Serious The Epic Games Store is good for gaming, change my mind

Jaf

Thanks, I hate it
Nebulae
I've been a fan of Epic way before Fornite, they provide a good amount of support, tutorials and interact with their community.
I can't help but think that people feel the need to project their dislike of Fornite onto all of Epic.

I can't stand what Fornite has become and represents, but I'm really glad the found success and that the shitloads of money they're making will hopefully help them develop new features for their engine.

Bronn

Atom
Nebulae
I think GOG will win the client race, cause they don't give a shit about either of the two, they even offer game transfers from one platform to another if you like their launcher more :grinning:

Reactions: List

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I think GOG will win the client race, cause they don't give a shit about either of the two, they even offer game transfers from one platform to another if you like their launcher more :grinning:
I don’t think Epic would even be displeased with that. Tim Sweeney has said multiple times he would be happy to lose this “Launcher war” if that Steam’s response is to lower their fees to developers but he’s EVIL don’t listen to HIM.

Bronn

Atom
Nebulae
I don’t think Epic would even be displeased with that. Tim Sweeney has said multiple times he would be happy to lose this “Launcher war” if that Steam’s response is to lower their fees to developers but he’s EVIL don’t listen to HIM.

if epic adds a community market with their own currency like steam has done and make it available to cash terminals to insert money, I think it'd help them improve a lot, but I don't see that happening unless they make a game like CS:GO which can contribute to the market via skins and stuff like that

or make it like GOG that with every purchase, you get a bit of cash into your account for future purchases

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
Games I got nearly free thanks to Steam Market, nearly all of them were on sale too.

dZYc1LE.jpg

0MFDrQl.jpg

Divinity Original Sin 2: 50$
Vigilantes 16$
FO:NV DLC 7$
Hitman full game (waste but fuck it) 67$
Kingdom Come Deliverance:44$
They Are Billions: 23$
Two Point Hospital: 38$
Phantom Doctrine: 34$
Hotline Miami 2: 4$
Poly Bridge: 12$
Bioshow Infinite _ Season Pass :14$
Factorio: 34$
Door Kickers Action Squad: 15$
Bought a friend Rainbox 6 Siege: 14$
Total War Warhammer II: 36$
Oriental Empire: 11$
2670 Siege Credits: 26.99$
Bad North : 16$
Grim Dawn: 10$
Siege Year 3 Pass 40$
Age of Mythology
Deus Ex GOTY
Into the Breach
Atom RPG
Stalker Pripyat All above were 44$ total
Subnautica: 22$ (bought in spite of it being free on epic store)
Sudden Strike 4: 16$
Cossacks 3 bundle 16$
Darkwood 9$
Dark Soul 3 for my friend 17$
Undertale 4$
We the Revolution 20$

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Games I got nearly free thanks to Steam Market, nearly all of them were on sale too.

dZYc1LE.jpg

0MFDrQl.jpg

Divinity Original Sin 2: 50$
Vigilantes 16$
FO:NV DLC 7$
Hitman full game (waste but fuck it) 67$
Kingdom Come Deliverance:44$
They Are Billions: 23$
Two Point Hospital: 38$
Phantom Doctrine: 34$
Hotline Miami 2: 4$
Poly Bridge: 12$
Bioshow Infinite _ Season Pass :14$
Factorio: 34$
Door Kickers Action Squad: 15$
Bought a friend Rainbox 6 Siege: 14$
Total War Warhammer II: 36$
Oriental Empire: 11$
2670 Siege Credits: 26.99$
Bad North : 16$
Grim Dawn: 10$
Siege Year 3 Pass 40$
Age of Mythology
Deus Ex GOTY
Into the Breach
Atom RPG
Stalker Pripyat All above were 44$ total
Subnautica: 22$ (bought in spite of it being free on epic store)
Sudden Strike 4: 16$
Cossacks 3 bundle 16$
Darkwood 9$
Dark Soul 3 for my friend 17$
Undertale 4$
We the Revolution 20$

Did you buy cases to unbox those items?

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
Did you buy cases to unbox those items?
I paid money for the keys, but I understand the point. From a cost-benefit analysis, they've won, I've won, whoever got the gloves won, and we're all happy together. Unlike Fortnite, and Apex, the skins you get in those are not resaleable for other products from that company, thus, I prefer this outcome.

I still have many a few other skins I could sell for another hundred if I wanted to, but I like them. They have cute anime girls with swords on them.

Deleted member 28

What a pathetic string of words
Nebulae
It's not really competition imo. Competition is "Hey we have the same game but at a even lower price with more user features!" not "We have a game that that would be the same price on there but only we have it."
It's still a contender in the video game store market nonetheless. Steam has had 0 competitors other than companies that have made their own launchers to sell their own games (Origin, Battle.net) and up until now, G2A has probably taken the most potential earnings from steam.

The fact that EGS is capable of essentially robbing certain AAA titles from Steam this early must at least be decently frightening. Steam will have to start giving more money to developers soon and/or start some serious improvements to the platform. Once more and more developers start doubling down on EGS, more and more people will start abandoning Steam, which will then cause more developers to abandon steam, and on and on.

Currently for developers, the only thing Steam has going for it is that more people use Steam and therefore they can probably get more sales. Once Steam loses its popularity, there's practically no reason for a developer to chose it over EGS

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
My favourite thing about Epic games store though, is how one of the main guys behind it is the Steam spy.
He was playing the long game.
Definitely the right person for your publishing strategy, his "hobby project" has a lot of data on Steam which must be a big asset for EGS. Some people consider it sketchy but it's public information.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
As I've said before, I don't personally have an issue with devs making deals but I can understand the frustration for folks - especially given some of the games I want I was hoping I could just get on Steam (especially Phoenix Point, the others I can get on console) to save myself the hassle.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
As I've said before, I don't personally have an issue with devs making deals but I can understand the frustration for folks - especially given some of the games I want I was hoping I could just get on Steam (especially Phoenix Point, the others I can get on console) to save myself the hassle.
But you can still get the game just not on Steam, there's no hassle to be saved because the game still comes to PC and ends up being cheaper; Is it too much hassle to install Chrome/Firefox when Edge comes with Windows 10?

Deleted member 28

What a pathetic string of words
Nebulae
But you can still get the game just not on Steam, there's no hassle to be saved because the game still comes to PC and ends up being cheaper; Is it too much hassle to install Chrome/Firefox when Edge comes with Windows 10?
It’s worth the hassle when Chrome is 10x better than Edge though. It’s kind of the same thing here. EGS is missing tons of features that steam has: a shopping cart, reviews, chat system, etc. and a lack of those common online shopping components detracts from the experience quite a bit and only makes me enjoy using Steam that much more.

I’m all for giving developers more money, and I do believe Steam should at least do a 80/20 split for devs. That way devs would get a decent amount of money + the exposure that Steam would get them would outweigh any benefits that an Epic exclusive might bring

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
EGS is missing tons of features that steam has: a shopping cart, reviews, chat system, etc.
Eh? EGS most definitely has a chat system. The review system is being worked on but if anything on Steam is abused it's the review system (see the latest review bomb on Borderlands).

I’m all for giving developers more money, and I do believe Steam should at least do a 80/20 split for devs. That way devs would get a decent amount of money + the exposure that Steam would get them would outweigh any benefits that an Epic exclusive might bring
Tim Sweeney has said he'd be okay with losing this competition to Steam if the end result is Valve's cut being significantly lowered, in theory that's all Valve have to do to win this fight but they don't seem to give a shit.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae

A lot of this is provably false and insanely biased.

• "Chi-Com Spying" doesn't scream complete bias? Not that it matters because it's proven to not be spying so that's incorrect.
  • "Linux/MacOS Support" being YES for Steam is pretty funny because... not really.
  • "Monthly Security Breaches" aka users with bad passwords and not having two-factor enabled and blaming it on the service that someone logged in;
  • "Offline Play" is something that most definitely exists in the Epic Launcher so that's also incorrect.
  • "Two Factor Authentication" also another thing that definitely exists for Epic Launcher.

Sorry but that image is hilariously inaccurate.

Khiel

Molecule
Nebulae
A lot of this is provably false and insanely biased.

• "Chi-Com Spying" doesn't scream complete bias? Not that it matters because it's proven to not be spying so that's incorrect.
  • "Linux/MacOS Support" being YES for Steam is pretty funny because... not really.
  • "Monthly Security Breaches" aka users with bad passwords and not having two-factor enabled and blaming it on the service that someone logged in;
  • "Offline Play" is something that most definitely exists in the Epic Launcher so that's also incorrect.
  • "Two Factor Authentication" also another thing that definitely exists for Epic Launcher.

Sorry but that image is hilariously inaccurate.
wb the other 30 odd features