Team Fortress 2 or Overwatch?

Overwatch or TF2?

• Total voters

Luft

a bad memer
Nebulae
As title says, discuss here you opinions about each game, what you think about it and what you think could be better.

Unusual hats, no teamplay and trade offers 24/7
08EB527BA69813FB58BFE1794A0D09F410A42421

or

21 classes, teamplay somtimes, no trade offers, fun at playing and still classes to explore. Including newer ones in the future.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
Both of them are shit now.

Valve adds increasingly shittier updates that do nothing but make you want to tear your hair out as most of it is just shitty cosmetics.

On the flip side, Overwatch is a OK game if you are into the casual play as its designed for that. The competitive, on the other hand, is god aweful. If you think I am overexaggerating, those hooks through the wall play of the games you see is because of the fact that when you see a player on your screen, to the server they are actually behind a wall. That is how terrible the server to player interaction is and it has not been fixed for Competitive.

Plus multi-classing and some of the unbalanced parts of the classes make Competitive dumb as fuck so only play Overwatch if your interested in casual class based death matching / capture the flag.

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
21 classes, teamplay somtimes, no trade offers, fun at playing and still classes to explore. Including newer ones in the future.

"whats up?"
"hold on dude..think i found something..."
"what did u find?"
"its detecting bias......"

metal-detector.jpg

OT: 2013 tf2 best tf2
overwatch looks cool but i never tried it

ruben slikk

life aint shut but a fat vagin
Nebulae
2008 game, engaging and funny gameplay, lots of variations in playstyle by using different weapons and tactics for all classes, massive amount of gamemodes, mods and maps

2016 game, shitty competitive scene where only a few layouts are viable and every team always uses the same class setup, few gamemodes and maps

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
am i actually the only one who finds overwatch cringey

The stories behind the hero's are the blandest and most overused garbage ever. Literally the "Hero" garbage is a edgy soldier saving someone because feelings even when the person he is saving is a annoying bitch.

The characters themselves are really sterotypical and generic. Tracer seems like one of the only original characters while the rest are copy and paste stereotypes of different timelines / cultures.

For example, Hanzo and Genji. SERIOUSLY?

Expax

Nucleus
Nebulae
As title says, discuss here you opinions about each game, what you think about it and what you think could be better.

maxresdefault.jpg

or

maxresdefault.jpg
I'm gonna make a quite large and informative post. For once.

I personally prefer TF2, I don't like Overwatch that much, mainly because combining the MOBA genre with the high-skill FPS genre was a bad idea in my opinion.
You may say ''BUT EXBAX! OVURWETCH ISN'T A MOBA!''
Overwatch isn't neccessarily a MOBA, although it has the principles and foundations that most MOBA's have.
The reason I don't like Overwatch is because there's such a thing as ''abilities'', in an FPS. This is why I dislike games like Call of Duty, that gives you ''abilities'' such as killstreaks. An FPS, in my opinion, should be all about skill, which includes good aiming. This is why I think Counter Strike is such an amazing game, there's no such thing as a ''Character ability/Character specific ability'', the only ability you have in CS is your own skill. In Counter Strike, your character doesn't get better, you do. Same goes for TF2.
In Overwatch, you have ''abilities'' that are class specific, allowing a certain class to do a certain thing, with the click of a button. ''BUT EXBOX! DOESN'T DOTA AND LoL HAVE THE SAME KIND OF ABILITIES?''
Yes, this is correct, in a MOBA you have the same/similar gameplay styles as in Overwatch, although the difference is that you, as a player, have to learn when to use an ability and how, while also preserving your mana etc.

In Overwatch, you're able to use your abilities constantly, the only restriction being a cooldown. I don't like cooldowns. I could write all the reasons why I think cooldowns is a bad mechanic, but this blog by Eric Schwarz really explains it better, http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EricSchwarz/20120502/169672/Why_I_Hate_Cooldowns.php

I'm gonna talk about the complete ignorant point you made which was ''TF2, offers no teamplay.'' which I personally see as a quite troll-y point. TF2 is a game that revolves around teamwork, as does Overwatch ofcourse, I do not deny that.

Another point you made was ''TF2, unusual hats.'' Overwatch, legendary skins.

The trading system on Steam is a very controverisal topic although, personally, I have alot of nostalgia and memories of sitting on a trade server and asking if anyone has a specific hat to trade for my hat (or item for item in general). I think it offers alot more to do than just shooting/playing the game, it allows you to trade up to something that you want in TF2, or trade with your friends. The Steam trading system tries to accomplish the same thing TCG's accomplished (such as YuGiOh and Pokemon), the feel of trading your card that you don't want to your friend's card that you want is really a nice feeling, and even a better one if you manage to get some profit out of it.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
TF2 just seems bigger and better.

Overwatch doesn't have a gamemode that isn't taken from TF2.

Most of the Overwatch classes are weapons in TF2

Widowmaker = Sniper
Hanzo = Sniper with a huntsman.

Bastion = Brass beast heavy

Junkrat = Literal copypaste of the demoman.

Lucio = Concherer/Battalion's backup soldier without rockets.

Mercy = Medic.

Soldier 76 =Generic CoD guy.

Roadhog = Mannpower game mode.

Shrug.

NightVeil

Bringer of Sales
Nebulae
I mean, I never played overwatch, but somehow I feel it would be better in some aspects. It is much more balanced, and (can't really prove this but) it also probably does not have a community like tf2 that dumps shit on f2p no matter what the skill set, activity, etc. And that is annoying to me

Deleted member 28

What a pathetic string of words
Nebulae
TF2 just seems bigger and better.

Overwatch doesn't have a gamemode that isn't taken from TF2.

Most of the Overwatch classes are weapons in TF2

Widowmaker = Sniper
Hanzo = Sniper with a huntsman.

Bastion = Brass beast heavy

Junkrat = Literal copypaste of the demoman.

Lucio = Concherer/Battalion's backup soldier without rockets.

Mercy = Medic.

Soldier 76 =Generic CoD guy.

Roadhog = Mannpower game mode.

Shrug.
You can't really say they "ripped off" TF2 because TF2 uses generic classes and gamemodes. Saying Overwatch has taken KOTH from TF2 is essentially saying that every FPS game ripped off Wolfenstein 3D.

I personally prefer Overwatch as a team-based FPS game due to the massive amount of combinations and different ways to play the game. Each class is fun and there's a ton of different playstyles suited to each one.

I used to play TF2 a whole lot, and it still has a special place in my steam library. I had tons and tons of hats and miscellaneous items and even owned two australiums items (which I eventually sold to upgrade my PC), but when I saw TF2 was plagued with skins I kind of lost interest. It's a good game if you want to just play a humorous FPS, but the peak of it was certainly 2014 and I feel it has lost a lot of its shine.

EDIT: this guy sums it up pretty well http://tf2maps.net/threads/tf2-pubs-have-met-their-match.28589/

Reactions: List

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
For me, the peak of TF2 was back when there were absolutely none / very little items wayyyy back around the 2010 times. The community was much more tightknit as you had to buy the game instead of just download it and no one gave a shit about your skin. They cared how long you played the server and your skill level hence being part of a server was an identity, and not just how long you played on it.

The times when you cracked jokes and did stupid bullshit on 2fort are long gone and replaced by donator items / skins, 100% crits, instant respawn, whiney kids, f2p jerkoffs, and elitist assholes still left from the old times. Most of the oldies from way back then have left after they started seeing the changes from tight knit community to simply a cash grab.

Really sad since I made some good friends back in the day and had a lot of fun dicking around with them; back when I could actually count on joining a game and having a capable team for either playing the game seriously or doing something as absurd as a medic chain.

Plankster

Atom
Nebulae
Both of them are great, imo.
But it feels like TF2 is more of a game you always can come back to (that's how it is for me, I play it a while and take a break a while, and I always come back to it).

Then we have Overwatch, which is my favorite game atm, it got the same sort of very loveable characters (just like TF2) only more of them, and is amazing to play both alone and with friends, while I mostly play TF2 alone because I just simply think that is a more enjoyable experience.

So, at the moment I think Overwatch is more enjoyable, but I am pretty sure TF2 is gonna be making a return.
So, no vote from me.

sry if shite grammar, it's late and i'm typing this on my phone.

Also I am a "SwedishCuck" as people like to refer us as.

Silly Pillow

Electron
Nebulae
overwatch

I've thought multiple times "hey tf2 could be fun to pla-..." then I realized "it's not as fun as it used to be really early on." and never picked it up again
for now overwatch is pretty much the same as from the start and therefore I just go "Ooooh overwatch... I want myself some fucking loot boxes!"

Ranosh

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
tf2 has gotten to shit and is just fucking boring to play, almost as bad as csgo at this point

aeromantis

senior trash
Nebulae
TF2 was good until they started adding hats... and then weapon skins... Honestly valve is milking money out of TF2 at this point. It's still a good game, but it's nowhere near as good as it used to be. I used to sink like 5 hours a day into it but now I can hardly play it for 10 minutes without getting bored. The only people who really play it now are either kids who can't afford a better game, collectors, and old veterans who basically act like they're god.

For now, Overwatch has the upper hand imo, competitive is very fun and the players are really friendly if you're not in the trash ranks (40 and below) I'm rank 55 and there's practically no toxicity, save for the few special snowflakes who are few and far between, or the occasional match where we get stomped and everyone gets pissed... The price tag is hefty... £30 for not that much content. It's quite deceiving actually, they got away with this little content because of how fun it is to play, the mechanics are really fun.

If you don't own overwatch, and have a bit of disposable income, pick it up. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Expax

Nucleus
Nebulae
overwatch

I've thought multiple times "hey tf2 could be fun to pla-..." then I realized "it's not as fun as it used to be really early on." and never picked it up again
for now overwatch is pretty much the same as from the start and therefore I just go "Ooooh overwatch... I want myself some fucking loot boxes!"
I like your constructive and interesting points.

Grau

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
tf2 used to be really good but is shit now
overwatch is okay, needs some balancing but im having quite some fun with it so far