Serious Resident Evil General

Rees

Proton
Nebulae
resident evil in general

i havent had the patience to bother with them as they look so god damn uncomfortable to play in the way the game mechanics work

imo jumping back playing the original games might be a little off putting if you are not interested in the series at all, tbh why the remake is a perfect opportunity to play as a new player. But imo res 4 are a must they kind of pioneered the modern third person shooter genre of games and inspired other great games like Dead space

Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
so can anyone actually tell me what the deal is with resident evil

it looks like a really clunky and uncomfortable playing experience

is it really just shilled because its a cult classic or does it have genuine value to itself outside of "muh gore and spook" that was introduced in biohazard
I think that depends on whether or not you view it as a good game and as having massive impact on two genres of gaming or just the latter.

Resident Evil set the bar for Survival Horror games and when RE4 came out and swapped it to over the shoulder/third person, which pretty much kick-started that entire thing too and inspired stuff like Dead Space, Gears of War, etc.

The early games are 'handicapped' by fixed camera angles and tank controls but if you don't mind either of those they're great games and dirt cheap now. They released the remastered trio they did in the early 2000's (RE0, REmake 1, RE4) a few years ago too.

The newest remake steps away from the fixed camera stuff and goes with an RE4 style over-the-shoulder, just without the tank controls. It looks fantastic, especially given the limitations of the 1998 original RE2. You'd probably enjoy the latter half of the series and the new remake out next week if you don't like Tank controls.

Dr.Towers

Nucleus
Nebulae
resident evil in general

i havent had the patience to bother with them as they look so god damn uncomfortable to play in the way the game mechanics work

The games have changed so much gameplay over the years that may very well be different series

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
The games have changed so much gameplay over the years that may very well be different series
This.

I may not be a fan of RE4/5/6 (I enjoyed 5 at the time but I'm far more a fan of the original games/REmake) but I can respect what Four did for the series and gaming as a whole and why so many people love it. Then you have the original Remake which stands as probably the most atmospheric game so far in the series, then the originals - there's a lot of games you can pick from the series to see if you like it.

Not counting the spinoffs and stuff, even.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Update w/some minor leaked spoilers that clarify some stuff, don't read if you don't wanna get spoiled. Also please tag replies in spoilers if its related.

So there isn't an A/B scenario this time around - but who you pick does change the story slightly at the start (ie; who enters the RPD from which direction and the ending in some capacity) but only the second person you pick gets to fight the final boss, as in the original. This is why the leaks from the demo showed two identical monitor images/mirrored some conversations with Marvin which worried people as to if they'd just swap the chars out with the same basic campaign.

On top of this it makes sense as to why one of the trophies/achievements is "unlock the true ending" - because if its anything like the original and what RE6 made canon then playing Claire first then Leon will be the actual canonical path the characters take. The other way around is a slightly altered story, but not heavily unlike the original).

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
about to play the demo

first re experience

what am i in for
Honestly the Demo is a fairly 'unique' take on the series. All I can tell you is that you'll be experiencing a lot of the mechanics that are unique to this remake. But-- RE in general is a low of low-end item searching, puzzle searching, etc.

Ammo conservation is important. Also this has the best gore in the series.

Dr.Towers

Nucleus
Nebulae
about to play the demo

first re experience

what am i in for

Ignore puzzles, they take too long and doesn't lead to anything in the demo, give a look at the clock if you're on console or keep an eye on achievements if you're on steam and you should be able to finish the game in time. In general this demo has very little of re except the setting and atmosphere, it's more like a generic third person shooter survival horror like Dead Space.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
big chungus the vending machine menace
tfw not even a radical skin disease and the destruction of your higher functions stops you from wanting that fucking candy bar

ABSOLUTE unit

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Someone on GameFAQ's got their copy early and did a 'speedrun' of Claire's campaign first. He missed some of the weapons and it took him about five and a half hours to complete - but he also posted a picture of an enemy that the development team said they redesigned because they felt the one in the original was almost too 'cute', the IVY Plants in the lab.

I'd definitely say this fixes that. It reminds me a lot of the enemies from that one scenario in Outbreak.

aca95e08dfadc1ccd546de37d99cb794.png

jarodine

Nucleus
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I ain't gonna lie bro the game looks sick... but bro the games like 49.99 and that's for a 5 hour experience

Solitaire

Neutrino
Nebulae
Yeah I'm keen on RE2 Remake, I came into the series at 4 because I was too young for the first three. Had a blast, even enjoyed 5 and 6 for their moments. Keen to relive the classics but heh, haven't aged well, so I'm keen on the remake bringing it into the modern mechanics.