Serious The Epic Games Store is good for gaming, change my mind

Khiel

Molecule
Nebulae
Steam has been around for 10+ years, nearly 20.

It obviously has a huge advantage

If situations were reversed it'd be the same i reckon
yh i'd rather wait until epic get the same feature set steam has before they start buying out huge exclusives though tbh

not like i dont use epic, i just prefer what steam's got on it RN

Reactions: List

Powley

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
ive got a question

epic games is relatively small right now

so when they get big, what's stopping them just becoming what you hate about steam?

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
wb the other 30 odd features
On the roadmap and doesn't really do much for users, most are almost entirely unused in Steam.
  • 3rd Party Keys is also something that Epic offers.
  • Curation/Curators is done by Epic to ensure they're not allowing asset flips to the store which is far more than Valve are doing at the moment (see Rape Day).
  • Reviews are incredibly flawed as they allow for "review bombs" that are completely unrelated to the game.
  • Broadcasting is a massive joke, nobody uses it for anything outside streaming to 3 friends.
  • Regional Pricing is anothing thing that Epic offers.
I'd go through the rest if it didn't make my eyes literally hurt from how shit the quality is but regardless, a good portion of the listed items are useless or completely inaccurate.

Last edited:

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
just to ask again, are they quite literally buying these exclusivity deals from publishers?
Kinda-sorta.

They're not doing it without the dev's consent or anything, they're just flat-out offering a better deal on games sales and such which for a lot of the smaller studios they've done these deals with is a massive boon in exchange for twelve months exclusivity. They pay the dev's for the deal and give them more of the cut for selling on their platform.

Especially given Steam would otherwise be your main source of income on PC in terms of game sales.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
ive got a question

epic games is relatively small right now

so when they get big, what's stopping them just becoming what you hate about steam?
Nothing and then I'll happily support a competitor if they become a monopoly in the market.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Kinda-sorta.

They're not doing it without the dev's consent or anything, they're just flat-out offering a better deal on games sales and such, which for a lot of the smaller exclusives they've bought is a massive deal in exchange for twelve months exclusivity.
Actually, they don't strictly need the dev's consent

It's publishers who decide the distrubution, as it's them who gave the devs their budget to make the game. Once the game is made, the publisher decides what's the best way to market and sell their product. Epic has literally offered some studios enough money to break even without selling a single copy

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Epic has literally offered some studios enough money to break even without selling a single copy
I think they did this for the World War Z & Phoenix Point guys especially, both of whom just sorta went "Yeah okay this may upset our fans but it is a massive launching pad for our future games/supporting our releases".

Dr Heckyll

Molecule
Nebulae
no, I don't mean a better cut of the profits share, I don't mean the platform literally being more lucrative

I mean, are they literally giving them money? Like, handing them a fat cheque for exclusivity deals? If not, then you know saying that they're buying out exclusives is nonsense and mental gymnastics

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I mean, are they literally giving them money? Like, handing them a fat cheque for exclusivity deals? If not, then you know saying that they're buying out exclusives is nonsense and mental gymnastics
Yeah, they are.

For a lot of smaller publishers they've already given them enough to break even on the game in question, as BQ said.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Yeah they definitely are paying publishers money for an exclusivity deal but the benefit (as Rabid said) is that this is covering some major development costs and ensuring those developers can continue to make games after the release of this one; It might not seem fantastic from a consumer POV but so long as you're open to installing 1 program on your PC then it doesn't change much for you.

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
image0.jpg
PpnMXwx.jpg

Most of these features won't hamper your ability to enjoy your game (most of the exclusives are single-player or basic co-op experiences). Pretty good considering it's only been a few months out the gate
[doublepost=1554510582][/doublepost]Also worth noting that this roadmap only goes out to the end of this year

metropaun

hass ist keine emotion sondern ein zustand
Nebulae
i just went onto bl2 to check the reviews and i saw this big ass list again with one very special point i thought was really funny

"8) They broke EU laws (and still do) "

meanwhile valve
4658aef8f8.jpg

8349a66560.jpg

b6602cabe4.jpg

do people even do research??

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
do people even do research??
Alarmingly no. I see the same shit on Facepunch forums, large groups of people who are vehimently against Epic and citing things like that without looking at the one they're supporting. They'll cite security issues but forget that Valve forums got hacked years ago and they failed to fix a major vulnerability for 10 years but if you respond defending Epic you'll be called a shill most of the time.

Edit: Back in the day, gamers were outraged about Steam existing.

Edit: That former Valve employee made a pretty good argument against those who suggest piracy as a form of protest against EGS; The complaint of EGS being 'spyware' or somehow bad security wouldn't want to be pirating the game instead since that's a much higher likelyhood of containing malware.

Last edited:

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
honestly i'm just a lazy prick and i like having all my shit in one place
Nothing stops Steam lowering their revenue share percentage though, it'd put a massive dent in the strategy that EGS are adopting and the incentive EGS provide. It'd be pretty good for game prices.

keiiou

I asked to be banned
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I'm still much on the fence in this whole thing, but I'm glad that there's finally some real competition for steam here.
Just wanna play cool games, at respectable prices - whilst micro-investing into cosmetics and shit.

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
It's a good launcher, very low-spec. However the community aspect is nowhere near in comparison, and the library size just makes Steam just unbeatable. Epic Games Launcher will never overtake.

Lykaia

this- is my curse
Nebulae
halo coming to steam
nothing else matters to me