Pokemon Sword & Shield [Gen 8]

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Pretty big update this time, for the few of you who check this!
  • 18 gyms confirmed (one for each type), which are "minor" or "major" depend on the version you play. Its implied in-verse that the Gyms rotate each year for which are which.
  • They'll have ways to make your in-game team competitive via changing natures and stuff so you can keep them with you rather than boxing them to breed better 'mons (though you can do this too).
  • Shared EXP for teams but it scales depending on level like in S/M. So you can (and probably may) need to grind a bit but the game is built around it.
There's also a load of stuff they revealed that is too minor to mention.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Livestream has been going on for about nine-and-a-half hours as I write this. Quite a lot has happened but nothing huge has been revealed other than the very firm possibility of Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash (or even a pre-evo for it) and them having shown Impidimp fully, which was only previously in the demo from E3.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
So a bunch of Pokemon have apparently been leaked by someone who has the game early!

9cb86ebffe919dbcc1118a92dfda24fb.jpg

Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
yeah i know
just looking at this batch makes me a little wary though

(as in, the design route they're taking)
Yeah I get you.

Honestly people have kinda been wary of the designs since Gen 5. I'm personally a fan of a lot of them though? I mean even then there's fantastic designs already like Wooloo, Alcremie, Yamper, Corviknight, etc.

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
IGN review is in, look at that like to dislike ratio

Favorite quote:
" I'd still like better cutscenes, companion pokemon, a compete pokedex and a more visually interesting wild area, but these are all just nitpicks that aren't very effective when the rest of the game is a joy to play"

It's a 9.3

idk man I'm not the biggest pokemon fan but it feels like actual fans are getting screwed REALLY hard, they removed a ton of shit, graphics looks so outdated and it's honestly a disappointment to see. With pokemon cut and moves cut, apparently gigamax the new "feature" can only be used in certain situations unlike the previous features and in general, it's a major disappointment for a mainline Pokemon game coming to their first powerful console in years.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
IGN review is in, look at that like to dislike ratio

Favorite quote:

It's a 9.3

idk man I'm not the biggest pokemon fan but it feels like actual fans are getting screwed REALLY hard, they removed a ton of shit, graphics looks so outdated and it's honestly a disappointment to see. With pokemon cut and moves cut, apparently gigamax the new "feature" can only be used in certain situations unlike the previous features and in general, it's a major disappointment for a mainline Pokemon game coming to their first powerful console in years.

As a fan since '99-ish, the issue is a little bigger than that but equally totally not.

GF's PR after the E3 announcement of the Dex Cut was non-existent. They started blaming things that drew people's attention to issues that may be overlooked or excused like the graphics not being 'on par' with other Switch titles (but still a huge step up from the other games), etc. Really all of this snowballed because of Gamefreak not knowing how to handle trying this a second time like they did with Gen 5. Some of it (the Gigantimaxing stuff) makes sense in-story terms and it can still be used online, so eh. X/Y's Mega Evolutions broke the difficulty scale massively.

In terms of quality of life improvements, the games are fantastic. They've massively streamlined competitive play. A lot of the cut moves are legitimately stuff nobody used (bubble for example) and/or were substituted for replacement moves. This is all stuff that even the people who hate the games and feel let down have agreed are great, which is a good step.

I admit, they're not a huge massive leap up given the console gap but even the more average reviews (6-7) have all agreed the games are fun and charming and very much good games, just not the technical leap they expected. Which I agree with. I love Galar, I love the new Pokemon, but from a technical standpoint... not so much.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Long time no see!

So, there's been the announcement of two huge expansions, the Isle of Armour and the Crown Tundra (both of which I think are islands/regions off-map but still in Galar) which are their own adventures with brand new Pokemon, new Galarian forms, etc. It's basically replacing the idea of, say, "Emerald" for Ruby/Sapphire.

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Long time no see!

So, there's been the announcement of two huge expansions, the Isle of Armour and the Crown Tundra (both of which I think are islands/regions off-map but still in Galar) which are their own adventures with brand new Pokemon, new Galarian forms, etc. It's basically replacing the idea of, say, "Emerald" for Ruby/Sapphire.

I don’t know, Is this the first time pokm has done expansion passes? But I mean gamefreak really is asking a lot, releasing half roster of pokemon with lots of feature missing/removed and then having the courage to give an expansion pass which ofc is $30 is a lot, especially considering the outrage before.

It does also make me think that this was supposed to be in the game considering the game has released recently. But I’m just speculating with this one so take it with a grain of salt.

either way I don’t pay for switch games so I’ll try it out

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I don’t know, Is this the first time pokm has done expansion passes? But I mean gamefreak really is asking a lot, releasing half roster of pokemon with lots of feature missing/removed and then having the courage to give an expansion pass which ofc is $30 is a lot, especially considering the outrage before.

It does also make me think that this was supposed to be in the game considering the game has released recently. But I’m just speculating with this one so take it with a grain of salt.
It's two full expansions, to be fair - and it's replacing the '3rd game' system they've done since Gen 1.

Effectively this is cheaper than buying all games in any given prior generatin. They've also said most of the footage is WIP so it's more likely this is content they would have added if not for the development schedule and/or put in the third game anyway.