New PC build I'm getting, so excited!

2stronk

Proton
Nebulae
you only need a single 1080 ti really

anything additional is overkill and isn't worth it right now as there is literally nothing that requires for you to have two cards
no such thing as overkill, many pc games are still optimized like shit and require monster cards for decent framerates (see mafia 3, dishonored 2, nier automata, wildlands, etc)

but SLI is a waste of money because instead of one card rapidly losing value you suddenly have two in a configuration that many games dont even support, and in those that do the benefit is rarely worth the cash

rather get a single titan XP (the new one) or something

Reactions: List

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
no such thing as overkill, many pc games are still optimized like shit and require monster cards for decent framerates (see mafia 3, dishonored 2, nier automata, wildlands, etc)

but SLI is a waste of money because instead of one card rapidly losing value you suddenly have two in a configuration that many games dont even support, and in those that do the benefit is rarely worth the cash

rather get a single titan XP (the new one) or something
I thought the 1080ti literally performed the same or sometimes better than a titan

Trissy

Privacy Connoisseur
Nebulae
I'm not getting an i5, I do 3D modeling and rendering
You should switch to a GPU-based rendering pipeline.
Get an extreme edition intel, not an i7.
Extreme editions are made and marketed solely towards a target group who spends money for the sake of spending them. They're not worth the price.

HL2RP Tryhurdo

Neutrino
Nebulae
sorry for being an ass but then who cares

i dont make threads everytime im excited because i fucked or i bought an expensive piece of clothing or stuff like that
Well that's wonderful, I'm glad for you. But I for one would like to share my excitement with random strangers on the internet, if you don't care, then why waste your time and comment on it? You could be spending your time fucking, and not making threads about it. That's just my 2 cents, but then again you didn't ask for it, so I'm being a hypocrite.
[doublepost=1493320735][/doublepost]
You should switch to a GPU-based rendering pipeline.

Extreme editions are made and marketed solely towards a target group who spends money for the sake of spending them. They're not worth the price.
Exactly my reasoning, I'm not wasting that much more money on a extreme edition processor, for that little of a upgrade (For the price.) I know that sounds stupid since I'm spending $ 2000 on a computer, but all the pieces in my PC I'm buying are worth the money. Also to anyone reading this, I'm not buying both graphics cards at the same time, I plan on buying the entire computer, then going for the extra 1080ti afterwards. Who knows, I might be satisfied with the performance and not buy it.
[doublepost=1493320827][/doublepost]
I miss mom and dads credit card ; o ;
Lol, I wish my parents had credit cards maxed over 3000 XD their poor as dirt man. My mom has hella arthritis and I have to help buy her medicine because her insurance doesn't cover it.

Shadow Flex

Nucleus
Nebulae
Not even close. They offer a tangible performance improvement over the core series for workstation based workloads.

Trissy

Privacy Connoisseur
Nebulae
Not even close. They offer a tangible performance improvement over the core series for workstation based workloads.
Most of them have the word 'Gaming' inserted into their name somewhere. How can you be serious about this?

If you want a good workstation CPU, grab a Xeon.

Shadow Flex

Nucleus
Nebulae
Most of them have the word 'Gaming' inserted into their name somewhere. How can you be serious about this?

If you want a good workstation CPU, grab a Xeon.
Intel doesn't sell them for gaming, where did you get that from?

Going by your logic Xeons should be an even bigger gimmick.

scrubmcnoob

Human Resource
Nebulae
You should honestly take the advice of people here and not get a second card for SLI
You seriously are just wasting 680 dollars.
And if you want to ignorantly disregard that advice and buy it, it's your financial burden.

@2stronk did point out that one beefier card is better than two cards cause most games don't event support SLI

Shadow Flex

Nucleus
Nebulae
You should honestly take the advice of people here and not get a second card for SLI
And if you want to ignorantly disregard that advice and buy it, it's your financial burden.

@2stronk did point out that one beefier card is better than two cards cause most games don't event support SLI
That's actually very true I can back that up.

Most games have shitty crossfire and sli compatibility so just take your current game lineup and divide it by half. That's how much games can even remotely utilize the SLI setup.

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae

the guy already said he wasn't going to buy two cards straight off
he said he'd buy ONE first and potentially upgrade to TWO if he thought he needed/wanted it - as well as saying if he buys one and he feels its fine, he won't get another one.

Trissy

Privacy Connoisseur
Nebulae
Intel doesn't sell them for gaming, where did you get that from?

Going by your logic Xeons should be an even bigger gimmick.
X6tKPEc.png

BkuL4pl.png

And what is my logic? Price = how hard you're getting screwed over?

My logic is that everything with the word "gaming" in it is overpriced and only made to make money off of anyone gullible enough to buy into the whole "im a kewl gamur xddd" thing.

Weeknder

Nucleus
B A N N E D
Nebulae
X6tKPEc.png

BkuL4pl.png

And what is my logic? Price = how hard you're getting screwed over?

My logic is that everything with the word "gaming" in it is overpriced and only made to make money off of anyone gullible enough to buy into the whole "im a kewl gamur xddd" thing.
pay 2k for alienware gaming pc which can be self assembled for 500 euros.

Shadow Flex

Nucleus
Nebulae
And everyone with sufficient enough knowledge in this field knows that the extreme editions are not a gimmick if you're looking for more performance.
[doublepost=1493326139][/doublepost]
And that somehow excludes the core lineup that is de facto made for gaming.

Trissy

Privacy Connoisseur
Nebulae
And everyone with sufficient enough knowledge in this field knows that the extreme editions are not a gimmick if you're looking for more performance.
That's strange because as someone with sufficient knowledge in this field, I can only find things that disprove that theory. These things can be found in my above posts, which you seem to avoid responding to.

If you want to argue further about this, send me a private message. We have already derailed this thread too much.

2stronk

Proton
Nebulae
depends what you buy

obviously you'd want to put "gaming" in the title of your product to differentiate from office hardware, competitors and the likes. it's no less of a scam than say high-end office headsets for telemarketing firms. of course i would want to buy a "gaming" keyboard instead of a logitech K270, because although the "gaming" keyboard may be more expensive, it's been tailored for my needs, which is to play video games. no matter what product you buy there's always gonna be a cheaper alternative.

by your logic people who buy cars like BMW and Mercedes are gullible idiots getting scammed because there's perfectly fine Toyotas and Hyundais available

Nova_

Electron
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
you only need a single 1080 ti really

anything additional is overkill and isn't worth it right now as there is literally nothing that requires for you to have two cards

I have a habit of buying two cards as well not due to the fact i need them immediately but because they run swell in the long run.

Trissy

Privacy Connoisseur
Nebulae
depends what you buy

obviously you'd want to put "gaming" in the title of your product to differentiate from office hardware, competitors and the likes. it's no less of a scam than say high-end office headsets for telemarketing firms. of course i would want to buy a "gaming" keyboard instead of a logitech K270, because although the "gaming" keyboard may be more expensive, it's been tailored for my needs, which is to play video games. no matter what product you buy there's always gonna be a cheaper alternative.

by your logic people who buy cars like BMW and Mercedes are gullible idiots getting scammed because there's perfectly fine Toyotas and Hyundais available
Yes, I guess I should have been more definitive in my statement. I was trying to make a joke, which is why I was being so specific. I don't mean that there are NO gaming products not worth the price, simply that most of them aren't. I also did not mean to say that you should buy a cheaper product, simply that you should do your research and buy the product that is best for you. When it comes to mice and keyboards, this 'best for you' could be based on how it looks, but when it comes to computer hardware, that doesn't matter. You're not going to be staring into your computer while you're playing video james.

EDIT: Using your car-based example, my logic wasn't "you should just buy cheaper because a car is a car right", but rather that if there was a Toyota available, which was much more powerful than an overpriced BMW, you should go for the Toyota.