rp_industrial17_v1 Appreciation thread (10th Anniversary)

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I’m afraid I am beyond forgiveness.

IMG_8807.png
What happened to you to get to this point?

Reactions: List

Callum

Neutrino
Nebulae

For those curious, the song is called Beautiful Creature by Namtran9. A couple of his other tracks are found in the map on radios scattered about. Here's some links to his music.

Trailer track

This one makes me nostalgic, probably the first song I think of with HL2RP. It's like 'Sweden' from Minecraft for me.

A nice detail is that the thumbnail for this one is a photo taken exactly where the radio that plays the track spawns. Unfortunately Namtran9 hasn't done many other tracks with a similar vibe.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
It had the perfect layout I think. From where you start, there is both a linear progression from most combine controlled to least, while at the same time always having a route back where you came from other than your original path, which made it feel a lot less linear than it was. The loop of the city combined with that progression really just made the city breathe.
the worst part was the side-alley if u take a right when u exit the trainstation, it doesnt need to be there and disrupts an otherwise pretty good map flow, but i dont agree with this i think it was just something people were very used to

in my opinion, excluding the outlands and willard, city 8 has the best map flow of any map. you have to pass every store and every bit of roleplay to hit the rations, and as long as you're running a ration-farm economy, it means between you and your target at every loop is a heap of people to run past and into, creating a bunch of foot-traffic

Nebulae
in my opinion, excluding the outlands and willard, city 8 has the best map flow of any map. you have to pass every store and every bit of roleplay to hit the rations, and as long as you're running a ration-farm economy, it means between you and your target at every loop is a heap of people to run past and into, creating a bunch of foot-traffic

small-medium sized looping city layouts will always be the best way to encourage character interactions imo. when city 8 was peaking for the last time early 2021 we had something going on around every single corner and it felt absolutely magical, whereas in i17 the peak is just everyone honing into grotto and leaving 90% of the map empty

key

Nebulae
I think the main caveat of i17 is that it is a fairly large map and therefore requires a larger population in order to work well. In the old days when HL2RP was much more popular and you could see the big heavy hitter servers reaching 70~ people a day consistently i17 was ideal as you pretty much could find happenings in every area of the map.

In any case, over the years I've come to appreciate smaller and more dedicated player pops than larger but less enthusiastic ones. Quality over quantity, as they say, so perhaps for that reason City 8 is better when you really take a good hard look at things.

Still, i17 will always have a special place with me. It's the city of my childhood, which may be a somewhat depressing thing to say.

Gabby

Atom
Nebulae
i17 is probably the map I both love and hate the most. It's the rp_Downtown of HL2RP and it has the same issues as a result; However much like Downtown you can't say it's a bad map just because it's overused. It shines in a lot of places and a lot of people got their start in it.

I still miss rp_C18