Obsidian's New RPG: The Outer Worlds

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Epic's just kinda lacking the features I've come to expect,
Personally I have the 'username test' where, the experience of changing my account's display name proves to be a good showcase of my future user experience.

In Epic's case, I have my issues
  • Can only change the name once every 2 weeks
  • Display names, despite not being an essential in logins, cannot be one somebody already picked.
Doesn't mean the storefront is going to be bad, just means I know it's going to be far more cumbersome and restricted than I've come to expect elsewhere.

https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap

Aleks

Vaporwaves Skeletons
Nebulae
What if Epic games brought a Gears of War 1 and 2 port to their store, would you buy it? I think I would.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
What if Epic games brought a Gears of War 1 and 2 port to their store, would you buy it? I think I would.
MS own the rights to GoW but Epic were the creators so it's entirely possible it could come to Windows Store and Epic.

Aleks

Vaporwaves Skeletons
Nebulae
MS own the rights to GoW but Epic were the creators so it's entirely possible it could come to Windows Store and Epic.
Well it seems they're interested in porting some older games to PC, if Halo does well I could see them making a deal with porting GoW.

D

Deleted member 118

Lets talk about the game. Epic Games deserves its own thread at this point if there ain't one yet

Mancom37

Atom
Nebulae
I mean I have used stuff like the Wargaming Launcher for ages to play World of Warships or Total War Arena. Hopefully their launcher is alright but either way I am not seeing myself buying this game in the future.

Shame that the author of Metro had to see the shitshow that developed from Epic Games pulling the game from Steam. Also alex you have said that this could lower the game prices, did it happen before?

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Epic Games pulling the game from Steam.
Again, this is completely false. Epic Games did not pull any game from Steam, the publisher signed a deal with Epic Games for exclusivity; You can push this bullshit narrative all you want but I'll keep calling you out on blatant lies.

Reactions: List

PandaCG

Hates Combine for Kill Family
Nebulae
i still don't see the problem with games being on epic and not steam personally. not that i have anything to back that up with, but i just don't see the need to be so picky about it

on top of this though, a lot of my developer friends have been glad to switch over to epic. i wonder why...

Mancom37

Atom
Nebulae
Again, this is completely false. Epic Games did not pull any game from Steam, the publisher signed a deal with Epic Games for exclusivity; You can push this bullshit narrative all you want but I'll keep calling you out on blatant lies.

That is the narrative that I have been hearing for quite some time, I mostly keep myself to the books and sometimes the games. But then I don't understand, did they sign the deal while the game was on steam or beforehand? Wouldn't steam have been informed about this deal?

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
That is the narrative that I have been hearing for quite some time, I mostly keep myself to the books and sometimes the games. But then I don't understand, did they sign the deal while the game was on steam or beforehand? Wouldn't steam have been informed about this deal?
Generally most deals are done before it's announced what PC platform it's gonna be on.

Some games are on both steam/epic and some are exclusive to either.

There are cases where the deals are made after the fact though, namely Metro and Phoenix Point

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
i still don't see the problem with games being on epic and not steam personally. not that i have anything to back that up with, but i just don't see the need to be so picky about it

on top of this though, a lot of my developer friends have been glad to switch over to epic. i wonder why...
Yeah, because Epic are going full force on supporting developers and even putting a $100 million developer grant program in place. The larger cut will be huge for game developers and the bandwaggon against Epic could really harm legitimate progress within the industry.

The publisher signed a deal with Epic Games after they had already taken pre-orders on Steam, the Steam orders were fulfilled so they weren't screwed over. It's on the publisher and the studio for anyones disagreements with that happening. You're repeating a false narrative.

Mancom37

Atom
Nebulae
Yeah, because Epic are going full force on supporting developers and even putting a $100 million developer grant program in place. The larger cut will be huge for game developers and the bandwaggon against Epic could really harm legitimate progress within the industry.

The publisher signed a deal with Epic Games after they had already taken pre-orders on Steam, the Steam orders were fulfilled so they weren't screwed over. It's on the publisher and the studio for anyones disagreements with that happening. You're repeating a false narrative.

Sure so it is just Epic competing with Steam now, don't worry fam I am not bought by Gaben to bring down the great King of Battle Royal, no need to put me on trial.

bubblegum

you should see me in a crown
Nebulae
I mean in all honesty is just a bad move for them. If Exodus is anything to go off people will just pirate it because it isn’t on steam.

Do people still buy singleplayer games?

Deadpool

A turtle made it to the water
Nebulae
at the end of the day im just gonna buy the game for 10 dollars 1-2 years later on steam

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
at the end of the day im just gonna buy the game for 10 dollars 1-2 years later on steam
i wouldnt be surprised if the exclusivity contract mandates they can only release it at full original price on platforms like steam even if its 12 months after anyone actually cares about it