Serious unofficial HL2RP² launch feedback thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
RP docs as a whole is less popular now, the server's ironically got too much uptime for people to spend their time reading documents

even the most popular docs don't get that much traction

Reactions: List

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
RP docs as a whole is less popular now, the server's ironically got too much uptime for people to spend their time reading documents

also less need for

*stock picture of spas*
*stock picture of gas mask*
*stock picture of stunstick*

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae

I just do fun picture posts with flavor text and music, because I know people won't read my bio lol

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae

the dip started somewhere in 2021/22

transhuman society was the last big one with thousands of views and hundred or so replies, intro to extinctionism gets a mere fraction of the same buzz, it's very sad to see but also totally expected - my writing changed in 2019 with that doc and people got into it and it inspired a lot of other folks to do similar stories and now there is a saturation

we have ironically reached a point where the quality of the written work has improved and competition has never been tougher for people writing stuff on the forums, it's not easy-mode like it was in 2016, i think the real reason is oversaturation and overexposure

something to consider is that the average age of an hl2rpr is now likely to be around 21 or something, as opposed to several years ago when the median age was more like 16 lol, it's not a surprise that the content has gotten more mature, yet as we write things we also dispel mystery and that can have a numbing effect on the reader, i know personally that ive felt a general disassociation towards hl2 as a concept and setting for several years now, im only truly excited when the concepts at work are almost entirely divorced from the source (alplands) and have since 2021 stopped engaging with most hl2 based content in favour of original projects which can exist for as long or as little as i like and always have a preserved sense of soul

Last edited:

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

transhuman society was the last big one with thousands of views of hundred or so replies, intro to extinctionism gets a mere fraction of the same buzz, it's very sad to see but also totally expected - my writing changed in 2019 with that doc and people got into it and it inspired a lot of other folks to do similar stories and now there is a saturation

we have ironically reached a point where the quality of the written work has improved and competition has never been tougher for people writing stuff on the forums, it's not easy-mode like it was in 2016, i think the real reason is oversaturation and overexposure

something to consider is that the average age of an hl2rpr is now likely to be around 21 or something, as opposed to several years ago when the median age was more like 16 lol, it's not a surprise that the content has gotten more mature, yet as we write things we also dispel mystery and that can have a numbing effect on the reader, i know personally that ive felt a general disassociation towards hl2 as a concept and setting for several years now, im only truly excited when the concepts at work are almost entirely divorced from the source (alplands) and have since 2021 stopped engaging with most hl2 based content in favour of original projects which can exist for as long or as little as i like and always have a preserved sense of soul
i literally don’t have the confidence to post any rp doc i’ve ever written because even know i know it’s not true i feel like everyone would make fun of how shit they’d be in comparison to others

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
i literally don’t have the confidence to post any rp doc i’ve ever written because even know i know it’s not true i feel like everyone would make fun of how shit they’d be in comparison to others
we are often the biggest obstacle to our own creativity, but to never try is to never fail and never learn

also - as we have just discussed - there are maybe only a dozen people who read these things reliably now, so it's like shouting in an empty waiting room

TheInnkeeper

Fear the Old Blood
Premium Member
Nebulae

transhuman society was the last big one with thousands of views and hundred or so replies, intro to extinctionism gets a mere fraction of the same buzz, it's very sad to see but also totally expected - my writing changed in 2019 with that doc and people got into it and it inspired a lot of other folks to do similar stories and now there is a saturation

i got back into hl2rp recently [obviously] but i really, REALLY tune and zone out when it stops having that half life feel

i need semi-goofy sci fi shit with the air of 'humans being upbeat during crisis' which is a natural thing we have, rather than dirty depressing dying people complaining all the time and there being no hope whatsovever. its why i like the current iteration being post-freeman, it's exactly what i want in the setting.

if i had it my way i'd get rid of the blacksuit [and thus the shitty gas areas] and have rebels wear individual outfits that look properly slapped together from random shit like they are in the actual games

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
i really, REALLY tune and zone out when it stops having that half life feel

i need semi-goofy sci fi shit
5b710bd8b0a51931164698286926a3e4.png

you do you man

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I think having a goofy sci-fi vibe - to a degree - is actually a nice change because Neb (and LP before it) spent far too long divorcing itself from anything remotely related to the Sci-Fi side, with a few exceptions.

TheInnkeeper

Fear the Old Blood
Premium Member
Nebulae
I think having a goofy sci-fi vibe - to a degree - is actually a nice change because Neb (and LP before it) spent far too long divorcing itself from anything remotely related to the Sci-Fi side, with a few exceptions.
i try to have my characters [event or otherwise] talk and act like actual half-life characters - mostly taking inspiration from russell / alyx banter in hl:a but also some of the rebel dialogue in hl2

Kleiner has a pet headcrab ffs and those things killed almost all of his colleagues, everyone's so chummy despite the impending doom, its great

it feels like people only played the first 5 minutes, heard the guy going 'd-dont drink the water.......' and based the ENTIRE setting around that

slick

give this guy his adm*n back
Nebulae
if it doesnt have peru as a nuclear power, second manifest destiny, and smallpox missiles to paris then im hitting snooze
DO NOT RESEARCH THE BORDER FRAGGING EVENT
100000 DEAD GEOLOGISTS
GOLD TREASURE LOST TO TIME
A NEW ARGENTINIA

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
i try to have my characters [event or otherwise] talk and act like actual half-life characters - mostly taking inspiration from russell / alyx banter in hl:a but also some of the rebel dialogue in hl2

Kleiner has a pet headcrab ffs and those things killed almost all of his colleagues, everyone's so chummy despite the impending doom, its great

it feels like people only played the first 5 minutes, heard the guy going 'd-dont drink the water.......' and based the ENTIRE setting around that
Half-Life always had a weird emotional tone.

I remember Yahtzee Croshaw from Zero Punctuation said it's like if an entire game had aspergers syndrome.

I think it works for it though, everything is so depressing in the setting, what more can the cast do than try to have a positive attitude.

TheInnkeeper

Fear the Old Blood
Premium Member
Nebulae
Half-Life always had a weird emotional tone.

I remember Yahtzee Croshaw from Zero Punctuation said it's like if an entire game had aspergers syndrome.

I think it works for it though, everything is so depressing in the setting, what more can the cast do than try to have a positive attitude.

i dont super agree with the sentiment tbh but i get where he comes from with it. it really works, though

Status
Not open for further replies.