real question

why the fuck wasnt "/me opens fire" or "/me shoots" viable

why did everyone pad out their /me's

Reactions: List

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
The whole fucking "with the intent to kill" shit always gets me

Literally just padding out the /me to make it just slightly more detailed. It was either giant wall of text detailing every inhale of breath as you pull the trigger or it was that.

lmfao
one of my favorite things to do was shooting finger guns at cops in passing (with intent to charm)

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
real question

why the fuck was

"/me opens fire" or "/me shoots" viable

beacuse the rule said you had to write a "detailed emote of at least 2 lines" to initiate s2k so everyone made a really padded out boilerplate emote they copypasted so they didnt have to type it and since it wasnt a bind it was technically not forbidden by the rules

god that mindset is such a crock of shit

Russell

Proton
Nebulae
image.png

what was up with domo on old gmod maps around 2011-2014?

Brandon_

Now in a relationship with Sectus
Nebulae
NwedwHD.jpeg

I always got so annoyed with the admins that kept deleting the CID locker CP's had where they stashed the real gem cards so I resorted to keeping some of them on me at all times.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
real question

why the fuck wasnt "/me opens fire" or "/me shoots" viable

Real answer:

It was disallowed on LemonPunch (Likely because it looks low effort or something) and we carried on doing it the same way because it worked there.

In hindsight copy/pasting is just as bad and at the time I think we all knew it but finding a better alternative that wasn't just letting people do /me fire wasn't really on the cards

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Real answer:

It was disallowed on LemonPunch (Likely because it looks low effort or something) and we carried on doing it the same way because it worked there.

In hindsight copy/pasting is just as bad and at the time I think we all knew it but finding a better alternative that wasn't just letting people do /me fire wasn't really on the cards

personally i would've just said the act of shooting a gun is roleplay enough

or was it solely for logging reasons so you can determine who categorically "started" the fight

Brandon_

Nebulae
PSdOCYb.jpeg

Also late to the proselyte discussion, this was always funny to me. Truly Proselyte recruitment went down the shitter when they have to ask for dwarfs.

Erkor

Nebulae
honestly i think you should have forced people to roleplay firefights until they got it through their head or mutually agreed to deathmatch

that way the s2k culture could have been squelched...

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae

or was it solely for logging reasons so you can determine who categorically "started" the fight
you'd be able to start based on who started shooting/who took damage first usually

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae

It introduces a whole host of new problems, which is why we never went that route

At least imo

honestly i think you should have forced people to roleplay firefights until they got it through their head or mutually agreed to deathmatch

that way the s2k culture could have been squelched...
Unfortunately s2k is the only system that ever worked for us, we never fully tried other systems I will agree but completely changing how you do combat on a server overnight just wasn't possible. We could only experiment never fully revamp bc honestly people liked s2k

Like as much as it's shitty to say, a lot of people liked s2k and thought it was the best way to do combat and I mostly agree even if a lot of the time it was very anti RP

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
Unfortunately s2k is the only system that ever worked for us, we never fully tried other systems I will agree but completely changing how you do combat on a server overnight just wasn't possible. We could only experiment never fully revamp bc honestly people liked s2k

Like as much as it's shitty to say, a lot of people liked s2k and thought it was the best way to do combat and I mostly agree even if a lot of the time it was very anti RP
always hated S2K especially in enclosed spaces. way out in the open it's a little bit more fair, at least against NPCs and larger 'boss' enemies like Striders and Hunters (though they usually go for S2M anyway), but if you're in a small room it's abysmal and always will be.

then again I regularly play vortigaunts, which are glass cannons all the way. if you've got anyone in the same room as you then you either have to hope they forgive you after blasting them (even when they were the ones who ran infront of your firing line) or stand back and watch as you become a fish in a barrel, unable to attack without the fear of either killing someone or getting caught mid animation

Brandon_

Nebulae
91564E6EA7E2AFE04B3FBEAECE070B088B46A71A

I forgot the context to this but I think the vort did something bad and had to get beaten/searched and it was found he was carrying the entire outlands population of watermelons on him

(Shout out to the hyper-muscular rebels who get super buffed by eating beans and these)

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
It introduces a whole host of new problems, which is why we never went that route

At least imo

Back when HL2RP was really taking off, initially things were always S2M (with bullet spread abysmally high depending on your weapons skill) which sucked major donkey balls (imo).

S2K at least is more enjoyable for me. S2RP is fun when it's within a calculated event with all parties knowing what they're doing (no clutter)

Erkor

Nebulae

i think the turn of an iteration is the perfect time to make a radical change, be it gradually or instantly; sometimes you need to shock them with cold water to make them get to their senses

i faced a lot of resistance re: letting overwatch soldiers roleplay on TnB, especially when i first floated the idea (and thats like right off the heels of alex shooting down the proposal in the OTA subforum). when we hopped iterations, i pulled every single brake possible to force it to happen, and in that particular situation (with a bit of guidance to the burgeoning transhuman roleplayers to keep them from being weird) it smoothed out perfectly

obviously YMMV with this kind of stuff but a couple people had suggested a gradual shift in event-hosting to encourage roleplaying rather than S2K'ing against event antagonists and i think that kind of an approach could help a lot in slowly deprogramming some people's brains from being gunfight-hungry script-hogs

naturally not everyone is like that but i think shifting the atmosphere on that in particular can help a lot in cultivating a much more cooperative environment