News Singularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
The nexus, to be blunt, is a train-wreck that needs to be optimized further and re-build if it was to ever see used here.
The skylights trigger the absolute fuck out of me.

I know it's taken from Nova Prospekt but you could in theory literally climb up to the rooftops and break in through them.

Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
how would anyone get up to the roofs in theory
You can climb up to them from certain parts of the map - the one that springs to mind is the watchtower just inside the Nexus courtyard. If you have enough agility you can get from the railing to the lip of the roof.

Then all you have to do is find the part of the map he failed to patch (forget where it is, one part of the rooftops lets you get out of bounds if you wiggle right) and get outside the map then punch your way in through them.

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
You can climb up to them from certain parts of the map - the one that springs to mind is the watchtower just inside the Nexus courtyard. If you have enough agility you can get from the railing to the lip of the roof.

Then all you have to do is find the part of the map he failed to patch (forget where it is, one part of the rooftops lets you get out of bounds if you wiggle right) and get outside the map then punch your way in through them.
even in the event that something like that happens even if done on dead hours the damage done would be none because of the way everything is set up and laid out

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae

sounds like a job for prop block

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
even in the event that something like that happens even if done on dead hours the damage done would be none because of the way everything is set up and laid out
I suppose the most you could do is do it with two people and glitch your way through the doors.

Spine

All toasters toast toast.
Nebulae
It's nice to contribute fuckall towards what he was saying and being really extremely helpful right?
Who are you and why did you join the bandwagon? I don't need to be helpfull regarding this topic, you boys are just close minded and misinformed.
From what I've heard that's the story. The devs didn't want anyone to touch the map, which it clearly states on the workshop. Instead, the devs of the map wanted to do the edits themselves which Nebulous couldn't wait a month or so because it wasn't going to be an immediate thing, meaning it would take a while.

Saying I'm biased all the way is pretty funny, especially when facts are laid out that the devs of residential 17 explicitly do not want anyone to edit, redistribute, decompile, or share the .bsp.

efa2e1c8a0f8919ce8dad76ab318f750.png

it must mean I'm biased to say both that the devs don't want anyone to touch the map and that nebulous needed a map so they chose d47 because they weren't allowed to edit residential 17 themselves. Regardless, I may have come off as a dick when I said it, but it's their map, their choice. All I'm saying is that it has multiple areas ripped from HL2's C17, I'm making a point, not trying to be biased and tell one side of the story.

e; They could've allowed Neb to make the small changes to the rebel area, been given credit, and had their map be featured on a server that gets more players than any other HL2RP map. It'd be a win win situation, but like I said, their map their choice. Thus, Nebulous respected that.
  • You don't know the other side's opinion
  • I cannot speak on his behalf but as I see it from my perspective you boys are acting like stuck up jerks
  • I'm not sure how much editing happened in City47 but I'm pretty sure it wasn't enough to slap a NB logo on it

The makers of that map can do whatever they want with it. The reason was that they feared that the community will barely change anything on it and slap a rp_nb_city17 on it and that's not fair since they would get their entire work stolen. They're not working non stop on it since it's a hobby. The map was also used in LP back in the day and LP was pretty populated as well, so it's nothing new to have their map chosen on a popular community.
It's not bias because they literally did that.

Go look at a bunch of the d#_trainstation maps from HL2 and you will notice that the reason for the similar aesthetic is because they literally ripped buildings out.
I will go with my friend on this one, since I saw his work from the beginning as well as followed some of his streams.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
I suppose the most you could do is do it with two people and glitch your way through the doors.

That's been standard practice for most maps, though - it's easily countered by adding more doors.

Who are you and why did you join the bandwagon? I don't need to be helpfull regarding this topic, you boys are just close minded and misinformed.

• I cannot speak on his behalf but as I see it from my perspective you boys are acting like stuck up jerks
  • I'm not sure how much editing happened in City47 but I'm pretty sure it wasn't enough to slap a NB logo on it

The makers of that map can do whatever they want with it. The reason was that they feared that the community will barely change anything on it and slap a rp_nb_city17 on it and that's not fair since they would get their entire work stolen. They're not working non stop on it since it's a hobby. The map was also used in LP back in the day and LP was pretty populated as well, so it's nothing new to have their map chosen on a popular community.

I will go with my friend on this one, since I saw his work from the beginning as well as followed some of his streams.

Okay, so if you want to get stuck-up and act all arrogant, allow me to follow the same protocol.
  • You aren't acknowledging the other side's opinion
  • From my perspective you're acting extremely arrogant with little regarding the fact that the map is not capable of use with the present requirements without being edited.
  • Although I will attest that Zak has done little, that isn't an actual point. Upgrades are to be expected for things that have been floating around for years.
Your friend literally took the shell buildings and rebuilt them; akin to a parody of the Mona Lisa without the parody element. Same aesthetic, same design - perhaps a different touch. In the end, it's still the same building with a few subtle modifications - this goes for the Nova Prospekt elements that were shoehorned into the Nexus.
That being said, to my knowledge, you cannot legally claim a derivative of pre-existing work if it is based off elements distributed under for free-use and without an established end-user agreement.

Spine

Nebulae
That's been standard practice for most maps, though - it's easily countered by adding more doors.
Your friend literally took the shell buildings and rebuilt them; akin to a parody of the Mona Lisa without the parody element. Same aesthetic, same design - perhaps a different touch. In the end, it's still the same building with a few subtle modifications - this goes for the Nova Prospekt elements that were shoehorned into the Nexus.
If you think the map is so low quality and poor effort, why do they want to edit it so badly then? Why use it in the first place? Why considering it?

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
If you think the map is so low quality and poor effort, why do they want to edit it so badly then?

Note that I did not say it was low quality - I said that it's rather obvious that parts of Nova Prospekt were implemented in.

This is a design choice - not what I would have done, but it's a choice that was made by the designer.

Besides, to use such a snarky comment is just begging for me to remind you that not everyone wishes to see an edit; on the contrary, more original work is what we need than re-hashed visions of drab post-Soviet architecture than ninety percent of HL2RP based-maps use.

Spine

Nebulae
Note that I did not say it was low quality - I said that it's rather obvious that parts of Nova Prospekt were implemented in.

This is a design choice - not what I would have done, but it's a choice that was made by the designer.

Besides, to use such a snarky comment is just begging for me to remind you that not everyone wishes to see an edit; on the contrary, more original work is what we need than re-hashed visions of drab post-Soviet architecture than ninety percent of HL2RP based-maps use.
I would suggest to read and wait at least a couple of minutes before replying. Kind sir.

shibe

Molecule
Nebulae
few points of request:
- Like the other storm, please don't force cops to just spam "GO INSIDE HOMES NOW!!!!111", cause this was honestly annoying. I wanted to know what was happening in the event and not be paired up with citizens in some cramped space. Rather make cops help citizens into safety by getting them to the trainstation or something but there's a lot of antlions there or whatever.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
I would suggest to read and wait at least a couple of minutes before replying. Kind sir.

Let me try and ignore the copy-paste-tier ad hominem and instead surrogate it for actual facts so I can clear this ridiculous discussion off the post and instead allow for meaningful commentary instead.

If you think the map is so low quality and poor effort, why do they want to edit it so badly then? Why use it in the first place? Why considering it?

I do not believe the map is 'so low quality' neither 'and poor effort' - if anything, demeaning this community by repeatedly stating 'they' like some enemy out of some passive-aggressive desire is outright ridiculous. Stuffing words into my mouth to create some pseudo-argument reflects a lot about yourself in addition.

The community was considering an edit, as LP had before, but there was one little dilemma which stopped that consideration.

efa2e1c8a0f8919ce8dad76ab318f750.png

There is nothing stopping someone from decompiling the map from the pre-uploaded .BSP, changing the environment to their whim and then re-packaging it into something for their own use. This is a practice that is allowed by Valve (per their decision to distribute said tools under free-use practices, as in addition to their own in-engine software) and unless someone is willing to drag someone to court over this (which is outright ridiculous as said person is going to be laughed out of any decent-rate law firm) there is nothing feasible you can do with a determined user creating an edit. Obfuscating or other little tricks will not halt someone who is determined enough to re-shape the environment.

This little 'please don't' sign is not going to stop someone who is determined to do so.
However, as this community actually has some guide of morals, this was not done for the obvious reason.

If said creator allowed an edit by this community to be created, it would probably be utilized within a week.
However, the decision to deny this - if understandable from their point of view - means it cannot be used, nor or the foreseeable future.

They did not want to 'edit it so badly' - it was a possible choice that has since been denied from this decision.
The same goes for the consideration; and instead D17 was chosen as the creator decided to allow said edit.

The map is not being used now, or in the foreseeable future unless said quality-of-life edits can be made.
Considering this is standard practice by several communities (as seen by City 8), it's not a foreign concept, nor is it truly difficult.

In future, if you want to sling shit around and demean others, go to the fast threads section or spam the report button.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
The map doesn't have our logo physically on it, we did that so people don't get confused between versions and so they know that this version is a version that is not vanilla, but edited to suit our community. It is in no way us claiming that we have contributed 'enough' to put our 'logo' on it.

Dan22

Neutrino
Nebulae
Firstly, I'd like to apologies for this debate sparking. Yes, we are aware our decision will lead to some communities not using the map (which is unfortunate) but we have reasons for this decision and I thank this community for respecting this as many others have. Me and Kill started this project some years ago when we had much more free time than we do now. I would love to quickly finish the map but it's just not possible to do at this time, the delay is not on purpose or anything like that. But if the current state of the map is not to your taste then sorry, please do give me your feedback and I would suggest to consider a different map to use (which has been done in this case).

Keep in mind as I have told other communities that when the map is finished (no date specified when that will be) we will consider the decision again.

Just note I won't be responding further to this thread, pm me or add me on steam if you'd like to speak further.
Thanks.

Manio

Mostly Sleepy
Nebulae
'Ight, I played on this new d47 on sandbox and... Zak did good job with the map, however it's still too small, there is no way to RebelRP in those small sewers [or something similar to them], WI won't be able to set up their labs since there is no building designated for their needs, TAG-PT will wipe out every rebel when sweeping, as I mentioned above, sewers are small and there is no place to hide, I won't even metion OTA sweep, God bless webuls.

I'm not saying that we should stay with c24, I would be happy to visit C08 once again or maybe modified version of i17, however, d47 is the worst choice in my opinion.

I hope that staff will do great job in making d47 playable for 70+ players.

Status
Not open for further replies.