Resolved Re-add the previous iteration‘s archive 2

ElectricTaco

Electron
Nebulae
Iirc Alex said before (and its mostly his decision, but the other HS agreed):

1) He genuinely doesn't trust people not to go archive-digging to drag shit up on others, especially those waiting in the wings who no longer play/like Neb and would throw it around Discord or whatever.

2) The archives represent a drastically different time in most cases and anyone poking their heads in who goes digging is probably going to get a negative impression. He doesn't want that, with Neb moving into a new era and away from Gmod.

Regardless of if I agree or disagree, some people in this thread have gone about changing his mind in the most ass-backwards way possible so its probably not gonna happen.
Isn't the whole purpose of archives to serve as a look into the past? They're meant to be a repository of the past for better or worse. I don't really understand the second reason at all. In regards to the first reason, I'm fairly certain all the vile, hair-raising threads, comments, and so on would have been removed by the mods, wouldn't they? I think the worst thing would be some cringy stuff, so to say and if that's the core of HS reasoning, I find it rather amusing.

Reactions: List

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I'm fairly certain all the vile, hair-raising threads, comments, and so on would have been removed by the mods, wouldn't they?

You misread the first reason, the issue is not the vile stuff that was there, but what vile shit people may do with whatever they find there

ElectricTaco

Electron
Nebulae
You misread the first reason, the issue is not the vile stuff that was there, but what vile shit people may do with whatever they find there
What do you mean by that? My mind is blank in that regard so I need someone to guide me through.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
What do you mean by that? My mind is blank in that regard so I need someone to guide me through.

What Rabid meant is not that some may go into the archives and find people who were mean and not nice in the past

What he means is mean people may go into the archives to pull cringe/shameful/whatever stuff from there to harass whoever did it

ElectricTaco

Electron
Nebulae
What Rabid meant is not that some may go into the archives and find people who were mean and not nice in the past

What he means is mean people may go into the archives to pull cringe/shameful/whatever stuff from there to harass whoever did it
I understand the point, however, I find a few issues with it.
First and foremost and fairly easy to simply block such people and report them for their behavior no matter the platform. Second of all what are the chances of people doing nefarious stuff with the archive compared to people who will use it for normal purposes without harassing them? I'm afraid it might deny a vast majority of people access to the archives in fear of a handful at best.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I understand the point, however, I find a few issues with it.
First and foremost and fairly easy to simply block such people and report them for their behavior no matter the platform. Second of all what are the chances of people doing nefarious stuff with the archive compared to people who will use it for normal purposes without harassing them? I'm afraid it might deny a vast majority of people access to the archives in fear of a handful at best.

I'm not saying I'd rather keep it closed, much like Rabid I'm only relaying what has been said a billion times over in similar threads

rob

Nebulae

While I understand the reasoning behind it, I still don't think it should be withheld from us, especially considering the memories it holds

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
While I understand the reasoning behind it, I still don't think it should be withheld from us, especially considering the memories it holds

Idk dude, I'd reckon things could be different if this opinion had been expressed like this from the get-go, but you get people who base their whole personality around being cunts to others and nothing else and everything crumbles, cause those people are literally the prime example that supports the idea of the archive remaining closed being reasonable. If someone gets this offensive and hurtful over a petty argument how can they be trusted with all of that access to people's past stuff?

ElectricTaco

Electron
Nebulae
I'm not saying I'd rather keep it closed, much like Rabid I'm only relaying what has been said a billion times over in similar threads
That isn't my reasoning btw, I'm literally just relaying what was said before.
Are you some sort of hive-mind? I'm well aware you're just saying what was said, I just want to get to the bottom of it, is all.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
Are you some sort of hive-mind? I'm well aware you're just saying what was said, I just want to get to the bottom of it, is all.

No it's just what we're doing is REALLY that simple, there's no big depth to it: These threads have existed, people have acted in the same way every time, and the same response has been given every single time.

Rabid and I just happen to have the capacity to memorize stuff.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
There is nothing to "get to the bottom of"

This is how things have always been, all of our previous projects were also archived. FTRP, WW3 and it's various iterations, Experiment and so on. Feel free to think what you want of the matter or think that HL2RP should be an exception but you can't really deny this is how we've always handled the archiving of our past projects

ElectricTaco

Electron
Nebulae

This is how things have always been, all of our previous projects were also archived. FTRP, WW3 and it's various iterations, Experiment and so on. Feel free to think what you want of the matter or think that HL2RP should be an exception but you can't really deny this is how we've always handled the archiving of our past projects
That's the problem. I can't read back all the previous stuff because it's all archived.

ElectricTaco

Electron
Nebulae

Weren't these archives available to everyone, however? I don't remember

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I think people just didn't care about the other archives, like WW3 or Experiment, so it didn't really occur to them that HL2 would one day go the same way.