Realism in gaming

(Read my rant first pls) How much realism would you like in video games?

• No permadeath, character flashes, no re-spawn required, no real consequences.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • No permadeath, re-spawn required, possible consequences from items lost.

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Permadeath for that character, no respawn for character, consequences for items lost.

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • Complete permadeath. No respawns at all. No new matches.

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
90% are assholes in DayZ.

Some guy did a test where he'd approach newspawns and give them an unloaded magnum.

Every time, they raised the gun at him, fired, heard the click of no ammo, immediately ran.

Reactions: List

Akula

Sangheili Bias
Nebulae
90% are assholes in DayZ.

Some guy did a test where he'd approach newspawns and give them an unloaded magnum.

Every time, they raised the gun at him, fired, heard the click of no ammo, immediately ran.

nothin personnell kid

Public DayZ is the environment where you have to do those sorts of things to survive. There's plenty of folk who would go "hey want a gun" and just cap your sorry arse when you turned up so I don't blame the freshies

Nya

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
E4F3D6C06C91DACFBB7EE1C90E9227F6E38E53AB

When the DayZ squad is on point.

@Wolfaye

famoussexx

String
Nebulae
It depends, I'm more of a serious player. If you mean all games should be limited that's just stupid. They have games with realism as its own genre.

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
Now that it's been revived.

I love how I am the only one who took the top option.
I like my arcade-y games :(

Reactions: List

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
Hey, realism is not for everyone. That's why it has its own genre.
Honestly, for me it's either of the extreme options.
I hate when games try to go realistic, but don't go all the way. (One of the reasons I like RP servers where PK's are heavy)
I hate when games try to be arcade-y yet still try to appeal to the people who enjoy a bit of realism.

I just want either completely arcade stuff, or super-realistic and immersive stuff.

Mancom37

Atom
Nebulae
Normally if we talking about historical games I prefer realism,but if we are going with your average fps/survival game (unless the devs want to appeal to the immersion) I will take gameplay.

Kvatch

Neutrino
Nebulae
what if there was a game, you get one life. No load-out menus, no re-spawns. You get one shot at that game. When you die, you're done.

This is really interesting because if you were to compare real life to games. In real life, if you were handed a weapon and were told to run out and shoot people that opposed you, and had no choice but to fight, you'd obviously be hesitant because you have one chance at life. You would take all the precautions, make sure the doctor is ready and on stand-by, and not just charge at the enemy. To be honest, it should be more like this in video games. I'm not saying that you should 100% lose the ability to play the game once you die, but you should at least have some sort of consequence that will mark you to such an amplitude that you are willing to take the above precautions. Yeah, people would be too scared to do stuff but that's what makes the game interesting.

Take Counter-Strike for example. You don't really worry too much about dying if you haven't bought anything that could affect the economic state of your team (those who don't play might not understand this part), but when you buy an auto-sniper, you're a little more hesitant to peek down mid-doors because you don't want to die and lose your $5,000 auto-sniper. People won't take risks if there's something at stake. Let's take the example a bit closer to home; if you were told as a Civil Protection on nebulous that you would lose your whitelist when you died and would have to re-apply, you would obviously be super scared of dying because you don't wanna lose that 2,000-word application whitelist that you spent your weekend writing.

TLDR - people don't wanna take unnecessary risks if there's something at stake. There's a clear positive correlation between the consequence and risk taken.

Saggy

Electron
Nebulae
I love games that work around death but still make 'losing' matter, like in Mount and Blade where if you 'die' in a battle, you are unconscious and are taken prisoner until your freedom is bought or you escape. Might be better if death was possible, say you can get executed if you get captured by someone extremely powerful who you have -all the rep with them. Failing matters, but you don't loose everything.

Some mods for fallout and skyrim do similar things, where instead of dying you wait for the battle to finish and see what happens next.

In online games that's hard to capture, though, so permadeath for that character can sometimes work better. But it always depends on the game, don't wanna have to restart a game just cause I died.

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
realism and goofyness can work together well

ss13 with its clown, weird colonization attempts, aliens from outer space trying to probe your butt, and the crew generally trying to both kill and destroy each other and the station makes the game great

the engine is old, the controls are meh, and the game is very in depth so its not for everyone as you have to scroll through the wiki 90% of the time to understand what your doing until you have it down to muscle memory