Serious RDR2/GTA/ARMA/OTHER Server Poll & Dicussion

What server would you like to see? (Select all that apply)

• GTA Text-Based RP

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • RDR2 Text-Based RP

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Arma 3 PVP/PVE (WW3 RP?) Server

Votes: 39 49.4%
  • GTA or RDR2 Voice RP Server

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • GMOD Text-Based RP Server

Votes: 25 31.6%
  • Sandbox Server (If it comes out this year)

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other (Put below)

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Also if nothing else, Conna has outright stated for years he plans to develop a gamemode to corner the market - and while this was before he got hired I somehow don't see him passing up the chance to do it anyway.

And given how spiteful and difficult he's been to literally anything close to competition (he outright tried to DMCA Neb down until we went to Helix) I couldn't be fucked with it again either.

Deleted member 28

What a pathetic string of words
Nebulae
Facepunch definitely didn't have their forum database breached and leaked a few years ago and didn't inform anyone or anything...
A data breach on a forum is on a different scale than selling a software that has a backdoor in it
Alternatively it's the end of it, especially considering the only 2 people involved in the development of HL2 RP in the last 10 years won't be continuing it in sandbox.
I'm sure plenty of developers will be happy to continue the gamemode themselves
Giving up unreal in favour of source 2 for a start

what a actual blunder
So you're saying he should have just denied valve's offer of giving him source 2 to work with

Deleted member 28

Nebulae
I'm saying unreal engine is a vastly superior engine to Source 2
Considering how well source 1 has worked with garry's mod I don't see why source 2 is such a mistake. I highly doubt he just made the blind decision to switch to source 2 anyhow, and it seems like it's worked very well for him so far

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
we've barely seen source 2 man
I don't know why people blindly confide in Valve

They're content to sit on their ass for years and do basically nothing, at least Epic is constantly innovating and updating their engine

and it seems like it's worked very well for him so far
Nothing actually impressive has been shown off.

Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
A data breach on a forum is on a different scale than selling a software that has a backdoor in it
Given the screenshots I've seen of how the man talks in private even as recent as the middle of last year if he doesn't backdoor the source he'll absolutely backdoor whatever gamemode he makes to capitalize on the market when it launches. Its what he did with Clockwork after all, and if you get his unpatched version now it still has it there if you don't know to patch it out.

I'm not a coder but plenty of my (far more knowledgeable) friends are have pointed it out.

Nobody wants to deal with him again at the end of the day, and I don't think anyone wants to deal with another 10+ years of HL2RP either.

he did the same thing to playermeta and the c16 spinoff communities
Exactly.

I don't know why people blindly confide in Valve
I just want HL3 :(

Deleted member 28

Nebulae
Nothing actually impressive has been shown off.
There's nothing actually impressive about garry's mod either. Everything I've seen from the blog posts looks like he's making it far easier for creators and developers to make more powerful gamemodes in easier ways
Given the screenshots I've seen of how the man talks in private even as recent as the middle of last year if he doesn't backdoor the source he'll absolutely backdoor whatever gamemode he makes to capitalize on the market when it launches. Its what he did with Clockwork after all, and if you get his unpatched version now it still has it there if you don't know to patch it out.

I'm not a coder but plenty of my (far more knowledgeable) friends are have pointed it out.

Nobody wants to deal with him again at the end of the day, and I don't think anyone wants to deal with another 10+ years of HL2RP either.
And if it's discovered that he's backdoored the game I have full faith that he'll be fired and won't be allowed to work there again. It isn't like he's the only developer for HL2RP in existence either lol

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
It isn't like he's the only developer for HL2RP in existence either lol
Of course not but it is incredibly telling CW has been the biggest gamemode in our little niche (besides Helix I guess?) for over a decade now.

No reason he won't do it again, y'know? He's said he wants to, because its easy money.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
The Valve suck-off continues, nothing new there.

If you say “we’ve barely seen source 2” then.. exactly? Even Valve have barely made games with it, that’s why it’s a bad decision imo.

Really no point in me going into detail about Sandbox because the cult like following of Valve and everything (barely anything) they do isn’t going to change. The company that brought micro transactions to the world are somehow one of the most praised.
[doublepost=1615753300][/doublepost]
I'm sure plenty of developers will be happy to continue the gamemode themselves
That’s why basically only 2 people has done anything for the development of the HL2 RP gamemode for years, yeah?
[doublepost=1615753542][/doublepost]I’m not basing my judgement for Sandbox for a single employee of facepunch, I’ve been in-the-know about the game since 2014 and I decided long ago that I wouldn’t be continuing HL2 RP for it.

It’s okay to not follow companies like a cult guys.

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
i still think the biggest barrier for sandbox is whether it can run on as wide a variety of systems as gmod can on source, i dont think many people still on laptops/old pc's are gonna want to move to it

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
idk man, isn't really a cult following
source 2 is just the next improvement and it looks good. I'd imagine if the SDK releases we'd see little games pop up again.

gmod was built on source 1 and the sdk games that came after it. it's no surprise that sandbox will probably end up doing the same.

besides if this is hl2 rp on sandbox, it looks epic

Deleted member 28

Nebulae
Really no point in me going into detail about Sandbox because the cult like following of Valve and everything (barely anything) they do isn’t going to change. The company that brought micro transactions to the world are somehow one of the most praised.
I’m not basing my judgement for Sandbox for a single employee of facepunch, I’ve been in-the-know about the game since 2014 and I decided long ago that I wouldn’t be continuing HL2 RP for it.
I'd love to know what's so bad about it then

The company that brought micro transactions to the world are somehow one of the most praised.
Oh come on, Valve certainly weren't the first to use lootboxes and they certainly weren't the first to use microtransactions in their games. If people want to spend their money on useless cosmetics let them, their microtransactions don't impact their games in any way

That’s why basically only 2 people has done anything for the development of the HL2 RP gamemode for years, yeah?
Could possibly be due to the fact that Garry's Mod is built on a dying game, itself which is built on a dead engine. Hard to imagine that there won't be renewed interest in the gamemode especially if Valve releases another Half-Life game in the near future

Of course not but it is incredibly telling CW has been the biggest gamemode in our little niche (besides Helix I guess?) for over a decade now.

No reason he won't do it again, y'know? He's said he wants to, because its easy money.
Here's to seeing more noble efforts at making a HL2RP gamemode in sandbox then

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
source 2 is just the next improvement and it looks good. I'd imagine if the SDK releases we'd see little games pop up again.

gmod was built on source 1 and the sdk games that came after it. it's no surprise that sandbox will probably end up doing the same.

looks like an abandoned early access hl2 mod

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

Is it just me or does the lighting look really odd in places?

Not to say Source 2 isn't pretty though.

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae

uh yeah?

it's a little janky. it was made by one guy who imported a few models and did his best.

either way it just proves what one guy can do on what they have right now. i'd imagine sandbox will bring new tools and be more professional.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae

the maps look like they were ripped straight from source 1 and given a quick HL:Alyx asset / texture swap

doubt they altered the lighting much

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
uh yeah?

it's a little janky. it was made by one guy who imported a few models and did his best.

either way it just proves what one guy can do on what they have right now. i'd imagine sandbox will bring new tools and be more professional.
Oh no that was just my initial impression. Its still super impressive for what it is, for sure.