Completed unpopular suggestion: disable 3rd person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
A non-script ban on Third person peeking would be impossible to enforce practically and you would absolutely see people do exactly what the WW3 guys did with bunnyhopping when it was banned:

"Ahem as you can see in my hours of recorded footage, at 1:25 they clearly bunny hopped and as such the entire operation should be voided and the PK's reversed." (no this is sadly not even mildly exaggerated lmao).

On the other side, disabling it entirely means no more cool screenshots and people would get pissed.

Reactions: List

Blitz0012

Proton
Nebulae
Third person peeking would be impossible to enforce practically and you would absolutely see people do exactly what the WW3 guys did with bunnyhopping when it was banned:

"Ahem as you can see in my hours of recorded footage, at 1:25 they clearly bunny hopped and as such the entire operation should be voided and the PK's reversed."

On the other side, disabling it entirely means no more cool screenshots and people would get pissed.
It's not impossible to enforce at all. It can be tricky, I'll give you that but it's easy enough to tell when someone is third person abusing - namely, fights lasting six hours because of a single corner or the guy obviously sitting face into a wall for half the fight. Arguably, yeah, you can hide the abuse by poking round but it is what it is.

Even so, it doesn't even need to be enforced particularly effectively. First, if it's actually against the rules players will do their part to avoid it. Every so often staff and other players just remind their buddies not to do it. Secondly, when the abuse is obvious, it's easy enough to handle with staff discretion - half the time it'll just be staff PMing someone and asking them not to do it.

Now, even if it was impossible to enforce - it still comes out better as less people will do it.

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
I still remain in the opinion that I seriously don't think disabling third person will magically make cool screenshots disappear
They will not disappear, the frag screenshots and clips will still be there, just in 1st person

I think the main thing about this is in regards to combat, and making it more fluid so you do not have both sides sitting behind a corner for 30 minutes endlessly waiting for the opposing force to make a move

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
A non-script ban on Third person peeking would be impossible to enforce practically
p much yeah

AJVOTPc.jpeg

is the cop 3p-peeking or simply hugging the wall?
you can't assume, you might be wrong
you can't tell him to stop, it could disrupt the flow of s2k
you pull the trigger and ban him, he posts a clip of him not 3p-peeking

its especially impossible since serverguard screen-grab was banned or something i dont remember

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
p much yeah

AJVOTPc.jpeg

its especially impossible since serverguard screen-grab was banned or something i dont remember
yeah man it’s impossible to tell

amount of times I’ve seen people staring at a wall in a corner then immediately hitting a perfect shot is insane

Blitz0012

Proton
Nebulae
Easy enough to tell by how the cop engages the rebel. Plus, he's facing full to the left, so his camera wouldn't be able to see anything notable down the corridor anyway. Most third person abuse you'll be staring right at the wall, and just flick to the rebel because you know exactly where they are.

Ideally, it wouldn't even need to be staff doing anything - his buddies in VC or /LOOC just ask him to stop.

Also, even if it was this hard to enforce with specific stuff like your example - at least we can stop the really obvious third person abuse.

You can just talk to the guy.

/pm metrocop-6969 hey, be careful with third person around the corners pls

or, just do an global ooc asking about being careful to everyone - that way you don't screw up one particular guy's flow.

I don't think anyone would be banned for third person abuse - at least, not unless you're constantly doing it.

Now, I'm not in favour of the total loss of 3p - but if it's it's impossible to stop something that's so detrimental to people's enjoyment of s2k - maybe it shouldn't be there? We've got to do something about it - and I'm telling you - it's better this to do something than nothing - and a hell of a lot better than removing it entirely.

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
yeah man it’s impossible to tell

amount of times I’ve seen people staring at a wall in a corner then immediately hitting a perfect shot is insane
that specific case is blatant, but there are many more where it is not so obvious

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
Because it was dogshit to play without, and pulse guns have a muzzle flash that cover half of your screen
good big guns are cumbersome
turn it back off

i just dont want to see everyone running around with their gun in hand again its messing with my aesthetic its messing with my vibe

Gyarik

gu
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Because it was dogshit to play without, and pulse guns have a muzzle flash that cover half of your screen
nah. being forced with the psmg on ineu, i know the muzzle flash is annoyingly large and shit to deal with, but honestly i just cope about it, i'd much rather have this than corner peeking clip number 3285327894

Blitz0012

Proton
Nebulae
I don't even know why it's being used as an example though, since you can't shoot outside of that window lmao

blacksuit has been conditioned
I mean, it's still third person abuse - if not very effective third person abuse.

Just an example why TPA shouldn't have a huge punishment to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.