Star Wars the Last Jedi discussion [Spoilers]

Dicknose

Whatever happens, happens.
Nebulae
Just making this so I can discuss it when I see it tomorrow.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
I already saw it ten hours ago, so let me just throw in a few thoughts.

They're in the spoiler, so don't open it if you don't want to be spoiled, obviously.

Killing Snoke off abruptly halfway through the movie just seemed a bit random and cliche.
They essentially gambled on increasing Ben's role in the movie, and while it works for a bit - the whole 'angsty want-to-be emporer' idea doesn't exactly pay off.

Yoda's only inclusion into the movie is to act as a cameo joke and a giant 'fuck you' to both Luke and the Audience in the brief encounter he has.

Oh, and Luke going the route of Kenobi and just fading off into the twilight is baffling, especially since it negates half the reason of the whole pseudo-hologram gambit.

Dicknose

Nebulae
I already saw it ten hours ago, so let me just throw in a few thoughts.

They're in the spoiler, so don't open it if you don't want to be spoiled, obviously.

Killing Snoke off abruptly halfway through the movie just seemed a bit random and cliche.
They essentially gambled on increasing Ben's role in the movie, and while it works for a bit - the whole 'angsty want-to-be emporer' idea doesn't exactly pay off.

Yoda's only inclusion into the movie is to act as a cameo joke and a giant 'fuck you' to both Luke and the Audience in the brief encounter he has.

Oh, and Luke going the route of Kenobi and just fading off into the twilight is baffling, especially since it negates half the reason of the whole pseudo-hologram gambit.
idk about spoilers because star wars sucks now

It seems like they pulled a prequels by killing it's fucking villain too early. Luke dying seems stupid and makes me mad because Star Wars has been about the fucking Skywalker family

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
idk about spoilers because star wars sucks now

It seems like they pulled a prequels by killing it's fucking villain too early. Luke dying seems stupid and makes me mad because Star Wars has been about the fucking Skywalker family

He literally pulls a 'heroic sacrifice' gambit to let the remaining (repeat, fuck-all) population of the resistance escape after they got fucked over by the First Order

So Ben (who replaces Snoke as the 'Supreme Leader' orders them to basically annihilate the area that Luke's standing in

except surprise all their cannons and weaponry do nothing

so Ben walks over to him, engages him in a duel, and surprise

Luke isn't actually there, it's some pseudo-hologram-force-thing and he was doing it to buy time for the fleeing resistance members, who escape in the Millenium Falcon

then Luke's pseudo-form vanishes, and the camera shows Luke on the island, smiling as he clutches his chest

he climbs back on the rock he was sitting on and then vanishes with his coat flying off into the wind

the movie has some decent (even for the comedic scenes) moments, don't get me wrong, but some of the crucial bits honestly don't make sense outside an M. Night Shyamalan movie

Dicknose

Nebulae
He literally pulls a 'heroic sacrifice' gambit to let the remaining (repeat, fuck-all) population of the resistance escape after they got fucked over by the First Order

So Ben (who replaces Snoke as the 'Supreme Leader' orders them to basically annihilate the area that Luke's standing in

except surprise all their cannons and weaponry do nothing

so Ben walks over to him, engages him in a duel, and surprise

Luke isn't actually there, it's some pseudo-hologram-force-thing and he was doing it to buy time for the fleeing resistance members, who escape in the Millenium Falcon

then Luke's pseudo-form vanishes, and the camera shows Luke on the island, smiling as he clutches his chest

he climbs back on the rock he was sitting on and then vanishes with his coat flying off into the wind

the movie has some decent (even for the comedic scenes) moments, don't get me wrong, but some of the crucial bits honestly don't make sense outside an M. Night Shyamalan movie
The fuck did I just read?

God this just made me kind of mad. Luke is one of my heroes and seeing him die like that is just a slap in the face holy fuck. At least let him die in a blaze of glory not in a pussy ass way.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
The fuck did I just read?

God this just made me kind of mad. Luke is one of my heroes and seeing him die like that is just a slap in the face holy fuck. At least let him die in a blaze of glory not in a pussy ass way.

it's set up initially to make you think that's what he'll do

except he just pulls the aforementioned and dies like a man having a heart attack on Everest

Dicknose

Nebulae
it's set up initially to make you think that's what he'll do

except he just pulls the aforementioned and dies like a man having a heart attack on Everest
Not to be dramatic or anything, but holy fuck Disney fucked this trilogy up.

Colonel Sanders

PROUD AMERICAN
Nebulae
I mean it was a good movie and all but the rebels were in the same situation the entire movie.
They get stuck in space fighting the first order
Space fight and rebels receive heavy losses
They “escape”
Stuck in space again
Actually escape
Stuck by the first order again (but on ground)
Ground fight
Receive heavy losses
Escape finally (?)

Honestly force awakens was much better

Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
@'77 East @Dicknose

Reason Luke dies took me a while to work out, but it's set up from when Kylo/Rei are mind-melded and can touch one another. You see Ben's hand wet - as if he'd been in the rain on the island. Luke was projecting himself but he was still there. Hence the whole 'if you strike me down in anger' thing and why he didn't just take the blades sooner - it would have killed him quicker.

He actually took both stabs and lived just long enough to see it through but then he died and force-ghosted, like Kenobi did. Was also probably because he was projecting himself such massive distances for a significant portion of time.

Snoke was an odd one but that I could understand - he underestimated Kylo massively. I'm just glad he didn't go back to the light.

Dicknose

Nebulae
@'77 East @Dicknose

Reason Luke dies took me a while to work out, but it's set up from when Kylo/Rei are mind-melded and can touch one another. You see Ben's hand wet - as if he'd been in the rain on the island. Luke was projecting himself but he was still there. Hence the whole 'if you strike me down in anger' thing and why he didn't just take the blades sooner - it would have killed him quicker.

He actually took both stabs and lived just long enough to see it through but then he died and force-ghosted, like Kenobi did. Was also probably because he was projecting himself such massive distances for a significant portion of time.

Snoke was an odd one but that I could understand - he underestimated Kylo massively. I'm just glad he didn't go back to the light.
Doesn't make since because Kylo didn't die when Rey shot him.

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
i wasn't the only person who saw gareth edwards in that one scene right?

Last edited:

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
the last jedi is an admirable attempt at a new brand of star wars that still attempts to stay true to the roots of its formula. admittedly it is a noble feat, though in some areas of the film it does indeed fall flat, anticlimactic and so-forth. the film's aspirations are less than aided by its lackluster character arc and more than bland acting in some areas.

i'll always want to re-watch rogue one for its stunning visuals, acting and story arc that is contained within its 133 minute run-time. rogue one is a staple of what a fan of such a wide reaching movie series with minor directive skills can perform when the limits are pushed; when concepts are thrown into the mix, the formula is changed, the roles are reversed into an antihero state and so-forth. rogue one is subtle without zeal to call to its inclusions and above all, it is ambitious without being self-indulgent.

whilst rian johnson's skills go without statement as a foreword (looper, per example), and he attempted his best, ultimately the dis-interesting stature of the last jedi is down to bad acting and cliche. i think it goes without saying that daisy ridley's acting diversity is incredibly contained - i'd even stretch to say she's a bad actress - but it's clear that she is not fit for such a role of 'rey'. it feels to me that every actor and actress (scarce for a few; oscar isaac as an example) is only able to contain one type of emotion to their acting that they can really sell to the audience, so it's just been decided that their characters will be written for that one emotion.

though, i was pleasantly surprised with the new arc of adam driver's 'kylo ren', considering his role was heavily criticized in the force awakens as being an emo teen boy who was only there to cause a ruckus. on the contrary, mark hamill's role felt completely unnecessary and contributed very little to the arc of the story to come in episode 9. his plot pivot as a character newly introduced felt rushed, clunky; and ultimately, pointless. the other characters are self-explanatory. i couldn't really care for what happens to them considering that they're written as a hollow shell with only the facade of a character arc that is completely weak and unstructured in my honest opinion.

the shot of rey becoming force aware and the waterfall shot in reverse to a hard cut to rey's hand was interesting; probably the most breathtaking and visually intriguing of the whole film. there wasn't much to the visuals of the white/red planet that was shown to be so hyped in the trailers. once again in comparison to rogue one, this is just weak.

i'd agree to the fact that this is a film for star wars fans, and will most likely be shunned by audiences because of its long run time and 'star wars terminology', but this is solid evidence that a longer run time and more-known director won't always make the better film. more is achieved and to be admirable of in the shorter running, lesser rejoiced rogue one.

tl;dr - watch rogue one, you'll like it much more and it's feats compared to this clunky, nonsensical and lackluster next step in the 2010s star wars triolgy; the last jedi.

Aleks

Vaporwaves Skeletons
Nebulae
Leia flying from space into the ship was the dumbest fucking thing, also ackbar's death should of been the purple haired lady's one.

mpower

Electron
Nebulae
It just felt like a remix of the previous episodes, Hoth/red salt planet(tbh they probs only made it red to distract the fact that it looked similar to Hoth and the whole situation felt similar), destroying of a massive station(here a battleship), destroying of a even bigger massive station(here a massive battleship), rebels fleeing, apprentice bringing Jedi in front of emperor, betrays emperor, although the outcome was different

Surely there were original features but the whole thing just felt way too influenced by 4,5,6

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
It just felt like a remix of the previous episodes, Hoth/red salt planet(tbh they probs only made it red to distract the fact that it looked similar to Hoth and the whole situation felt similar), destroying of a massive station(here a battleship), destroying of a even bigger massive station(here a massive battleship), rebels fleeing, apprentice bringing Jedi in front of emperor, betrays emperor, although the outcome was different

Surely there were original features but the whole thing just felt way too influenced by 4,5,6
I personally think that was the point - everything in the Starwars verse is heavily implied to happen in cycles. It's very much - in a meta sense - a continuous good vs evil thing (reflective of the time though in practicality it's more nuanced), and I think that's meant to be reflective in the actual universe itself. Yeah it really was sorta just a rehash but it was different enough to satisfy me and in-universe kinda made sense.

Also @Aleks for all it was poorly filmed, Leia's always been in touch with the force given her father. She just never had formal training or anything unlike Luke. Nor did she ever really have reason to draw on it before? She was literally dying in this case.

mpower

Electron
Nebulae
I personally think that was the point - everything in the Starwars verse is heavily implied to happen in cycles. It's very much - in a meta sense - a continuous good vs evil thing (reflective of the time though in practicality it's more nuanced), and I think that's meant to be reflective in the actual universe itself. Yeah it really was sorta just a rehash but it was different enough to satisfy me and in-universe kinda made sense.

Also @Aleks for all it was poorly filmed, Leia's always been in touch with the force given her father. She just never had formal training or anything, unlike Luke. Nor did she ever really have reason to draw on it before? She was literally dying in this case.
That's probably how it was endurable and still decent for me, it felt like Star Wars and didn't look like a total copy after all, yet I had too many vibes from the previous episodes and I just think that the universe is big enough to have something else than good and bad in the same rail