Serious The Epic Games Store is good for gaming, change my mind

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
you do realise that it is absolutely fucking irrelevant whether a game has or doesnt have lootboxes, if the game is unliked due to reason a,b,c then it will stay unliked. i dont like gambling practices anymore than you do but i'm not willing to fling shit all over a game just because of one feature that relies entirely on self-control.

on another note, apex is liked because it has a better appeal to people that arent prepubescent kids while fortnite appeals massively to kids. ofcourse its going to get shit flung at it when its major playerbase is literally children and partly because its annoying to hear about fortnite, a game you dont care about, everywhere you go on the internet
I consider it relevant. Fortnite is for the masses and Apex ‘might’ be liked but their numbers don’t reflect that opinion.

steambored

Make no mistake, this is a one-way trip.
Nebulae
I consider it relevant. Fortnite is for the masses and Apex ‘might’ be liked but their numbers don’t reflect that opinion.
you can hide behind the "i believe its relevant" but looking at it from an entirely different perspective its irrelevant. the main thing people hate is when something interferes with the fun of the game. were you to switch out lootboxes for another feature as bad as it, it would get hated just about the same. remember the reason why battlefront 2 had such a huge controversy from lootboxes in the first place, it tried to place itself in the place of a proper progression and leveling system, if it stayed as a customization thing, nobody would have batted such a hateful eye, it would have been scorned but would never have gotten a backlash because it would have been the same as csgo

i believe lootboxes should never be in a game you payed 60 dollars for, but to seriously think that lootboxes are relevant to a games enjoyment is just plain retarded, even if apex didnt have lootboxes and was a proper game it would still have never received the same backlash as fortnite did, a game without lootboxes.

steambored

Make no mistake, this is a one-way trip.
Nebulae
in the end, i believe the main source of issue isnt the lootboxes but the companies themselves with their obligation to shareholders to increase profit and lootboxes were the result of that very notion of increasing profit. greed is the largest issue surrounding the gaming industry and its spreading like cancer, the same applies to epic store. it wont solve the main issue in the gaming industry just because it only takes 13% of revenue from developers. several other issues, tight deadlines, crunch time, money spent on false advertisement instead of development there are so many issues within gaming industry that believing that epic store is going to help the industry is just optimistic at best and i dont expect epic store to result in better games just because of a little bit more revenue money

Dr Heckyll

Molecule
Nebulae
The Epic Games "Store" is so broken/barebones, any games from devs/publishers who don't want to participate in the recent Sale have to be temporarily pulled from the shop. Point in case, Paradox did not want VtMB2 to be in the sale, so it's been pulled from the store

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
The Epic Games "Store" is so broken/barebones, any games from devs/publishers who don't want to participate in the recent Sale have to be temporarily pulled from the shop. Point in case, Paradox did not want VtMB2 to be in the sale, so it's been pulled from the store
They were given notice well in advance but didn’t opt-out of the sale, two games were pulled due to deals with other stores requiring same price. The games aren’t even discounted, Epic are just covering $10 on each purchase.

Dr Heckyll

Molecule
Nebulae
They were given notice well in advance but didn’t opt-out of the sale, two games were pulled due to deals with other stores requiring same price. The games aren’t even discounted, Epic are just covering $10 on each purchase.
I'm just saying it's not that good when you can't even individually cancel a sale and literally need to pull something

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I'm just saying it's not that good when you can't even individually cancel a sale and literally need to pull something
If nobody opted out, they didn’t need that feature to be live by that time; it’s not exactly their fault that those with deals with other stores didn’t choose to opt-out when they should’ve.