News Singularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Punished Atle - made to suffer the creation of maps just for them to be thrown away

It's not thrown away. Atle made C24 in his own time, we appreciated it but it's hard to continue to appreciate something with so many problems that he won't allow us to fix; So it became time to cut our losses and move away from it.

wack

A kidney-sized tumor.
Nebulae
It's not thrown away. Atle made C24 in his own time, we appreciated it but it's hard to continue to appreciate something with so many problems that he won't allow us to fix; So it became time to cut our losses and move away from it.
Bah. Fair enough.

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae
tbh I think if he'd let those willing to work on it after seeing what the community wants it'd turn out nicer

but he's either too afraid to give it out or doesn't give a shit or he has some ulterior reason

still can't be forced to play it due to its many flaws that could probably be tweaked easily

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
tbh I think if he'd let those willing to work on it after seeing what the community wants it'd turn out nicer

but he's either too afraid to give it out or doesn't give a shit or he has some ulterior reason

still can't be forced to play it due to its many flaws that could probably be tweaked easily

He's moved on.

Source is an obsolete engine that over a decade old; it's not surprising.

Clouds

Mr. Weedmans
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
If only we were allowed to make a quick edit of residential 17 which improved the rebel area, thus doing the work for the developers which supposedly they wanted to do themselves on their own time because it's their map (bunch of pasted in areas and small edits of the original city 17 from HL2) then maybe we could have a pretty good map while giving the original devs all the credit. But, instead district 47 will see the light of actually be used on a popular server, which is completely fine.

GMOD devs will be GMOD devs, amirite?

Reactions: List

Cookie!

Golly!
Nebulae
I'll provide some feedback with my opinions;

The apartments really give me feel from when I first walked in on the HL2 game, they're tightly packed hallways, and really nice overall. I got slightly confused on the resistances location, but hopefully that could be fixed maybe chopping a minor part of the map off using combine locks just for rebels.
Now, I got confused on where the W.I. could be, CWU and UM were pretty obvious, and I like the look of UM, might make the faction more lively, however never found a location for W.I., unless you have plans for a casual area to deck out with some science equipment like i17?
Overall, decent map, a few minor adjustments could be made, but yes, nice and compact, leaving people with the option to RP in some area's, almost just like the HL2 universe, where citizens were found mostly in apartments, rather than in the streets talking.

D

Deleted member 930

I gave C24 the title "The Red Queen" because the City choose the Color Red. I find it unfortunate that we are leaving it behind....but it was a pleasure to play on it.
For me at least.

Spine

All toasters toast toast.
Nebulae
If only we were allowed to make a quick edit of residential 17 which improved the rebel area, thus doing the work for the developers which supposedly they wanted to do themselves on their own time because it's their map (bunch of pasted in areas and small edits of the original city 17 from HL2) then maybe we could have a pretty good map while giving the original devs all the credit. But, instead district 47 will see the light of actually be used on a popular server, which is completely fine.

GMOD devs will be GMOD devs, amirite?
It's nice to hear only one side of the story and being bias all the way right?

Clouds

Mr. Weedmans
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
From what I've heard that's the story. The devs didn't want anyone to touch the map, which it clearly states on the workshop. Instead, the devs of the map wanted to do the edits themselves which Nebulous couldn't wait a month or so because it wasn't going to be an immediate thing, meaning it would take a while.

Saying I'm biased all the way is pretty funny, especially when facts are laid out that the devs of residential 17 explicitly do not want anyone to edit, redistribute, decompile, or share the .bsp.

efa2e1c8a0f8919ce8dad76ab318f750.png

it must mean I'm biased to say both that the devs don't want anyone to touch the map and that nebulous needed a map so they chose d47 because they weren't allowed to edit residential 17 themselves. Regardless, I may have come off as a dick when I said it, but it's their map, their choice. All I'm saying is that it has multiple areas ripped from HL2's C17, I'm making a point, not trying to be biased and tell one side of the story.

e; They could've allowed Neb to make the small changes to the rebel area, been given credit, and had their map be featured on a server that gets more players than any other HL2RP map. It'd be a win win situation, but like I said, their map their choice. Thus, Nebulous respected that.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae

It's not bias because they literally did that.

Go look at a bunch of the d#_trainstation maps from HL2 and you will notice that the reason for the similar aesthetic is because they literally ripped buildings out.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
It's not bias because they literally did that.

Go look at a bunch of the d#_trainstation maps from HL2 and you will notice that the reason for the similar aesthetic is because they literally ripped buildings out.
Credit to the guy, he didn't actually rip them. I spoke to the author once as SD; turned out he rebuilt it from the ground up (at least the outside) to make it fit better with his own edits.

The problem with that is, naturally, Valve could fuck him over if it became common knowledge.

That's why he isn't okay with anyone getting access to the files.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Credit to the guy, he didn't actually rip them. I spoke to the author once as SD; turned out he rebuilt it from the ground up (at least the outside) to make it fit better with his own edits.

The problem with that is, naturally, Valve could fuck him over if it became common knowledge.

That's why he isn't okay with anyone getting access to the files.

Valve isn't going to fuck him over the same way they didn't fuck over the modding team(s) working on Missing Information or other derivatives of leftover Half Life 2: Beta materials; it's all public-domain for free use as long as it stays free. Yes, you can quote that they never released an end-user agreement for using HL2 materials or resources; but you don't see them suing people using the hammer editor either.

Sure, they can take his product and incorporate it into their own work - but that's the shit you sign for when you upload anything to the workshop.

The misconception that they would outright sue him for modifying a .BSP file with his own variant, however, is a far-fetched idea.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Valve isn't going to fuck him over the same way they didn't fuck over the modding team(s) working on Missing Information or other derivatives of leftover Half Life 2: Beta materials; it's all public-domain for free use as long as it stays free. Yes, you can quote that they never released an end-user agreement for using HL2 materials or resources; but you don't see them suing people using the hammer editor either.

Sure, they can take his product and incorporate it into their own work - but that's the shit you sign for when you upload anything to the workshop.

The misconception that they would outright sue him for modifying a .BSP file with his own variant, however, is a far-fetched idea.
Yeah, I know it's silly and all.

But the guy is really paranoid. It's a shame, too, because with a more robust sewer, R17 would be a good map for Neb.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Yeah, I know it's silly and all.

But the guy is really paranoid. It's a shame, too, because with a more robust sewer, R17 would be a good map for Neb.

That's not partially true; the map needs a rather extensive clean-up to be viable.

In terms of the layout, it doesn't work for the same reason City 45 doesn't work - it splits the population into two districts and then choke-holds them with a lack of options in terms of entrances, exits, and options - it's ludicrously easy to clamp down on locations and there's not much you can do to slip past anything.

The nexus, to be blunt, is a train-wreck that needs to be optimized further and re-built if it was to ever see used here.

The sewers would need to be removed and then renovated entirely from the existing exits - as it stands right now, it's nothing more than a network of a few concrete tunnels that don't even meet the definition of 'hideaway'. Any PT team could massacre anyone inside purely because of the tunnels being so clustered.

Status
Not open for further replies.