Realism in gaming

(Read my rant first pls) How much realism would you like in video games?

• No permadeath, character flashes, no re-spawn required, no real consequences.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • No permadeath, re-spawn required, possible consequences from items lost.

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Permadeath for that character, no respawn for character, consequences for items lost.

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • Complete permadeath. No respawns at all. No new matches.

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

Cartoonjunkies

The Forbidden One
Premium Member
Nebulae
Realistic games are something that seems to be on a very big popularity wave at this time. People like realistic survival and war games. Rust, DayZ, Arma, Squad, just to name a few. But one thing I've been wondering is, how much realism is too much? And I don't mean this as in small things such as weapon balancing and things like this, even though this can sometimes be a hotly debated topic for some games.

What I'm talking about when I say this is when the player is injured or dies in a video game. We have things such as spawn timers now, and some games even have very realistic medical systems. For instance, in DayZ, getting shot once can mean you can get a broken bone, blood loss, infection, and other sorts of nasty stuff. But how much realism do we really like?

Going back to the weapon things, in Arma, it is very easy to be killed by a gun. Generally without body armor, you're gonna go down in one shot depending on the weapon. However, if you have body armor, it can take up to two to three shots to kill someone. This is partially realistic, but what happens when someone is shot is very complex to know whether they will be killed quickly or have time to be saved.

However, the real reason I'm writing this is what happens when a player is killed in the game. There are innumerable ways that different games deal with death. In a lot of kids games, your character simply flashes for a moment and then pops back with no real consequences. Makes sense, they're just kids. In most FPS games, you have a spawn timer and a menu that allows you to change your load out before you are spawned back in. But, some games are doing something different. In some of the modes on the game War Thunder, such as Realistic Aircraft battles, once your aircraft is destroyed, you're done. This is also partially true for the other modes, where the use a number of lives, or spawn points earned by getting kills and staying alive.

But something curious is, what if there was a game, you get one life. No load out menus, no re-spawns. You get one shot at that game. When you die, you're done. You never get to play again. How would people treat the game? Would people be scared to play just because they don't want to die once and lose their one chance. This is the biggest separation between games and reality. In games, you get other chances. Sure I mentioned in War Thunder you get one life in the realistic air battles. But nothings stopping you from just going into another match.

So, you have to ask yourself, at some point or another, how much realism do you want in a video game?

Reactions: List

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
It depends really, sometimes I enjoy a good Doom-style game where you just run aroind and shoot shit with not much care in the world.

But other times I like things like Arma and more serious stuff.

Depends on my mood really.

E: I'm never really one for the stuff in the middle though

NightVeil

Bringer of Sales
Nebulae
I mean, it not only depends on personal preference, but also game balance as well. What I mean is if you have a game where it is REALLY easy to die, then having perma-death would not be a good thing. People would get pissed off and not play it. On the flip side, you can't make it too hard to die. That kills realism. You have to find a good balance.

As for the other things, consequences can work out well if your trying to make the player feel defeat. Re-spawns just depend on the game.

Cartoonjunkies

The Forbidden One
Premium Member
Nebulae
ArmA and realism is my jam, but permadeath is dumb.
That's pretty much how I am. It just kinda ruins it if you feel like you lost everything you had been working for.

Angel

she/her/they nonbinary transfem
Nebulae
i just want to have fun playing vidya game

scrubmcnoob

Human Resource
Nebulae
Immersion>Realism
I love video games that are immersive, if I wanted pure realism, I wouldn't be playing a vidya game.
I see 'Perma Death' in a round as just a game mechanic, not anywhere near realism.

And again, sometimes I like respawn, some times I don't.
Sometimes I like alternative respawns such as what SS13 employs during rounds.

Grau

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
insurgency hits the hammer on the nail

Cartoonjunkies

The Forbidden One
Premium Member
Nebulae
Immersion>Realism
I love video games that are immersive, if I wanted pure realism, I wouldn't be playing a vidya game.
I see 'Perma Death' in a round as just a game mechanic, not anywhere near realism.

And again, sometimes I like respawn, some times I don't.
Sometimes I like alternative respawns such as what SS13 employs during rounds.

I agree with that completely, but realism can also help attain some immersion into a game.

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
Perma death is fun if you have lots of time to kill and get attached to your game.

Two examples of games that do this well are:

SS13

Dwarf Fortress

Rounds in SS13 last an hour (casual) or hour(s) (serious RP [not my cup of tea]). When you die, you turn into a spectating ghost that can watch other players. If you backed up your DNA, you get a sort of "NLR" hence if you prepare well and the station isn't going to shit you can get cloned. However, if you aren't cloned, nor pod people'd, or get admin shenanigan'd, you are dead for the rest of the match. Sometimes its the fault of the crew members being lazy, sometimes its nuke ops traitor ling admin round where all power is down so there is no way you are getting revived.

Dwarf Fortress is a pure perma death game if you don't save scum. Once all your dwarfs are dead / far gone, you lose. You spend a lot of time building up your fort, getting them food, setting up defences, creating traps, creating beauty to keep them happy, drafting a military to keep you safe, etc etc. All that time down the gudder just from one of your nobles going mad and ordering the poisoning of all the food, or some other instance.

This realism, however, creates an interesting tension. It makes you feel attached to the game because you know that there is no respawn button; what you have is what you will get. If you spend the time to build it up, you know that you will have to defend it, because there is no restart.

I think that is the appeal of realism games; the fact that the time you put into the game is rewarded. Killing someone or eliminating something gives the other person a penalty instead of just respawning them or rebuilding something for them instantly. There are /real/ consequences to your actions and you have to think of them before someone or something in the game springs it on you.

Peter Green

Good People, Good Times
Nebulae
nice, will lose entire playerbase after day 1
Literally gonna walk out of spawn then get headshot by some dude wearing a bombsuit holding a minigun who has been playing since day one non stop.

Angel

she/her/they nonbinary transfem
Nebulae
I love realism but I wouldn't spend money on a game I can play once
especially not if I need to rely on others and it has dayz like mechanics where there will SURELY be a faggot in some building with a sniper shooting people.

Mendel

Aboriginal Indigenous American
Nebulae

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

Wanted to show you guys this game, idk if it's released, in development or canceled. If you wanna find out feel free to google.

http://www.pcgamer.com/one-life-is-a-multiplayer-fps-that-locks-you-out-forever-when-you-die/

What?

To be fair, it could work IF the players weren't all cunts. Which they are.

No one is gonna enslave injured dudes, just shoot, loot and scoot. Same as DayZ, but even more cunty because now you get to steal their money's worth.

This game is going to make absolutely no money because 100% of people will die at least once to a thing they were trying to figure out, or a dodgy grenade, or an unlucky fall. And then everyone refunds the game after 2 hours.

Cartoonjunkies

The Forbidden One
Premium Member
Nebulae

Wanted to show you guys this game, idk if it's released, in development or canceled. If you wanna find out feel free to google.

http://www.pcgamer.com/one-life-is-a-multiplayer-fps-that-locks-you-out-forever-when-you-die/

"Going to give the steam refund policy a good workout." That's a bit of an understatement. Of course, there are ways around it. I wonder how it treats family share. You could just play the game on different accounts. But yeah, that's one of the things on the higher end of the "You're screwed if you die." type things.

Chicken

Nihilanth
B A N N E D
Nebulae

I saw this trailer around a year ago, and it is never going to make it into development. Just look at the feedback, if they seriously think they are still gonna make them then they are nuts.

The game is cool and interesting on paper, but will NEVER work in practice.