OUR BENEFACTORS - FEEDBACK

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae

And here we are.

Thanks to everyone for playing. It's been a long time coming - and a lot of work.

New and exciting ideas on our horizon - and with ron as a dev, passion is slowly seeping back into things.

See you all on the coast.​

Reactions: List
Nebulae
I won't sugar-coat my disappointment in this one. I'm happy with the build-up and siege, that was very entertaining. I'm not happy with the obvious 'you're supposed to leave now' approach that was apparent following our 'losing the objective'. Any efforts to quell the sudden betrayal from the directors was blocked and then we were hit with this to get us to leave:

image.png

I get we went off-course as soon as we refused to get on that train the first time, however I think it's more befitting of the event-management to change the circumstances of the story to fit player-action rather than default to what's planned to begin with. We could've had another week of C24-like civil-war thanks to no-one having access to combine-tech in the city. Instead we're left with another unsatisfying conclusion that leaves a majority of the active playerbase side-lined for giving the good guys the win.

I'm not going to flood the feedback page with responses to others that reply to this, that's my statement.

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
ambience, music, event text and everything was solid!
on the surface, plan seemed good but i wish people outside of the citadel were given more to do, even just some miscellaneous objectives would of been nice - felt like a lot of waiting around, confusion, s2k and mixed signals. BUT it is still nice to see a return to form with the ups and downs over last couple months

rob

Nebulae
i think i would've enjoyed it more if i went with the citadel team, it was a bit chaotic outside with the constant S2King and generally just running around like a headless chicken most of the time wondering what's going on

flaws aside, i enjoyed some parts of it, and i'm looking forward to seeing what's next :)

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
Code:
C39:RL.DEFENDER-3 radios on cmd: "<:: What are the odds of biotics teleporting in? They did it in the past. ::>"
C39:RL.DEFENDER-3 radios on cmd: "<:: Is there anything upstairs that they could target? ::>"
S17:ORD-2.DAGGER-3 radios on cmd: "<:: The Admin Office is of incredibly high importance. ::>"
S17:ORD-2.DAGGER-3 radios on cmd: "<:: Though it has its own defence mechanisms. ::>"
Sad.

Tried to foresee every single possibility. Had teams on the catwalks, had ground patrols, had mines and turrets deployed, had check-ups every ten minutes on the underground entrances. I foresaw teleporting in and was assured it would be ineffective. It happened regardless, and when Civil Protection tried to counteract it, we were met with an impenetrable obstacle of a gap that an event EOW passed using observer just to be met with a propblock (we then went back to the streets as it was a waste of time).
Most of the Combine had absolutely zero influence on the outcome, despite handling the street fight very well (fighting vorts in first person fucking sucks), to the point where the event team had to employ a gunship deus ex machina to get us out of the streets.

Please don't advertise events as not having a predetermined outcome if it's gonna look like this. I feel guilty for advertising the event as such to the faction.

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
The three words I can describe this event with are: boring, confusing, and disappointing.

From event EOWs who are undeserving of the whitelist with how they behave, to deus ex machinas and a false sense of hope provided by the facade of impact the Civil Protection faction could exert.

In all honesty, the event was one of the worst I've played in my time on Half-Life 2 RP, and I played a fair share of semi-serious servers. I just gave up on trying to take it seriously halfway through. It was boring, with no space for improvisation from the event runners. A rigid structure has no place in a setting where choice seemingly matters.

Here's the one and only clip I took, and it still baffles me how immersion-breaking the entire situation was.

The lack of communication between event runners and Civil Protection players caused much confusion. Throughout most of the event, we were in the dark, running off orders we weren't even sure were right, and the Rank-Leaders were not told what to do, or where to go.
Then, when an attempt was made to turn the tides, yearning for the semblance of impact, the garrison was essentially cock-blocked with suddenly blown-up elevators and platforms.

However, the biggest disappointment was the event EOWs who seem to have never touched a Transhuman whitelist in their lives. I'd rather the actual Transhuman players were given a chance at fulfilling the roles like it was done in the past.
S17:EOW-3.SUNDOWN-6 yells "<:: This FUCKING FENCE. ::>"
S17:EOW-3.SUNDOWN-6 blows the fences away.

A rough timeline of how the event looked to me up to the point where I lost hope;
- An event character noclips to an area normally not accessible due to the rubble blockades (Plaza from RDC alley) and shoots out the cameras.
- Combine posts up, and posts up good.
- Nothing happens for a long time, hold position rp.
- APC magically stalls and the assault finally begins.
- An event Rank-Leader shows up and screams on the radio about a bunch of bullshit, an OTA team (with an Elite) kills him and captures some rebel.
- The rebel is brought into the Nexus.
- Suddenly, the grub I didn't even know we were protecting dies.
- Rebels take over the upper nexus.
- We go to take it back, access is blocked.
- An Elite jumps over the hole with noclip.

Despite all the negativity in my post, I enjoyed the last segment when the gunship appeared.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
my comment is that it only takes 1 player (or group of players) to do something the event coordinates utterly didnt plan for for the event to go completely off rails and suddenly seem like a disjointed incoherent mess

im not saying thats what happened here, but a hl2rp event isn't like D&D where the person running it can on-the-fly make adjustments to the plot at a moment's notice

Nebulae
T'was feeling as if the staff wanted to throw everything at the combine to make us lose because it was determined for rebel victory. Aside from the actual roleplay aspect it just felt as if the entire shebang was laced with the staff team psycologically nudging us harder and harder to leave or get slaughtered. Like god damn whats the point of the fight if we're PREDICTED to lose.

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
T'was feeling as if the staff wanted to throw everything at the combine to make us lose because it was determined for rebel victory. Aside from the actual roleplay aspect it just felt as if the entire shebang was laced with the staff team psycologically nudging us harder and harder to leave or get slaughtered. Like god damn whats the point of the fight if we're PREDICTED to lose.
I can't speak too much however

Everything thrown at cops came

after
the finale was decided.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Like god damn whats the point of the fight if we're PREDICTED to lose.

the drama and story progression of it. if "the combine win" would be a thematically shit outcome, then no, the combine shouldn't win, regardless of how well they play

predetermined events are not necessarily bad

the issue was moreso that the combine players were so efficient and cohesive that it was hard to make them lose in a believable manner

are we gonna say Halo Reach's ending sucks because you're predetermined to die regardless of how well you fight?

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
I can't speak too much however

Everything thrown at cops came

after
the finale was decided.
well that makes things even worse because it means cops might as well not have flagged up at all
if "the combine win" would be a thematically shit outcome, then no, the combine shouldn't win
The event was advertised as not having a predetermined outcome, though, and then it turned out that the players participating had no agency.
image.png

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
The event was advertised as not having a predetermined outcome, though, and then it turned out that the players participating had no agency.

that i will admit is wank

flowerbroth

Quark
Nebulae
well that makes things even worse because it means cops might as well not have flagged up at all

image.png
Ok the event was not predetermined. The choice literally came down to a singular combine player’s choice & he made the pick that we saw lol.

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
Ok the event was not predetermined. The choice literally came down to a singular combine player’s choice & he made the pick that we saw lol.
so, it was predetermined, the general playerbase has 0 impact in that case

might have left that choice to a paid actor (event character), not much would change

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

also wank

no one man should have all that power within an event

everyone else may as well have been spectators