Serious The Epic Games Store is good for gaming, change my mind

jooni

VAPORWAVE
Nebulae
EGS is lacking a lot of features that we'd consider essential now, but they're just starting out. Dealing with financial stuff (payment systems, regional pricing, refunds, etc) is their main priority - they're a store after all. They'll need time to implement features and pass them through QA to make sure it works well. They have their public roadmap, and if my own anecdotes with their work on Unreal Engine are worth anything, they hit their targets most of the time. Let's not forget that Steam didn't have refunds until just a few years ago - different priorities for different platforms.

Steam was basically at the same feature level when it was the same age as the Epic Launcher.

..and the downtimes were far worse.. people don't know or don't remember when Steam was cancer compared to shoving in a disc, til your disc fucked up from cheeto dust.

Reactions: List

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
didnt they just now add a search bar
Yeah but a month ago they had like 10 games so I dunno lol
[doublepost=1553206978][/doublepost]
Steam was basically at the same feature level when it was the same age as the Epic Launcher.

..and the downtimes were far worse.. people don't know or don't remember when Steam was cancer compared to shoving in a disc, til your disc fucked up from cheeto dust.
I'm still shocked that we still have "patch tuesday" where the entire network goes down for maintenance

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
Does the epic store have always online DRM?
I don't believe EGS has any mandatory DRM but I could be wrong

proper offline mode in the road map for april
But Steam is also DRM, bear in mind.
Offline mode is fully functional - their trello mentions improvements to offline mode, basically just quality of life stuff but the functionality is there

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
A lot of posts against Epic but not many who respond here to even attempt to change your mind, seems kinda strange.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
A lot of posts against Epic but not many who respond here to even attempt to change your mind, seems kinda strange.
I figure its a lot of people frustrated about exclusives and wanted to vent.
Personally not gonna give them shade for that.

metropaun

hass ist keine emotion sondern ein zustand
Nebulae
I figure its a lot of people frustrated about exclusives and wanted to vent.
Personally not gonna give them shade for that.

we've been dealing with exclusives for a long time now, with launchers like origins or battle.net

but you certainly know that games made by blizzard will 100% only come out on battle.net, and EA games also 100% come out on origin

with steam and epic games its now gonna be a gamble if the game you really want is gonna come out on either of the two, because i don't think alot of devs will put it on both stores

not tryna throw shit at epic store here, I don't mind it. Been using the launcher for over a year now because i play alot of fortnite (nohatepls)
i also really like how epic gives you a free game every 2 weeks, really nice :)

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
I just want all the games to be on the library of my choice. I don't want to have a divorced game library as someone with 200 steam games.

I will never look at any other game store as a plus when I'm over 1600$ in on this account.

Steam is the future of VR.

VR is the future of gaming.

I won't bring up the lack of features in comparison to Steam, nor the alleged info grabbing or w/e because I really don't care about either of those.

I also can't blame Epic Games for not having a system ready to compete with Steam, but I do agree with the idea that they should be spending money on developing their platform before paying off publishers to try and get people to migrate on over.

Let's just let both platform cut deals and compete with the game developers, not the marketplace itself.

PandaCG

Hates Combine for Kill Family
Nebulae
I just want all the games to be on the library of my choice. I don't want to have a divorced game library as someone with 200 steam games.

I will never look at any other game store as a plus when I'm over 1600$ in on this account.

Steam is the future of VR.

VR is the future of gaming.

I won't bring up the lack of features in comparison to Steam, nor the alleged info grabbing or w/e because I really don't care about either of those.

I also can't blame Epic Games for not having a system ready to compete with Steam, but I do agree with the idea that they should be spending money on developing their platform before paying off publishers to try and get people to migrate on over.

Let's just let both platform cut deals and compete with the game developers, not the marketplace itself.
pick up the GoG launcher then, or Discord, or Geforce Experience. GoG is DRM free, and you can connect your accounts from Steam, Epic, etc. and it'll port your games over all into one library. Unless you're collecting games, why are you actively keeping yourself from enjoyable experiences? Is it that deep? I'm coming up on about 700 games now on my steam library and I don't see an issue with it

steam isn't the future of VR, I can tell you that right now. Epic is as much a VR entrepreneur as steam and oculus is (which both have their separate stores just like steam)

the marketplace needs competition, and a healthy competition at that. what most people are complaining about (including you) are those developers; those developers influence the market. most tech companies wouldn't be where they are now if it weren't for competition (hulu vs netflix, apple music vs spotify, etc). what makes gaming so different from the examples listed

Bronn

Atom
Nebulae
steam is better cause i can use the cash terminal at the metro station to feed into gaben's wallet

Josh

Nucleus
Nebulae
epic games: steam is a monopoly and MUST be DESTROYED

also epic games: *brings console exclusives to their own platform only, giving them a monopoly*

other than that contradiction i have zero problems with what they're doing

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I like steam because of the workshop, friendlist and other functions.

Epic Games is good news because choice is good, and as long as they try to make steam wake up. Steam will upgrade if not they might loose. Just as a reminder afaik if you download Epic Launcher you can turn off auto-start so you can just activate it when you are going to play a game AND you can add that game to your steam list if you really want. It’s the same thing with Ubisoft games, they still link to their shitty uPlay launcher.

epic games: steam is a monopoly and MUST be DESTROYED

also epic games: *brings console exclusives to their own platform only, giving them a monopoly*

other than that contradiction i have zero problems with what they're doing

That’s not how a monopoly works.

Josh

Nucleus
Nebulae
That’s not how a monopoly works.

'the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.'

by bringing console exclusives over to pc sold solely on their platform, they are controlling the supply of them in the pc gaming market, therefore holding a monopoly for them

i'm talking solely about pc gaming, not games as a whole market

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
'the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.'

by bringing console exclusives over to pc sold solely on their platform, they are controlling the supply of them in the pc gaming market, therefore holding a monopoly for them

i'm talking solely about pc gaming, not games as a whole market

No, holding a monopoly would mean everyone needs to come to you to buy /all/ games. So you can therefore dictate the price, having exclusive games is a separate thing. Not even steam had a complete monopoly since Origin was a thing (still made shit ton of money do)

PandaCG

Hates Combine for Kill Family
Nebulae
took a scroll through the old twitter & reddit and found out the majority of replies to posts relating to Epic in any positive light (for instance, PC Gamer sharing the news that The Witness is being given out for free on Epic) is reacting to Epic & their launcher with harsh hostility

(edit: images that i forgot to grab)
bd62ec692c06ca9295883d6a932a7dd0.png

f7fdccf469b0016b9c32e76049421f6b.png

88d6baf21d3e274c96c58ca831c927a7.png

aa6d8956c8111954cb1f11596b159fc7.png

946ff0526d315989e3fecfff158cfe84.png
2a48edf5c3b04a40cebbcd4b6a774ac8.png
d48c70006a26ea3dced7bbe5a14515ff.png

that isn't cherry picking either. i just typed in "epic store" and scrolled through threads.

by this point people just have to be looking for any reason to want to hate something right now. i've read a buffet's worth of complaints and criticism on why people absolutely refuse to use, accept, or even think about supporting Epic's launcher. it literally just comes down to most just being too ignorant, lazy, paranoid, or even just bandwagon for the heck of it because Epic's on a roll after Fortnite and nobody likes that because, as i said, people want to find something to cause shit about

in a semi related note, gamer culture is the worst concept created by man

and that's that on that
7a582a15da88204dc9e02b224e7f62ed.png

Last edited:

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
tbh its all about that gog galaxy for me brother

epic games store is good for a competitive market and there's literally no counter claim to that