Serious The Epic Games Store is good for gaming, change my mind

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
You pretty much explained the reason why Epic has to resort to exclusives in order to get people to use their platform. You're already complacent with the large library you have and wont be changing, probably even if there's another objectively better platform; it's too much of a hassle. I'm not saying EGS is objectively better, but they still need some pull factor for their platform because feature parity isn't strong enough.

A huge factor for me is the fact it has a market with skins you can resell for Steam credit.

As someone who made 750$ on a pair of CSGO gloves and went on to make my library beautiful, pick up a lot of unbelievably good games for my future rig.

Steam has given me everything I've ever wanted in a platform besides HL3.

Reactions: List

Bronn

Atom
Nebulae
A huge factor for me is the fact it has a market with skins you can resell for Steam credit.

As someone who made 750$ on a pair of CSGO gloves and went on to make my library beautiful, pick up a lot of unbelievably good games for my future rig.

Steam has given me everything I've ever wanted in a platform besides HL3.

i love it when a new case drops on csgo and i resell it for 10-20$

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
what the fuck is that disgusting looking thing

How else are they gonna attract people to their platform though? Everyone would just rather use steam anyways considering how convenient it is to never make the switch. Plus, you can just add it as a non-steam game and never touch the epic launcher again if it's that much of a problem
idk man its just personal preference
i dont get the hate against people who just prefer to use other platforms

im not even the guy who likes steam the most, if anything i prefer discord and their storefront more, tend to launch my games from there and etc

i just think it's foul practice, anti-consumer
i prefer consumer friendliness over one company possibly having yet another launcher and storefront but hey thats just me

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
idk man its just personal preference
i dont get the hate against people who just prefer to use other platforms

im not even the guy who likes steam the most, if anything i prefer discord and their storefront more, tend to launch my games from there and etc

i just think it's foul practice, anti-consumer
i prefer consumer friendliness over one company possibly having yet another launcher and storefront but hey thats just me
But Discord literally do timed exclusives also.

axido

whatttttttt
Nebulae
it might kick valve in the ass so they do something with steam, that's good

the only thing i'd use the epic store for is to buy & play a few games and that's it, it lacks a lot of good community features and other things that steam has pretty solidly established already so it's not suitable for me personally

competition is healthy for innovation

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
But Discord literally do timed exclusives also.
I haven't noticed any unless you count those small free to play turds

which to me as a consumer is nowhere near as big a deal as for example the next anticipated Obsidian game

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I haven't noticed any unless you count those small free to play turds

which to me as a consumer is nowhere near as big a deal as for example the next anticipated Obsidian game
Nope, "Last Year: The Nightmare" is not a free to play game and is a timed exclusive to Discord.

You can't give a free pass just because it's a smaller game because you must still consider that anti-consumer; It doesn't matter the size or audience of the game when you're disagreeing with the practise.

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
Nope, "Last Year: The Nightmare" is not a free to play game and is a timed exclusive to Discord.

You can't give a free pass just because it's a smaller game because you must still consider that anti-consumer; It doesn't matter the size or audience of the game when you're disagreeing with the practise.
first ive heard of it

cant even find it?

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
No, holding a monopoly would mean everyone needs to come to you to buy /all/ games. So you can therefore dictate the price, having exclusive games is a separate thing. Not even steam had a complete monopoly since Origin was a thing (still made shit ton of money do)

it's still ransoming the fresh 'exclusives' for a one-year period and hoping enough people impulse buy to justify the inane offers they make to the publisher

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
it's still ransoming the fresh 'exclusives' for a one-year period and hoping enough people impulse buy to justify the inane offers they make to the publisher

Yeah, but it’s not a monopoly, if we ever had a true 100% monopoly we would be all fucked.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Yeah, but it’s not a monopoly, if we ever had a true 100% monopoly we would be all fucked.

it's a one-year exclusivity deal, even if it was offered on other non-standard sites like origin it wouldn't be as bad as it is now

as a short-term gain deal it only invites PR issues instead of fostering actual competition, which requires more exclusives to generate a cashflow given the PR issues are dragging down long-term profits, rinse and repeat

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
it's a one-year exclusivity deal, even if it was offered on other non-standard sites like origin it wouldn't be as bad as it is now

as a short-term gain deal it only invites PR issues instead of fostering actual competition, which requires more exclusives to generate a cashflow given the PR issues are dragging down long-term profits, rinse and repeat
Except games like The Outer Worlds is on the Windows Store too so what you're saying is it's not that bad.

They're investing in games by fronting enough money to show the publisher/developer they are serious about their own platform which means that even if sales aren't what they expected to be, they can still afford to continue creating games which is actually fantastic.

The PR issues only exist because a lot of people are spreading false information about data collection and making a massive deal about having to double click a different icon which is kinda funny because I'm betting a majority use multiple platforms for chatting.

It's more surprising that any developers would bother using Valve's platform when Epic are giving them 18% more on every single sale. Metro certainly didn't regret their decision.
Sweeney said that Deep Silver's Metro Exodus is selling 2.5 times better in its first weeks as an Epic Games Store exclusive than its predecessor Metro: Last Light did on Steam.

Akula

Sangheili Bias
Nebulae
imagine thinking Valve never had shady busines dealings or deliberately distributed spyware/malware for a quick buck

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
imagine thinking Valve never had shady busines dealings or deliberately distributed spyware/malware for a quick buck

Imagine thinking company are your friends.

The best a company can be to you is if what they do benefits you. In this case, I believe competition does benefit the market.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I'm not sure it's valid to call a business deal shady unless there's something proven malicious about it.

Neither platforms deliverately distribute spyware or malware but you do definitely grant Valve permission to share processed information just as people were getting mad at Epic for.

Akula

Sangheili Bias
Nebulae
Imagine thinking company are your friends.

The best a company can be to you is if what they do benefits you. In this case, I believe competition does benefit the market.

something something ethical consumption and capitalism and no

I'm not sure it's valid to call a business deal shady unless there's something proven malicious about it.

Neither platforms deliverately distribute spyware or malware but you do definitely grant Valve permission to share processed information just as people were getting mad at Epic for.

Valve has been pretty lassiez faire regarding what's actually allowed on steam, a lot of junk and broken games are still sold, I really wouldn't be suprised if malware got shipped along with it

not to mention all the terrible shit they've allowed and only removed when community outcry reached sufficient levels such as exploitation of children and a literal game about rape

which they only removed because "it presents a risk to our public image"

Valve's made their stance pretty clear that they really don't give a shit what gets shipped as long as it doesn't make them look bad

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Valve has been pretty lassiez faire regarding what's actually allowed on steam, a lot of junk and broken games are still sold, I really wouldn't be suprised if malware got shipped along with it

not to mention all the terrible shit they've allowed and only removed when community outcry reached sufficient levels such as exploitation of children and a literal game about rape

which they only removed because "it presents a risk to our public image"

Valve's made their stance pretty clear that they really don't give a shit what gets shipped as long as it doesn't make them look bad
Yeah I guess that's a fair point. I don't believe malware or spyware was shipped with any of those games though personally.

Akula

Sangheili Bias
Nebulae
Yeah I guess that's a fair point. I don't believe malware or spyware was shipped with any of those games though personally.

I'm not implying that Valve is deliberately shipping malware in some evil scheme, I'm merely saying they've proved they really do not care what goes on Steam as long as it makes them a profit, so I wouldn't be suprised if they looked the other way regarding that kind of thing if it made them a buck