Serious The Epic Games Store is good for gaming, change my mind

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Tim really needs to shut up before he makes things worse
He's said more publicly in the past month than Gabe has in a decade.

Gamers need to look at themselves before they act so entitled. smh

Gabby

Atom
Nebulae
He's said more publicly in the past month than Gabe has in a decade.

Gamers need to look at themselves before they act so entitled. smh
Who are you and what did you do to Alex

Luft

a bad memer
Nebulae
epic games is fighting steam, steam is slowly losing if they dont step up their game with the 'new' UI update thats supposed to come soon

epic games put effort into trying to add games to their platform, which steam has refused to do so i.e bringing detroit become human to PC

Reactions: List

Mancom37

Atom
Nebulae
Afaik you need to have some connections or something with the Chinese government in order to actually have a successful business. If you want to have a product in China, you'll need to have a presence within China (i.e a company) and comply with their own data protection laws which requires all Chinese user data to be held within China itself (i.e using servers in China). This is notoriously difficult to do, and Tencent specializes in connecting a non-Chinese game to a Chinese audience, a market of at least a few hundred million players(!!!). They've done the exact same with PUBG, League of Legends, etc.

I don't know if comparing Tencent to Huawei is really a fair comparison, they're in completely different markets and the issues are quite different as well.

The amount of the company doesn't matter as much as whether or not they own a majority. They have the same power as someone who owns 1% of the company, which is very little at all anyway. Tim Sweeney is still the majority shareholder and still calls the shots. Epic is still owns and is in control of all their data.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not enthusiastic about Epic's involvement with Tencent, but I think it's being blown way out of proportion.

There is more than just having connections with the Chinese Government, you have to comply with their policies that seem to reach a censorship level about anything related to criticisms of the CCP or Xi Jinping. Tencent serves as a simple bridge to bring said games to that huge market but at a of having another Big Brother staring at you and banning your account for mentioning a name of a certain Square too many times.

And I would say that it will reach a point where there is not that many differences between Huawei and Tencent, one sells hardware while the other sells software. Both can be used to spy on anyone.

And yes there is still the law of the majority in terms of shares but 40% is still a big amount of power in decisions, imagine if a game had some sort of criticism against mainland China and requested to be placed on sale in the Epic Games store, that 40% is going to start getting very loud about not accepting it.

Again I have been critical about Riot Games and PUBG in the past yet thankfully I never played those games. When you want to enter the Chinese Market you are going to be sacrificing a lot of PR. Just look at what happened with Google and their Dragonfly project.

Khiel

Molecule
Nebulae
Huawei and Tencent, one sells hardware while the other sells software
tencent invests in companies that sell software

saying 'tencent sells software' is like saying "foxconn make videogames" because their chips are used in PS4s that you can play games on

Mancom37

Atom
Nebulae
tencent invests in companies that sell software

saying 'tencent sells software' is like saying "foxconn make videogames" because their chips are used in PS4s that you can play games on

Tencent literally owns Riot Games, they invest in it till a point where they are the owners the company and are more than glad to comply with any ruling from the CCP if it means they will get some kickbacks

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I think this is a major exaggeration and not really many people to struggle to use those UI's especially since Steam's new library design is also close to Origin/UPlay's
libraryoverviewgdc-1553197094960.png

As long as they keep my left column intact and allow me to modify the looks of the stuff like we can now I'm fine.

Friends list got fucked for me because I had categories and Steam added this stupid game categories stuff.

Deleted member 28

What a pathetic string of words
Nebulae
Steam needs to stop ruining the UI. The new friends list is horrendous and I absolutely hate it

I'm glad that Epic games store might actually provide some competition but steam has essentially been the basis for PC gaming as a whole for a little more than a decade. EGS is going to need to make it worth it to use their platform or I'll just continue being angry over them taking away games from Steam

Gabby

Atom
Nebulae
Steam needs to stop ruining the UI. The new friends list is horrendous and I absolutely hate it

I'm glad that Epic games store might actually provide some competition but steam has essentially been the basis for PC gaming as a whole for a little more than a decade. EGS is going to need to make it worth it to use their platform or I'll just continue being angry over them taking away games from Steam
It's not really competition imo. Competition is "Hey we have the same game but at a even lower price with more user features!" not "We have a game that that would be the same price on there but only we have it."

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
It's not really competition imo. Competition is "Hey we have the same game but at a even lower price with more user features!" not "We have a game that that would be the same price on there but only we have it."
Except you can’t have different prices on different platforms. Nobody will use Epic if the game is on both because you’re already fully invested in Steam since that’s where your current game library is.
[doublepost=1553705001][/doublepost]Entertainment competes for content, this is exactly the same as what Amazon/Netflix, Xbox/PlayStation and even cinemas compete for exclusive showings of a movie for a week or two.

Gabby

Atom
Nebulae
Except you can’t have different prices on different platforms. Nobody will use Epic if the game is on both because you’re already fully invested in Steam since that’s where your current game library is.
[doublepost=1553705001][/doublepost]Entertainment competes for content, this is exactly the same as what Amazon/Netflix, Xbox/PlayStation and even cinemas compete for exclusive showings of a movie for a week or two.
Expect GOG has most of the same games that Steam has, and most people use both. Plus trying to recreate the console wars on PC is the dumbest thing people could do and just creates tribalism like we're seeing now. And what I mean by "cheaper prices" is stuff like special sales, a game will be more affordable during the sale than the other platform.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Expect GOG has most of the same games that Steam has, and most people use both. Plus trying to recreate the console wars on PC is the dumbest thing people could do and just creates tribalism like we're seeing now. And what I mean by "cheaper prices" is stuff like special sales, a game will be more affordable during the sale than the other platform.
Not exactly console wars though is it

Epic isn't forcing you to shell out 399 just to play outerworlds

Their most successful game is f2p lol

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Most people do not use GOG. That’s fine but they’re not recreating the console wars, launchers are FREE.
[doublepost=1553705789][/doublepost]It must be a big struggle to open the browser for most gamers, clicking that shortcut and then bookmarks takes a lot of time and energy if they’re struggling to open a different launcher (even though they probably use Blizzard, Bethesda and Origin launchers anyway).

There’s a reason AAA moved off Steam and it’s because they refuse to budge on their cut and other services.

Stalker

the very best rp man on planet earth
Nebulae
I love GOG and buy a shit ton of oldies from it but when it comes to recent or even semi recent titles they either don't have them on their store or don't come close to competing with steam in sales for them.

It's more of an alternative rather than any sort of proper competition

Gabby

Atom
Nebulae
Most people do not use GOG. That’s fine but they’re not recreating the console wars, launchers are FREE.
But they're only being exclusive just to be exclusive, there's nothing to gain from it. There is no competition other than making people use a launcher they don't trust or lacks features. I don't trust Epic since they and their CEO come off as massive assholes who just want money. And don't give me the "BUH THEY'RE A COMPANY" crap, no shit; But I wanna be able to TRUST them with my money and I just can't, and a lot of other people feel the same.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
But they're only being exclusive just to be exclusive, there's nothing to gain from it. There is no competition other than making people use a launcher they don't trust or lacks features. I don't trust Epic since they and their CEO come off as massive assholes who just want money. And don't give me the "BUH THEY'RE A COMPANY" crap, no shit; But I wanna be able to TRUST them with my money and I just can't, and a lot of other people feel the same.

Gabe sits in his office playing Dota all day, Tim Sweeney wants to compete with a monopoly and he’s the asshole. What do you think Valve want? Because it’s not to make big hitter games anymore.

A lot of entitled gamers feel the same because their neglected platform Steam is where their games currently are.
[doublepost=1553706526][/doublepost]I hope to see some big title like RDR2 come exclusive to Epic Store. You also allow Steam to sell your data too but “Epic Store bad!” is the current gamer outrage so y’know.
[doublepost=1553706621][/doublepost]https://twitter.com/variety/status/1108418120572698626?s=21

Big bad Epic supporting Humble Bundle!!!