Serious HL2RP - Moving Forward

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Also yeah do NOT do this. As @Trains said neb just did this and it was literally dead on arrival.

You have to do something fundamentally different. The numbers iteration was so good because the drop in drop out gameplay loop was fundamentally different to just city RP. Even if you change the story setting (like doing that post 7 hour war thing) it will NOT work. You MUST do something different on a gameplay level.
Yeah so - I think maybe I worded it wrong a little?

I'm wanting to do something a bit more episodic in terms of the progression of a story with events happening at set times but having the server still open as a sort of mild progression in between things. That's the way I envision any future HL2RP under Neb.
I also believe as far as development goes - there's still the possiblity of attracting those who would work further on the gamemode, but at the moment we need to offer something beside that to even attract the interest in the first place - no point pouring time and effort into something if ultimately its a dead heading.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I think short-term stuff with a planned beginning/middle/end is the way to go. Stretch it for a few months if you gotta, but make sure it ends and do the server like that.

Whether the server stays on during the "downtime" between active days isn't really important, so long as you stress things will only move forward on certain days.

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I think my point is regarding to downtime is for that to be an opportunity for players to develop the relationships between characters, expand on their character even more in effect in preparation for the event upcoming.
it's the little things that make a character interesting - and the events should work in such a way where they are accomodating to the players that partake in it. Players should feel a part of the world. There decisions matter, it impacts on the world around them.

Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I think my point is regarding to downtime is for that to be an opportunity for players to develop the relationships between characters, expand on their character even more in effect in preparation for the event upcoming.
it's the little things that make a character interesting - and the events should work in such a way where they are accomodating to the players that partake in it. Players should feel a part of the world. There decisions matter, it impacts on the world around them.

I think this works well, as long as people don't view the downtime more as CityRP-lite, and instead simply a chance for people to breathe between the narrative pushes.

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I think this works well, as long as people don't view the downtime more as CityRP-lite, and instead simply a chance for people to breathe between the narrative pushes.
Yeah - I do think some minor progression can be made in the form of you know, getting yourself ready for the next big thing, using the systems we already have on the server to prepare for that. That's my vision for that the 'in-between' would play out.

boots

spooky skellys
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
the people dooming a 24/7 server, saying that the olden days of hl2rp are dead need only to look at our competitor to see how they're flourishing, and perhaps try to imitate some of the stuff that gives them success.

it also needs to cater to a new audience, there's just too much negativity imo

over and over headstaff catered to people's complaints and requests, just for them not to show up to play when those demands were met, then to start asking for other things and trying to pin the blame on something or somebody. it's the same thing on repeat

I'm not going to lie, I think the biggest drawback to our community is the lack of developmental process, even with the introduction of new developers, it's a long tedious road to travel and the workload is so huge that I don't doubt they get overwhelmed

neb hl2rp atm exists only as a skeleton schema to what it should have. I think a 24/7 is definitely feasible and there very clearly is an audience for it, our scripts are somewhat outdated and the gameplay loop is repetitive, no matter how many systems you make using excel spreadsheets

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
the people dooming a 24/7 server, saying that the olden days of hl2rp are dead need only to look at our competitor to see how they're flourishing, and perhaps try to imitate some of the stuff that gives them success.

it also needs to cater to a new audience, there's just too much negativity imo

over and over headstaff catered to people's complaints and requests, just for them not to show up to play when those demands were met, then to start asking for other things and trying to pin the blame on something or somebody. it's the same thing on repeat

I'm not going to lie, I think the biggest drawback to our community is the lack of developmental process, even with the introduction of new developers, it's a long tedious road to travel and the workload is so huge that I don't doubt they get overwhelmed

neb hl2rp atm exists only as a skeleton schema to what it should have. I think a 24/7 is definitely feasible and there very clearly is an audience for it, our scripts are somewhat outdated and the gameplay loop is repetitive, no matter how many systems you make using excel spreadsheets
This is something I agree to, however the cavaet is that we can't exactly attract much interest from developers if we have virtually nothing to work off from.

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
My advice

Let's do Black Mesa RP instead

e: I'm serious. This is not a joke. Being a rebel is fucking boring, being combine is fucking boring, its a constant back and forth of boring fights. With Black Mesa RP there's a set structure, people aren't at constant war with each other, and we can do more with it. ESPECIALLY since there's like no Black Mesa RP servers anymore

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
My advice

Let's do Black Mesa RP instead
I think we should definetly incorporate things from it a lot more - but I think it's not very open to new players.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
This is something I agree to, however the cavaet is that we can't exactly attract much interest from developers if we have virtually nothing to work off from.

I'd argue the reverse. A big part of why Linn's iteration died, as did last iteration, is because dev work attracts a lot of interest and in both cases the devs then vanished after the promises were made, leaving people fully aware that there'd be no progress so it'd be the same-ole-same-old.

Hell, dev work is arguably the biggest thing alongside concept that attracts players back.

Tbf there, they're flourishing for the same reasons we did in 2016 - 2018. They have a playerbase that's been with them since the start (via merger or otherwise), wants what they offer and don't see anywhere else as a valid option.

By contrast, the bulk of our "normal" playerbase have moved on and would only come back for something extremely different or that had a lot of dev push behind it (see Numbers iteration).

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
I think we should definetly incorporate things from it a lot more - but I think it's not very open to new players.
On the contrary, the unusual esoteric approaches of HL2RP iteration past has been a big put-off for new players. It's the same oldguard who's always been around that's been the primary audience for these new approaches, the same people who like playing the same kind of character. It's nice to have us all around but that number isn't getting any bigger.

Black Mesa RP, however, isn't about having two big groups of players constantly at war with each other. It isn't about an extensive lore-heavy world where there's a worldly crisis going on and a looming great threat of the Combine. It isn't a dystopia. It's a sci-fi world set in a lab in New Mexico.

It's a lot more relaxed. More opportunities for creative endeavours that don't rely on murdering everyone. The people that want to be cops, you're in luck, because you could become Security or a member of the HECU. You could start out as a custodial worker, or an entry-level scientist; work your way up to fantastical discoveries.

And the best part? We don't have to follow the canon. What about a Black Mesa where the Resonance Cascade never happened? A Black Mesa where Xen was still a location being researched and investigated, a place where Xenians like Vortigaunts could exist and have their own kind of RP. Along with that, you could have some fun character concepts like a conspiracy nut scientist who describes all aliens as little green men, and yet denies the existence of xen despite all evidence. Just think about how Race X could actually become an enemy force.

Black Mesa RP holds the components of HL2RP, with a new coat of paint, a much more fun approach, and gets rid of the years-long stigmas held between the two notorious groups at play, being the Rebels and the Combine.

boots

spooky skellys
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
On the contrary, the unusual esoteric approaches of HL2RP iteration past has been a big put-off for new players. It's the same oldguard who's always been around that's been the primary audience for these new approaches, the same people who like playing the same kind of character. It's nice to have us all around but that number isn't getting any bigger.

Black Mesa RP, however, isn't about having two big groups of players constantly at war with each other. It isn't about an extensive lore-heavy world where there's a worldly crisis going on and a looming great threat of the Combine. It isn't a dystopia. It's a sci-fi world set in a lab in New Mexico.

It's a lot more relaxed. More opportunities for creative endeavours that don't rely on murdering everyone. The people that want to be cops, you're in luck, because you could become Security or a member of the HECU. You could start out as a custodial worker, or an entry-level scientist; work your way up to fantastical discoveries.

And the best part? We don't have to follow the canon. What about a Black Mesa where the Resonance Cascade never happened? A Black Mesa where Xen was still a location being researched and investigated, a place where Xenians like Vortigaunts could exist and have their own kind of RP. Along with that, you could have some fun character concepts like a conspiracy nut scientist who describes all aliens as little green men, and yet denies the existence of xen despite all evidence. Just think about how Race X could actually become an enemy force.

Black Mesa RP holds the components of HL2RP, with a new coat of paint, a much more fun approach, and gets rid of the years-long stigmas held between the two notorious groups at play, being the Rebels and the Combine.
what you are describing is WAY more developmental work than if we just adapted and added things to the current hl2rp

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
what you are describing is WAY more developmental work than if we just adapted and added things to the current hl2rp
Dev work is the only salvation; there's bound to be developers out there who can work with Helix, and although they may cost money there's a reason why we have Premium on the forum

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Dev work is the only salvation; there's bound to be developers out there who can work with Helix, and although they may cost money there's a reason why we have Premium on the forum
I don't think it makes as much money as you think aha.

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
I don't think it makes as much money as you think aha.
It certainly could, if there was more incentive to pay

But that's a whole different discussion

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
every other alternative out there has 1. actual active development 2. staff teams that are bigger and not burnt out 3. larger playerbases 4. are willing to do some things differently

*LOUD INCORRECT BUZZER*

*LOUD CORRECT BUZZER*

Laura

Nucleus
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
Nebulae
Calling people's takes on 24/7 servers ( same people who've played those types of servers for the past decade ) as 'dooming' is just being disingenuous. 24/7 aren't what they used to be, and they will never be what you image. And besides, the reason why our 'competitor' is 'flourishing' is not because of it being 24/7 server. Its their devving, their discords, their semi-stable team.

Regardless, 24/7 GmodRP servers are the thing of the past. The market has much better quality, shorter time commitment roleplay opportunities available for people. And the community of people that built Nebulous up, are quite ready to move on. And have moved on.

šŸ˜¬

Its incredible to see regardless with how long you've been in the staff team that, that you think that the development is the 'biggest drawback'. ( It's not. )

Who would come back to nebulous.cloud if our scripts were 'modern' or something. And second point, gameplay loops are meant to repetitive.. that's why they are called gameplay loops.
And regardless, even when those 'excel spreadsheet systems' that you described, was made into the server. It like... changed nothing. Those systems weren't the core of why the servers failed.

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
In regards to Development - what exactly are people desiring? I've seen a lot of talk about wanting to have a developer do /something/, but what does that something look like?

Chezburger

american idiot
Nebulae
I would much sooner join something like Willard compared to a barebones (thankfully, neb hl2 is not from what I understand, just stagnant) helix hl2rp server

Imagine your favorite game, now imagine it in alpha/beta

It makes a considerable difference in enjoyment and maintained interest. Updates and dev blogs keep people checking in and experiencing the place. I'm sure you can ask people who are nearing a double digit year veterancy here how it felt seeing the changelog get updated and get a positive response

I've not played in a long time but from what I see of the place, UI improvements are never a bad thing to just fill in and do- first time I saw Fallout 4's HUD I wanted to cry. Something as simple as that can be a stepping stone to something more complex like character stats being reworked or whatever