The official D&D thread

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
There were several logistical problems.

1. Some dropped out without warning: We get it. Life comes first, but an TTRPG campaign is a commitment. Players should at least give a heads-up of if they are going to leave. ALSO,

2. The game was was rushed: Some players have the ability to be able to constantly monitor the forum, others (like me) work at least 60 hours a week. Players need to understand that a online text based campaign is SLLLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW. You need to give players at least a half a day to respond. Grow up and deal with the pacing - your instagratification is not realistic.

3. Lack of turn clarity: Everyone needs to post their character name when it is their turn. Things get difficult to organize and sometimes you forget when it is your turn or what order is whaaaa? Posting your characters name before hand is heavily important to keep turn order clarity

4. No Party cohesion: There is a reason why " you all meet in a tavern" is considered to be a terrible starting point for a party. First off, it gives no basis of plot. You need to hook the players instantly ("#grabembythemeow). This is done by putting them in a rather tense situation. A tavern is.. well.. Usually not. And no, a bar fight is just meaningless filler unless a significant NPC is presented. Secondly, it gives no incentive to why each party member has a reason to be with each other. Whether it is for a immeasurable amount of wealth or divine message - characters who hate each other or have no connection to each other will never stay together. Part of character creation is buliding each PCs relations towards each other The player and character need to be emotionally invested in the party. Think Burning Wheel, FATEcore, Nobilis. Collaborative character AND worldbuilding is extremely good.

5. Lack of information about the world: Players need to be familiar with the place. It is stupid to think as a GM that characters that have grown their entire lives (some hundreds of years) in the world and yet starting a game they are knowledgless. Again, investement in the world is super super important. Do not expect players to give a shit about the world if have no connection.

6. Make PCs background stories relevant : See above. Emotional investment and clarity as well as visceral feel.

You're joining our game.

Reactions: List

Red Dress

Proton
Nebulae
You're joining our game.

Nah, I did not enjoy last time. There was too much of the notorious "all for one" attitude a lot of GModRP players have. That will not change.

welp
guess im gonna have a lil' bit of a hard time learning 5e but i should be good
count me in fam

e5.0 is super easy to learn. A mix between e3.5 and e.20/adv.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Nah, I did not enjoy last time. There was too much of the notorious "all for one" attitude a lot of GModRP players have. That will not change.

Me and @TheSandiestcomet (And probably @Peter Green) Will make sure that ain't happening.

Most of my characters are either selfless or too dumb to be selfish anyway.

Red Dress

Proton
Nebulae

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I hope our fights are like this.
darths0344_bonus.jpg

Flawed Hero

Proton
Nebulae
I know you guys probably play on R20 but honestly Tabletop Simulator is pretty good to play on to.

Red Dress

Proton
Nebulae
We haven't even got 1 player yet, technically.

Golden number is about 4-6, and since Peter Green's a new DM, he'll probably stay low.

If Peter needs any consulting, I am always available. I have over 14 years of GM and Player experience. My best friend who got me into TTRPGs just died this tuesday, so I have been playing a lot of different one-shots with my friends like Paranoia, Everyone is John, Big Mutherfuking Crab Truckers, Warrior Poet, Lasers and Feelings, and Echo.

I would be happy to despense any advice that is needed.

I recommend checking out RPG Academy one Youtube, amazing advice with solid examples.

TheInnkeeper

Fear the Old Blood
Premium Member
Nebulae
If Peter needs any consulting, I am always available. I have over 14 years of GM and Player experience. My best friend who got me into TTRPGs just died this tuesday, so I have been playing a lot of different one-shots with my friends like Paranoia, Everyone is John, Big Mutherfuking Crab Truckers, Warrior Poet, Lasers and Feelings, and Echo.

I recommend checking out RPG Academy one Youtube, amazing advice with solid examples.
welp
i mean i did already teach him the basics of r20 yesterday from what i know from my time dm'ing on r20
but you're most likely a more reliable source
also i've wanted to play everyone is john for a while now you bastaaaaaaaard

Peter Green

Good People, Good Times
Nebulae

Ah. Thanks a bunch man, I'll hit you up on steam if I need anything!