s&box - Garry's Mod 2 (?)

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
unknown.png

FUCKING
NICE
that top row are the guy's own projects (the one I took the screenshot from)
but it seems someone is actually working on it?

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
Personally I don't think rp will be non-existent on s&box because 'garry hates it.'

I do think it'll take a while for stuff to pop up though. I'd say DarkRP will be first, followed by stuff like Star Wars RP and Military RP, lastly with more serious stuff. Might take a year or so, who knows.

Reactions: List

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
sucks that they killed that gangwars game (and a few other prototypes) just to wrangle devs for this mess

hopefully it might become a gamemode

D

Deleted member 3818

I don't see how you'd even go about stopping rp servers, I imagine you'd have to manually keep track of the rp gamemodes and unlist them from the browser. something I doubt they'd do.

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I don't see how you'd even go about stopping rp servers, I imagine you'd have to manually keep track of the rp gamemodes and unlist them from the browser. something I doubt they'd do.
Tbf, RP servers can create revenue and attract players so I think they're more likely to not go out of their way to accomodate RP servers instead of just outright blocking them, doesnt stop them from being created though

Pollux

Nerd
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
S&box is nothing like gmod at all right now nor do I think they want it to be. It's much more comparable to Roblox where it's based around games/gamemodes rather than communities that host gamemodes. You select a game you want to play and it puts you into a server much like Roblox does. Yeah you could make an RP game (you can't right now as a lot of key things you'd need for one are missing, but they're working on that), that doesn't mean you'll be visible and easy for people to find. This could all change as it is very early on in development and I hope it does, but as it is right now it doesn't look great for RP especially not single-server RP communities on a unique gamemode. The important thing is not to think of it as gmod 2 at all, because that is misleading.

Gungeoneer

Your neighbourly friendly guy.
Nebulae
S&box is nothing like gmod at all right now nor do I think they want it to be. It's much more comparable to Roblox where it's based around games/gamemodes rather than communities that host gamemodes. You select a game you want to play and it puts you into a server much like Roblox does. Yeah you could make an RP game (you can't right now as a lot of key things you'd need for one are missing, but they're working on that), that doesn't mean you'll be visible and easy for people to find. This could all change as it is very early on in development and I hope it does, but as it is right now it doesn't look great for RP especially not single-server RP communities on a unique gamemode. The important thing is not to think of it as gmod 2 at all, because that is misleading.
Yeah, like I had mentioned, many people depict it as a possible successor to Garry's Mod but it doesn't necessarily have to be. Some elements are carried over, like the Physgun, Toolgun, all that jazz - which in terms of gameplay gives people a Garry's Mod-esque feeling, but in terms of legacy it most likely won't come close to Garry's Mod, I whole heartingly agree with that. In its bare essence it will definitely be something else, but whatever it'll turn out to be, I'm extremely hyped about the promises around this game.

Also little off topic side note, there won't be any game mounting involved in s&box so you finally don't have to worry about not having a certain game and being able to see everything properly.

Gungeoneer

Nebulae

Just wanna leave this here. Video came out yesterday. Extremely interesting

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Premium Member
Nebulae
Personally I don't think rp will be non-existent on s&box because 'garry hates it.'

I do think it'll take a while for stuff to pop up though. I'd say DarkRP will be first, followed by stuff like Star Wars RP and Military RP, lastly with more serious stuff. Might take a year or so, who knows.
honestly i think people underestimate just how popular darkrp and darkrp clones are, without them i doubt gmod would still be selling and be as popular as it is still

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Premium Member
Nebulae
yeah, isn't modern gmod like 80% rp? playercount wise?
honestly i wouldnt doubt that lol

i just went on the server browser and added up (out of the first 19 gamemodes) the rp server playercounts and the non rp playercounts, and it came up to
12388 players (rp) vs 2002 players (non-rp)

ofc theres probably fake servers etc so those values are probably not entirely accurate but u get the idea

Gungeoneer

Nebulae
honestly i wouldnt doubt that lol

i just went on the server browser and added up (out of the first 19 gamemodes) the rp server playercounts and the non rp playercounts, and it came up to
12388 players (rp) vs 2002 players (non-rp)

ofc theres probably fake servers etc so those values are probably not entirely accurate but u get the idea
Yeah, that just goes to show that if Garry were too prohibit RP, he'd destroy any hope for it to properly prosper.

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
dcd2d946a45d1e4984a427aa25702dd8.jpg

already got some RP gamemodes sprouting up
9c0872c38290393cf2d06a4b1df84f2b.png

also this which is a bit odd
2d726dda727fa3969ad17840f7f5dba3.png

looking back at a few discord questions, garry said that they were going to put a server browser in but they wanted to wait until a few more servers sprouted up so they could do it

game also is apparently shipping in the next few months, they've already talked about it but wanted it to be more limited.
[doublepost=1628724657][/doublepost]also vr is looking cool, can't wait to see what happens with that