TerminatorRP Compendium

Nebulae
We could take a list of names and make a discord server.

Come a good few months, we can develop the lore, technical side and maybe present a viable plan to Alex and Co.

There's no rush. If you're busy, you're busy.

Reactions: List
D

Deleted member 4795

Maybe if we delayed the idea by 6+ months I could look at organising that sort of stuff. Right now I don't have the time and don't want to be subtracting focus from other things IRL.

I know basic helix code but can't make sophisticated derma edits. If anything basic is needed I'm your guy for grunt work.

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
TERMINATOR RP SETTING;
human versus human conflict.
While rarely included in the overarching narrative itself outside of a few exceptions, human v human conflict will exist in this setting; but we must understand that, at the end of the day, this is humanity versus the machines and excessive human v human conflict will eventually deteriorate the purpose of the setting.

What will be plentiful, however, is conflict between the players themselves; throughout the narrative, players will be subject to several instances wherein choices are to be made and that alone will inspire conflict; I'm sure other player-driven occurrences will cause conflict as well.

In a world where desperation rules, so does corruption and conflict.
added, covers player involvement in the narrative + human v human conflict

HK-REAPER -
KCAaVSR.png

An upscaled T-500R; but that is where the similarities end.

The purpose of the HK-REAPER is almost entirely tied into the existence of HK-TRANSPORT's, meaning it's unlikely to see the two apart; naturally, this implies that they are in development alongside the HK-TRANSPORT's.

Under the cover of fog deployed by the aerial barge, dozens of HK-REAPER units are deployed to seek out the fallen chassis' of other Terminators; from humanoid chassis' to something as large as a destroyed T-200, they are essentially the 'janitors' of SkyNET and are, funnily enough, almost entirely docile as a result unless explicitly provoked. Granted; you shouldn't go walking straight up to one, either.
scary motherfucker added

Advancing on us almost consistently is the Annihilation Line; an utter onslaught of machines of all sizes, types and dangers. In its wake, regions are razed and people are mercilessly killed; the land behind the Line is said to be barren, quiet, deathly and grey. The Line moves outwards, always; machines do not rest, they do not tire. We do.
added under 'story so far'

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
TERMINATOR RP SETTING;
SkyNET as a faction.

The 'tier' system can be done multiple ways; drone-by-drone, or by sets of drones.

If we go by how TnB themselves did it; new applicants start out as a T-600 and play that T-600 until they are deemed prepared to play a T-700, then they move onto a T-800 - so on. They can make a separate, albeit short, application to play non-humanoid drones - including hunter-killers; the separate application is necessary due to the fact the non-humanoid drones are very different and require a deeper understanding of the SkyNET faction. Non-humanoid drones are in tier groupings; new players into the non-humanoid category will be able to use 'tier 1' drones, which may only consist of a T-70, an HK-WIDOW, a T-20, T-500 etc. Tier 2 is slightly more advanced drones, such as the T-400 and drones of that calibre. Eventually you reach tier 4, which is typically reserved for leads/highly trusted players; this would consist of T-200's, HK-DRILLER's, etc.

Certain drones are only ever used in certain instances. T-200's are rarely seen, as are DRILLER's, and any drones of that calibre; therefore, much of the larger drones require lead authorisation to deploy, albeit this is rare as the people entrusted to play them are typically entrusted with the ability to gauge the situation and denote whether or not a drone is necessary.

A full SkyNET forum would need to be made to accommodate everything, from guides to applications.

People must understand; SkyNET is a demi-event-faction. You will not get much internal RP within SkyNET and you exist solely to provide humans with entertainment, usually with a fair modicum of freedom to do so-so long as you consider the ramifications of whatever it is you intend to do.

The only section of the SkyNET faction with its own personal leadership is the Infiltrator faction, which has its own dedicated lead - it can either be the co-lead of the overall faction, or a third lead.

A drone's 'tagline' (basically just a serial number) is typically just 'T-MODEL.NUMBER' - for example, A T-850's tagline would simply be written as 'T-850.6767'. The only exception is HK's, which are written as 'HK-MODEL.NUMBER' - I.E., HK-AERIAL.6767'.
added, covers drone progression and skynet as a faction overall

@Powley answer steam before i pound your head in with a large rock

Powley

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
added, covers player involvement in the narrative + human v human conflict

scary motherfucker added

added under 'story so far'

added, covers drone progression and skynet as a faction overall

@Powley answer steam before i pound your head in with a large rock
It was 4am

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
if u make trp and u dont rip new models from terminator resistance ill be disappointed in yall

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
TnB Terminator RP's biggest pitfall was the fact that one of the two factions in the server consisted of noncharacters; a problem I spent two years trying to fix as a player, then as an admin, then as one of the community's leaders, and ultimately gave up. One could argue that some of the issues were largely a result of Dave Brown sticking to his guns on some things I think many would have wished he hadn't, but I think Terminator is more or less engineered in that way given the nature of SkyNET in the setting.

As a result, you have a server that is nonautonomous: Rather than Half-Life where a mutual opposition between the Resistance and the Combine colliding with one another creates its own roleplay, its own plots and its own goals, Terminator is entirely on manual; requiring constant pushes from the administration to keep it going, something that I have always found to come with diminishing returns and almost entirely results in eventual ritualistic burnout. The big reasons TnB's TRP lasted for as long as it did despite the server being on manual was because the servers that were put up alongside it for its duration failed for unrelated reasons. While I have many fond memories of TRP, its longevity was honestly a result of those servers offering intermission and reprieve from the setting time and again, which made a return to TRP wash away the boredom and repetition that had set in prior. That dumb luck kept TRP going for nearly three years more than anything else, really.

The server's overall day-to-day experience depends on people playing as setpieces for other player's enjoyment, but since the Terminator player's own enjoyment is secondary to that of real, tangible characters, you sow the seeds of frustration later on when the Terminators feel that their threat to players is ultimately illegitimate. It feels more akin to the administration of the server is a bunch of dungeon masters in a Dungeons & Dragons game, and the Terminators are the mobs.

Perhaps Nebulous could tackle that issue a bit better than TnB simply because of how much weight TnB places on the concept of a character and thus PKs outside of negligence are typically a result of willful surrender of one's own character arc. To do otherwise would be counter to the rp culture that TnB has fostered over the years, so perhaps a community with a far different perspective on characters and roleplaying overall may strike a better chance of making the setting work.

I've no idea if this is genuinely being considered or if it's just to kind of shoot the shit and see what sticks as far as new settings for Nebulous, but if you do try Terminator RP I wish you guys the best of luck. Don't take my words as discouragement, I'm still just somewhat sour that I couldn't "fix" TRP in our go of it.

Last edited:

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
iirc tnb actually ripped the 800 models from resistance to use? i recall seeing smth about that
no iirc they were planning on it but their models are still the REALLY old ones that dave got from god knows where

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
TnB Terminator RP's biggest pitfall was the fact that one of the two factions in the server consisted of noncharacters; a problem I spent two years trying to fix as a player, then as an admin, then as one of the community's leaders, and ultimately gave up. One could argue that some of the issues were largely a result of Dave Brown sticking to his guns on some things I think many would have wished he hadn't, but I think Terminator is more or less engineered in that way given the nature of SkyNET in the setting.

As a result, you have a server that is nonautonomous: Rather than Half-Life where a mutual opposition between the Resistance and the Combine colliding with one another creates its own roleplay, its own plots and its own goals, Terminator is entirely on manual; requiring constant pushes from the administration to keep it going, something that I have always found to come with diminishing returns and almost entirely results in eventual ritualistic burnout. The big reasons TnB's TRP lasted for as long as it did despite the server being on manual was because the servers that were put up alongside it for its duration failed for unrelated reasons. While I have many fond memories of TRP, its longevity was honestly a result of those servers offering intermission and reprieve from the setting time and again, which made a return to TRP wash away the boredom and repetition that had set in prior. That dumb luck kept TRP going for nearly three years more than anything else, really.

The server's overall day-to-da experience depends on people playing as setpieces for other player's enjoyment, but since the Terminator player's own enjoyment is secondary to that of real, tangible characters, you sow the seeds of frustration later on when the Terminators feel that their threat to players is ultimately illegitimate. It feels more akin to the administration of the server is a bunch of dungeon masters in a Dungeons & Dragons game, and the Terminators are the mobs.

Perhaps Nebulous could tackle that issue a bit better than TnB simply because of how much weight TnB places on the concept of a character and thus PKs outside of negligence are typically a result of willful surrender of one's own character arc. To do otherwise would be counter to the rp culture that TnB has fostered over the years, so perhaps a community with a far different perspective on characters and roleplaying overall may strike a better chance of making the setting work.

I've no idea if this is genuinely being considered or if it's just to kind of shoot the shit and see what sticks as far as new settings for Nebulous, but if you do try Terminator RP I wish you guys the best of luck. Don't take my words as discouragement, I'm still just somewhat sour that I couldn't "fix" TRP in our go of it.
Oh, I know; trust me, I don't actually expect any of this to come to fruition and I don't for a second think we could actually do it any better, not without months of planning and extensive combing through as many on-paper issues as possible - even then, I could see tremendous issues a few months in.

At the end of the day I don't expect this to happen, I just adore the setting and love writing about it; I think nebulous could easily give it a shot, though, if we really went out of our way and got some backing behind it.

I appreciate your input TRP-god slug.

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
damn you'd think t800s would be packing some way of noticing people
in our lore they'd be FAR more perceptive than this, substantially more; they're just blind in the game for the sake of gameplay

in actuality T-800's are incredibly perceptive, extremely sensitive to noise; hiding from an 8xx series is next to impossible unless there's something else more pressing, that or you just so happened to already be hiding and you're able to stay almost entirely silent

obviously you have to consider leniency here and there from an RP point of view, reward people for being smart etc

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
POV: You are a model T-800 in the swamps of Maryland, not quite past the mason dixon yet... but then you hear it

It sounds from everywhere.. you are a machine, yet you feel fear for the first time

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
in our lore they'd be FAR more perceptive than this, substantially more; they're just blind in the game for the sake of gameplay

in actuality T-800's are incredibly perceptive, extremely sensitive to noise; hiding from an 8xx series is next to impossible unless there's something else more pressing, that or you just so happened to already be hiding and you're able to stay almost entirely silent

obviously you have to consider leniency here and there from an RP point of view, reward people for being smart etc
adding onto this

the behaviour you see out of the 800's in terminator: resistance is almost perfect for what a 700 would behave like; search patterns, movement, perception etc - on the dot for 700's. 600's are even more retarded.

800's move more fluidly, especially 850's.