17:SDR-2.RANGER-0 grunts as he hears the command, stumbling to his feet with a last burst of energy, half running and half falling as he saved his skin, tightly clutching the datashard.

*** The Ordinal goes to the floor before RANGER even has time to come to a stop, legs crumpling out from beneath them. DAGGER-3 dies.

*** S17:SDR-2.RANGER-0 hears the scream of the bio-signal, his fist slamming into the nearest wall as he screams out in anger, still running toward the exit best he could.

** You woke up, yet again. You're pulled over on the highway - The date was 04.10.1999. This all felt like a bad dream... or was it?

<:: LOST BIOSIGNAL FOR UNIT S17:ORD-2.DAGGER-3 ::>
<:: LOST BIOSIGNAL FOR UNIT S17:SDR-2.RANGER-0 ::>

o7 Dagger-3. I hope that the closure given in the numerous /itds written was enjoyable and memorable.

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
7r0bfzD.png

after shitting on people for so many years for making stupid slavic stereotype characters as a sort of final act of hate from god the only shit i could find for clothing makes my Ukranian character look like a dumb fucking idiot and now I'm embarassed to show my face

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
do people on the combine side have objectives besides "push this button" and hunt people indiscriminately?
no i think a lot of the "objectives" on this map are vaguely different

i wouldnt call it a push this button ordeal but, generally speaking, a lot of the critical things civil protection has done so far was engineering-adjacent. that said, i think the variety between them is, at least from my point of view, decently noticeable:

-to get the synth deployment working again, we had to perform manual repairs through a workshift-esque thing with admin supervision
-to get the relay nodes (whatever the hell they are) working, we had to either find replacement pieces or repair existing pieces
-to get the transhumanization place working, we ?????????????????????????????? i was offline

i think a large problem in my opinion though is the apparent endlessness of resources. i understand there is always a certain "underdog story" theme going on when it comes to civil protection or combine factions versus citizens or rebel factions, but we're in the middle of nowhere, suffering from all sorts of problems (e.g. our food supplies being destroyed after being contaminated after being used up), yet the "mission-critical" things seem (they may not be so, but from my humble PoV it appears that way) to be infinite. i'm not talking about things like ammo or batteries or medigel, but rather RP-adjacent things:

earlier today, i asked DEFENDER-3 -- god rest his soul -- What's stopping us from putting up a forcefield at the gate? his answer to this was, effectively, nothing (the actual answer was something along the lines of If you find emitters big enough, feel free to try.). although you could interpret the forcefield part issue as a resource problem, i think it stems from a different need entirely and is irrelevant to this point i'm making

similarly, as long as we have an APC running, there's nothing really stopping us from reparing every facet of the (above-ground) base as much of the combine fortifications aren't destroyed, theyre just displaced (for example: the smart barriers that were pushed over, or the watchtower that was knocked over)

i think something that would help a lot in this kind of dynamic is if we had to actually bodge apart or bodge together things to make it work. nothing overly complex, but for example: the generators in the base are down. we don't have the parts to conventionally repair it. do we dismantle a couple of combine dark energy generators to do retrofit them for this instead? what would we lose as a consequence of this?

the loss of rations makes it seem to me like civil protection is being led down the path of survivalism, and i think RPing that kind of an aspect out properly would be a really cool vibe, but i think certain aspects of the base-life need certain consequences for the sake of the non-competetive RP that's supposed to be happening at least sometimes here

i had immense fun technobabbling my way through implementing combine tech in the lighthouse, and also while repairing the synth deployment chamber. that kind of stuff helped me zero in a part of my character's backstory. i may be biased, ultimately, considering this, but if we were required to ramshackle things together to survive, it'd spice things up a lot more in my opinion when you start having to consider what is more valuable between a repair bay, medical triage machinery, or a transhuman stasis pod

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
no i think a lot of the "objectives" on this map are vaguely different

i wouldnt call it a push this button ordeal but, generally speaking, a lot of the critical things civil protection has done so far was engineering-adjacent. that said, i think the variety between them is, at least from my point of view, decently noticeable:

-to get the synth deployment working again, we had to perform manual repairs through a workshift-esque thing with admin supervision
-to get the relay nodes (whatever the hell they are) working, we had to either find replacement pieces or repair existing pieces
-to get the transhumanization place working, we ?????????????????????????????? i was offline

i think a large problem in my opinion though is the apparent endlessness of resources. i understand there is always a certain "underdog story" theme going on when it comes to civil protection or combine factions versus citizens or rebel factions, but we're in the middle of nowhere, suffering from all sorts of problems (e.g. our food supplies being destroyed after being contaminated after being used up), yet the "mission-critical" things seem (they may not be so, but from my humble PoV it appears that way) to be infinite. i'm not talking about things like ammo or batteries or medigel, but rather RP-adjacent things:

earlier today, i asked DEFENDER-3 -- god rest his soul -- What's stopping us from putting up a forcefield at the gate? his answer to this was, effectively, nothing (the actual answer was something along the lines of If you find emitters big enough, feel free to try.). although you could interpret the forcefield part issue as a resource problem, i think it stems from a different need entirely and is irrelevant to this point i'm making

similarly, as long as we have an APC running, there's nothing really stopping us from reparing every facet of the (above-ground) base as much of the combine fortifications aren't destroyed, theyre just displaced (for example: the smart barriers that were pushed over, or the watchtower that was knocked over)

i think something that would help a lot in this kind of dynamic is if we had to actually bodge apart or bodge together things to make it work. nothing overly complex, but for example: the generators in the base are down. we don't have the parts to conventionally repair it. do we dismantle a couple of combine dark energy generators to do retrofit them for this instead? what would we lose as a consequence of this?

the loss of rations makes it seem to me like civil protection is being led down the path of survivalism, and i think RPing that kind of an aspect out properly would be a really cool vibe, but i think certain aspects of the base-life need certain consequences for the sake of the non-competetive RP that's supposed to be happening at least sometimes here

i had immense fun technobabbling my way through implementing combine tech in the lighthouse, and also while repairing the synth deployment chamber. that kind of stuff helped me zero in a part of my character's backstory. i may be biased, ultimately, considering this, but if we were required to ramshackle things together to survive, it'd spice things up a lot more in my opinion when you start having to consider what is more valuable between a repair bay, medical triage machinery, or a transhuman stasis pod

This is actually a really cool idea @Numbers