Star Wars the Last Jedi discussion [Spoilers]

Pistolparty5892

Neutrino
Nebulae
I'll just keep it short. I didn't like this movie, it was so.. average that it was painful. It reminds me of kingdom of the crystal skull in that respect. You get the experience, but it feels like a brady bunch reunion more than a standalone film.

And I'm not alone in this either; TLJ has a lower audience rating than the Phantom Menace on Rotten Tomatoes... Just think on that for a minute.

Toast Lord

Electron
Nebulae
ae0a8507b57bce9cdb9a4f341d8e2f86.png

ButtonLip

I really was wilbur whateley the whole time
Nebulae
I love Star Wars. I grew up watching the orginal series and the prequels on VHS. I loved The Force Awakens when I saw it in theatre, and even after I took off my rose-colored glasses and rewatched it a few times, I still liked it a lot. Finn, Rey, Kylo, Poe, the whole lot I liked since their on-screen introductions.

But when I watched The Last Jedi, fifteen minutes into the movie I had a sinking feeling that I was going to come to dislike it. The corny jokes, the shoed in romance between Finn and the new asian character, the ridiculously sudden death of Snoke that wrote him off as a disposable bad guy with no point to ponder the mysteries of their backstory, the god damn porgs, the dissapointing details of Luke's life on Ach To, Leia flying around like Mary Poppins, Hux turning into a whimpy joke, the lame way Gwendoline Christie's character died... There's a long laundry list of reasons to dislike this addition to the Star Wars universe.

The good bits were the scenes with Kylo (Adam Driver kills it in this role, the character is well developed and interesting to watch progress) and Benecio del Toro as the stuttering hacker, who's like Han Solo if he was actually just in it for himself, like he claimed in A New Hope. I get why they did the things they did in the movie, for the most part, and while it was well acted, the execution was awful, and the end result was the worst blend of cheesy, corny, and dissapointing that left me feeling stupid for being so excited to watch it. It didn't live up to the standard set by the orginal series, Force Awakens, and Rogue One, and I'm now deeply uneasy about Star Wars's future.

I'll probably still watch them in theatre as they come out though.