Serious Signatures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satirical

Electron
Nebulae
So, I didn't know where on the forums to put this, but...

I'd actually like to see us able to add in signatures, please.

If you're worried about NSFW content, or signatures that take up too much space, then you can put a ban on NSFW sigs and that should regulate itself, and then set restrictions that are actually mechanical on the site for the resolution of a signature.

I don't see what harm it would do.

Mendel

Aboriginal Indigenous American
Nebulae
i think we had them when nebulous first opened, probably a good reason they were removed

@2stronk had the best one tho

Reactions: List

Mendel

Aboriginal Indigenous American
Nebulae
To quote Hans Landa of Inglorious Basterds: "...But that was some time ago!"

I don't think it would be innately harmful to try it again and see where it goes.
even if it did get added, it would probably be premium only

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
signatures are a pain in the BUM to regulate properly and are horrendously ugly 100% of the time
[doublepost=1502324401][/doublepost]except for @2stronk's signature

Reactions: List

nash

slimaaconroy-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
god, please no pictures of dicks and microsoft paintings of obama

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
How exactly?
signatures are just posts inserted underneath regular posts in a thread, which means they can leverage the same bbcode as a regular post. this results in having to keep an eye on twice the number of posts pretty much

we can place some restrictions for size and stuff, sure, but this doesn't stop people from embedding images/videos/whatever that increase page load times. this is why you're only allowed to upload a certain file size for avatars - so we don't have people downloading your shit 20mb pivot gif

in general, it's just not worth the effort when you can express the same things in your avatar and title

Satirical

Electron
Nebulae
signatures are just posts inserted underneath regular posts in a thread, which means they can leverage the same bbcode as a regular post. this results in having to keep an eye on twice the number of posts pretty much

Yeah, but that also means if someone is using a signature that goes against the rules, it'd be easier to spot it. Assuming you can allot enough manpower (and given the size of this community I don't see that being unrealistic), I don't see the implausibility of regulating such things.

we can place some restrictions for size and stuff, sure, but this doesn't stop people from embedding images/videos/whatever that increase page load times. this is why you're only allowed to upload a certain file size for avatars - so we don't have people downloading your shit 20mb pivot gif

When last I'd known you could actually pretty freely modify what's available for use in signatures, although videos signatures don't exactly destroy the forums' fluidity.

in general, it's just not worth the effort when you can express the same things in your avatar and title

I don't entirely agree with that.

Nebulae

not when the limit in size is less than 200kb lmao even 4chan allows larger images

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
Yeah, but that also means if someone is using a signature that goes against the rules, it'd be easier to spot it. Assuming you can allot enough manpower (and given the size of this community I don't see that being unrealistic), I don't see the implausibility of regulating such things.
it's just more unnecessary work and drama for mods when they have to sift through some utter shite already

When last I'd known you could actually pretty freely modify what's available for use in signatures, although videos signatures don't exactly destroy the forums' fluidity.
sure we can, but what would there be left? embedding videos is a no-no for the same reason that we'd want to avoid embedding images. that leaves us with just text which is pointless since we have titles already

not when the limit in size is less than 200kb lmao even 4chan allows larger images
I mean 4chan doesn't have avatars or signatures at all and you can only upload images in posts - while we don't allow you to upload, you can link whatever media you want in a post anyway so that doesn't really apply

Nebulae
I mean 4chan doesn't have avatars or signatures at all and you can only upload images in posts - while we don't allow you to upload, you can link whatever media you want in a post anyway so that doesn't really apply

true i just miss having a couple megs to work with for an avatar scaling everything down to 195kb is a pain.

Satirical

Electron
Nebulae
sure we can, but what would there be left? embedding videos is a no-no for the same reason that we'd want to avoid embedding images. that leaves us with just text which is pointless since we have titles already

I've not seen embedded videos or images disturb a forums' functionality, across the swath of communities I've been in.

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
I've not seen embedded videos or images disturb a forums' functionality, across the swath of communities I've been in.
it's not the functionality, it's the performance degradation that occurs when everyone has a piece of media embedded in their signature
it takes longer to load the page since it has to download more content, and potentially causes some hitches (see: any thread where each post contains a youtube video)

nash

slimaaconroy-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
it's not the functionality, it's the performance degradation that occurs when everyone has a piece of media embedded in their signature
it takes longer to load the page since it has to download more content, and potentially causes some hitches (see: any thread where each post contains a youtube video)

I agree with impulse signatures are just cancerous and people use them for their crummy 1440x900 microsoft painting of steve.

No.

Satirical

Electron
Nebulae
I agree with impulse signatures are just cancerous and people use them for their crummy 1440x900 microsoft painting of steve.

No.

This point is moot, again, because you can regulate resolutions literally as a mechanic in Xenforo.

I'm running on a six-year-old ASUS Laptop atm, and I've never had a problem running web pages with that much embedded media on a Xenforo forums site. It's either I haven't, or I did but it was so trivial that I couldn't notice. In either case this seems futile, so I'm going to leave it to whoever needs to evaluate this. It's not urgent enough that it requires me battling to defend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.