How did you get into Gmod and HL2/Source in general

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
one of my friends bought me Gmod because he wanted to play gmod with me

after this i discovered lemonpunch hl2rp while browsing the server list because i was bored

another friend (that i met through the server) gave me half life 2 + episodes for christmas

easy money baby i never paid a fucking DIME

Reactions: List

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae

then I found gmod idiot box

why im still playing is beyond me

wait no

It was this actually

imagine my shock when i joined my first darkrp server and didn’t see any of that, just got called a slur

Last edited:

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
imagine my shock when i joined my first darkrp server and didn’t see any of that, just got called a slur
08c2f745b2eded20ce540fbab692e987.png

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
idiots of gmod/gmod idiot box was where it started for me p sure

I stumbled across those videos since they were tangentially related to TF2 stuff. TF2 was a game that I was really interested in back then as well

FieldersNL

heck
Nebulae
My dad had The Orange Box bundle for the Xbox 360 in 2008 and I remember him playing Portal one time. I was interested playing aswell, coming to realise when I started up the bundle, there were 5 games to play. After some time playing through the 5 games, I decided with my brother to search the some of the games on Youtube and these were the most memorable results I found that got me invested into Half Life 2 and source.

Then I wanted to play Half Life 2 on the PC, so we pirated the base game with Half Life 2 Deathmatch and the old Synergy game and we had a lot of fun playing. After getting my own PC, I bought the Orange Box with it and I only had 0.01 euro left in my wallet, but I was 8 at the time so it didn't matter that much. But I came to realize there were more than just the 5 games and so on 2 January 2009, I made my first profile on Steam.

Aspect™

Proton
Nebulae
If I remember correctly, my first Source game was TF2. From that, I ended up somehow trading up to 2 keys and then grabbing Gmod from scrap.tf as a gift with the keys (I was a child at the time and thus could not actually buy anything). Quite an odd/funny way of getting into Gmod imo

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
i played battlefield 2 sandbox when i was little then transitioned to gmod

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Started out on TF2 back in '09?

Somehow I ended up with a free copy of Half Life Deathmatch: Source and stuck with it for three weeks until stumbling across Zombie Panic: Source. A couple of months of that lead me to something called 'Garry's Mod'. Didn't have CSS at the time and got addicted to TTT so I started begging people for free trial versions of CSS until I had the money to see things that weren't checkermarked purple.

Didn't know what the hell Half Life was until I started checking out servers a year later.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
It took me so long, but I finally found out what I used to mess around with in old versions of Gmod in like 2011~2012. Before the game had Workshop support, it used to have this thing called 'Toybox' and it took me so long to figure out if it even existed because there's almost no information about it online.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
It took me so long, but I finally found out what I used to mess around with in old versions of Gmod in like 2011~2012. Before the game had Workshop support, it used to have this thing called 'Toybox' and it took me so long to figure out if it even existed because there's almost no information about it online.
toybox was janky as fuck

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
knew about it through watching lots of gmod animations (kitty0706, others that i cant really remember), portal theories, tf2 commentaries and alike even though i was probably 10-12 at the time

first source experience was probably begging my uncle to buy me portal 2 for the ps3, even though i had never even played portal 1

after that i got into tf2 by playing it on a shitty dell computer at my cousins house

was extremely interested in gmod, especially the animation aspect of it cause i wanted to become an animator when i was young. Downloaded a pirated copy of it and did posing and shit with the basic tools, just generally fucking around

had no money so made a bet with my friend (who was shit at tf2) that whoever wins the most rounds of 1v1ing as each class would buy the other 3(?) mann co keys, banking on the fact that id probably win all rounds (i did)

forgot about the bet until like a year or two later, randomly brought it up but struck a deal so that he'd get me gmod instead of the keys (barely played tf2 at the time and it was cheaper than the keys cause of sales)

played random shit like darkrp, doctor who rp, scp:cb back when it was still a gmod gamemode, military rp

didnt know shit about hl2 aside from general facts due to the aformentioned videos created by early 2010s youtube neckbeards, randomly logged onto neb and left

came back like a half year later, got into it more, eventually got the games gifted to me by some forum user and i finally played through them

Provingmedusa

Scourge of Antlions
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I first knew it existed when I watched DasBoSchitt's Idiot Boxes. Around the same time I played the shit out of the Orange Box on my Xbox 360. At some point I ended up getting gmod. Snowballed from there.

Generally Fruity

Proton
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
DBS brought me into Garry's Mod with the Idiot Box series. First learned about Serious RP in an HL2RP let's play. At first I thought it was some sort of DarkRP analogue but then the guy and his buddies started yammering about "finding the resistance" or something and that really drew me in. Had an air of mystery to it that other servers didn't at the time.