The Current State of Civil Protection: A Critique

Status
Not open for further replies.

OskarDemus

Proton
Nebulae
i will just say this - i've had a chance to be on both sides of this and one of the main driving aspects of OOC competitiveness is that its something that occurs on both sides

some rebel circles, particularly the ones that care about being efficient at s2k, continuously hurl taunts at the combine faction based on s2k that seem to have out of character roots and there seems to be no way for it to end with mutual respect. if the combine lose, they're often mocked for it, and if they ever happen to win, complaints of the game being unbalanced flood us in short order - until such a time we tweak things to swing it back in their favor, and the ridiculing starts again

the only way to prevent the faction from being reduced to punching bags under that kind of treatment is to appoint people who can put up a fight in s2k to the important positions

this is not to say there aren't people on combine side who won't try to instigate the same insipid back and forths - but it is easier to moderate these behaviors in a whitelisted faction than the other way around. but that's not going to happen until the other side makes it easy

there needs to be more sportsmanship on both sides. more "damn, we got fucked" and "shit, you got us good." people who try to ridicule their own faction members or the opposing side for underperforming in laggy cs go replica need to get out - there's a reason we stopped putting an emphasis on s2k to influence the story
Also "Laggy CSGO Replica" nah I feel like I'm playing an RTS with some of these maps clocking in single digit fps with the lerp being even lower

Reactions: List

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
i say pull out the problem at the root and replace s2k with a conflict resolution system that doesn't rely on OOC skill

i offered to write up a system to @Numbers but until the playerbase stops being "woe is me" about s2k while simultaneously refusing any alternative idk why the fuck people keep complaining about a problem they then, in the same sentence, refuse to fix
it’s not this

whatever system we use, people will still be just as bad OOCly

Flop

Secret dingus man
Nebulae
Also "Laggy CSGO Replica" nah I feel like I'm playing an RTS with some of these maps clocking in single digit fps with the lerp being even lower
S2k is literally impossible for me, join server: Play decently for couple minut- AUTO-DISCONNECT.

Flippy

stoner rp
Nebulae
there needs to be more sportsmanship on both sides.
How about not allowing "XD COOL EDITS" on kill clips made only to mock the victim in the video? That'd go a really long way to stomping out the bitterness of a defeat.

Was done back in the day (even by myself at some points) and it got banned outright back then for causing too much shit. Not really sure why we don't enforce that anymore.

(Just before someone points out the fact I made one for the OTA I killed, I went on to mock myself for getting yeeted so bad by @ovxy in that very same video. Im more so referring to 'look how good i am at s2k and look how shit they are" kind of things).

OskarDemus

Proton
Nebulae
S2k is literally impossible for me, join server: Play decently for couple minut- AUTO-DISCONNECT.
that event we took part in yesterday you were ADing in the car when nothing was happening, the current map is yikes for people with lower-end rigs

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
it’s not this

whatever system we use, people will still be just as bad OOCly

idk man, it seems like a nebulous problem and not an inherent issue with gmod or roleplay, like some people seem to think

I've been part of many servers, both on gmod, off gmod, that used varying different styles of conflict resolution like P2L, rolls, asking for an admin to just manage the fight, and pseudo-S2K in that you have to do weird lightsaber combat or some other quirky mechanic

Gunsmoke, respite, begotten, many discord servers, many ttrpgs, etc, and I've rarely if ever encountered the levels of spite and competition and shit-talking that nebulous has

its not that 'P2L never works," its that nebulous as a whole doesn't want P2L to work, alongside any other alternative

Flop

Secret dingus man
Nebulae
that event we took part in yesterday you were ADing in the car when nothing was happening, the current map is yikes for people with lower-end rigs
Still confuses the hell outta me as to why NOW, when couple weeks prior it weren't happening on this map, eitherway it makes me dread going out on PT's for the wrong reason, so my only way of enjoying is passiveRP till it somehow fixes itself.

Nebulae
I play on both Combine and rebel side, and I haven't really seen this happen in terms of the OOC making fun of each other. I could be wrong and it could be just be people I don't interact with.

it absolutely happens, and it doesn't take a lot of digging to see it. i've witnessed that sort of disdain multiple times when speaking to rebels in private, and rank leader chat is infamous for being a breeding grounds for it on its own.

some people regard that sort of competition to be in 'good fun', but every so often it all of a sudden isn't, one side gets too passionate about it, and then we're left to pick up the scraps because either the combine have stepped way over the line with something they weren't supposed to do, or the rebels threaten to quit if they don't get million RPGs and gordon freeman on their doorstep tomorrow

How about not allowing "XD COOL EDITS" on kill clips made only to mock the victim in the video? That'd go a really long way to stomping out the bitterness of a defeat.

Was done back in the day (even by myself at some points) and it got banned outright back then for causing too much shit. Not really sure why we don't enforce that anymore.

we should

OskarDemus

Proton
Nebulae
idk man, it seems like a nebulous problem and not an inherent issue with gmod or roleplay, like some people seem to think

I've been part of many servers, both on gmod, off gmod, that used varying different styles of conflict resolution like P2L, rolls, asking for an admin to just manage the fight, and pseudo-S2K in that you have to do weird lightsaber combat or some other quirky mechanic

Gunsmoke, respite, begotten, many discord servers, many ttrpgs, etc, and I've rarely if ever encountered the levels of spite and competition and shit-talking that nebulous has

its not that 'P2L never works," its that nebulous as a whole doesn't want P2L to work, alongside any other alternative
I don't mean to be rude, but everyone keeps bringing up the Shittalking and spite aspect, I haven't seen people doing this with active malicious intent do you have any example or can you atleast tell me where I can find these myself?

OskarDemus

Proton
Nebulae
it absolutely happens, and it doesn't take a lot of digging to see it. i've witnessed that sort of disdain multiple times when speaking to rebels in private, and rank leader chat is infamous for being a breeding grounds for it on its own.

some people regard that sort of competition to be in 'good fun', but every so often it all of a sudden isn't, one side gets too passionate about it, and then we're left to pick up the scraps because either the combine have stepped way over the line with something they weren't supposed to do, or the rebels threaten to quit if they don't get million RPGs and gordon freeman on their doorstep tomorrow

we should
So people aren't being toxic to each other openly but rather in private to one another?

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I don't mean to be rude, but everyone keeps bringing up the Shittalking and spite aspect, I haven't seen people doing this with active malicious intent do you have any example or can you atleast tell me where I can find these myself?

rebel discord server, the screenshot thread, probably the cop discord server but i haven't been there

you only need to look at the last 3 pages to find an example
hell i literally saw last night a video of someone getting fucking dunked on by a squad of CPs who all then started spamming <:: Haha. ::> afterwards, yeah like that's IC in any way

Flippy

stoner rp
Nebulae
I really don't want to go as far as naming and shaming, but yes, I can confirm as a staff member, I have seen it first hand. Fuck me it even happens in op chat sometimes lol

Trains

HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae

its a small group of very annoying people

OskarDemus

Proton
Nebulae
rebel discord server, the screenshot thread, probably the cop discord server but i haven't been there

hell i literally saw last night a video of someone getting fucking dunked on by a squad of CPs who all then started spamming <:: Haha. ::> afterwards, yeah like that's IC in any way
Okay so I see where I got confused, when Toxicity was brought up I assumed you meant the old way of were you would dm the person or in a public platform say something along the lines of "Get fucked" or "you suck ass"

Trains

HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Okay so I see where I got confused, when Toxicity was brought up I assumed you meant the old way of were you would dm the person or in a public platform say something along the lines of "Get fucked" or "you suck ass"
mate

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

this server at this point consists of mostly 20 year olds to which the level of flaming has progressed past CoD tier slapstick slander

everyone is pretty good at hiding their insults in funny meme mp4 files

OskarDemus

Proton
Nebulae

right the video's, I cant comment on others who made them, but I have a few from a few of the major events where s2k happened, and I can say that I have no mean intent, its something cool that happened and I wanted to share it with my friends, I think if people wanted to be really toxic when it came to frag clips you would @ the people you would kill or something

Flippy

stoner rp
Nebulae
In a perfect world, if someone had an issue with you or what you did, they'd just come to you outright and say it. That way you can talk about it and stomp out any misunderstandings - it's why @Appetite Ruining Kebab will always have my respect for doing that very thing with me.

Instead, we have the backhanded comments in Discord, on ROOC, in op chat or meme videos being made to mock. What could have been sorted with a civil conversation, has grown into spite and hate by both sides. And man does that suck.

Nebulae

that sort of thing does happen IC a lot over radio channels and /yells, and while yes IC hostility is absolutely permitted, sometimes the way people type and the lengths they take it just seem like they're trying to sneak in OOC antagonism that they wouldn't have been able to get away with openly, which is still a problem whether or not it's 'technically' allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.