Completed unpopular suggestion: disable 3rd person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
This is true. Immersion is paramount, therefore I suggest Third Person is removed since you can only see through your eyes.

Trollface_non-free.png
i WILL FIGHT YOU!!!!!!!!!

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
A lot of people use it to take screenshots, and its much more comfortable for some to roleplay in - better field of vision and stuff. It becomes second nature.

Screenshots can be taken externally in other ways. Comfort is only a thing of being used to a certain thing being a certain way, and it's evident moving away from comfort (within reason, of course) has done this community good over the years. Having more field of vision increases the chances of people metagaming "feeling presences behind them" and similar stuff, and the extra FOV isn't exactly fair for those who may be playing it smart to approach other roleplayers while sneaking.

The above would not be an issue at all if third person did not severely undermine another facet of the gameplay in the server, which is s2k. "It's not an S2K server" is a bad argument to be used, sure it's not, but it is a big part of the server gameplay and simply arguing that "it's not an S2K server" doesn't automatically mean we can't accommodate some things for it to be a little less unbearable.

Like if the only thing blocking S2K from being somewhat more bearable by not being a contest on how long people can way hugging a corner before trying to run out and dying to the 70 campers doing the same is a few people's stubborn preference to be able to observe more stuff from behind themselves (not very immersive if you ask me) then why should we keep it? Hell, most people who like third person are not even that extreme on keeping it, they just like it but won't die if they go FP, as far as I've observed and discussed with some.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
How does it improve roleplay exactly?
You've got no idea how much being able to see my own character model helps me get into the role. in the same way that things like Bioware RPGS, Kenshi and MMOs. 1st person screws my brain and makes me think about what I'd do, whereas 3rd person helps me think what the character on screen would do.

Was Getting PK'd part of your master plan?
Surprisingly all my characters are still alive. Not sure how though.

Reactions: List

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Screenshots can be taken externally in other ways. Comfort is only a thing of being used to a certain thing being a certain way, and it's evident moving away from comfort (within reason, of course) has done this community good over the years. Having more field of vision increases the chances of people metagaming "feeling presences behind them" and similar stuff, and the extra FOV isn't exactly fair for those who may be playing it smart to approach other roleplayers while sneaking.

The above would not be an issue at all if third person did not severely undermine another facet of the gameplay in the server, which is s2k. "It's not an S2K server" is a bad argument to be used, sure it's not, but it is a big part of the server gameplay and simply arguing that "it's not an S2K server" doesn't automatically mean we can't accommodate some things for it to be a little less unbearable.

Like if the only thing blocking S2K from being somewhat more bearable by not being a contest on how long people can way hugging a corner before trying to run out and dying to the 70 campers doing the same is a few people's stubborn preference to be able to observe more stuff from behind themselves (not very immersive if you ask me) then why should we keep it? Hell, most people who like third person are not even that extreme on keeping it, they just like it but won't die if they go FP, as far as I've observed and discussed with some.
things dont need to be perfect

s2k isnt that bad on third person. i dont think the 1st/3rd person problem isnt that big of a deal. i just prefer 3rd person in general

sure people look through corners but theres twists in every game

i couldnt care less about how s2k can be perfected, i dont have s2k mentality

Last edited:

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
things dont need to be perfect

s2k isnt that bad on third person. i dont think the 1st/3rd person problem isnt that big of a deal. i just prefer 3rd person in general

sure people look through corners but theres twists in every game

i couldnt care less about how s2k is better, i dont have s2k mentality

Pinning improving s2k as an "s2k mentality" is not just wrong but a bit unfair don't you think

s2k with thirdperson is not bad it's abysmal

You've got no idea how much being able to see my own character model helps me get into the role. in the same way that things like Bioware RPGS, Kenshi and MMOs. 1st person screws my brain and makes me think about what I'd do, whereas 3rd person helps me think what the character on screen would do.

Sounds like it's an issue of having the wrong mentality rather than objectively changing anything. I understand your point and I like third person on those as well, I'm a big fan of both Dragon Age and Mass Effect, but the point of view shouldn't change anything when portraying a character; personally I merely make sure to act as my character would. I am not sure either why it would be such a big issue considering half the server is already a blacksuit or a combine so it's not like you don't have a constant reminder of the general image of characters like your own. I am aware what you present is not exactly an issue that can be put into words, as it's a feeling when playing rather than a physical thing, I get what you mean really, but the difference it would make for the gameplay as a whole severely outweighs it in my opinion.

+ it has nothing to do with people being stubborn or not, its just personal preference. I prefer 3rd person.

It has a lot to do with people's stubbornness when the reason for blocking a major improvement for the majority in a sector of the gameplay (s2k) that whether you think it's the focus or not plays a lot into the enjoyment of the server is "but I don't like not being to see my own back"

You could apply your "things don't need to be perfect" to the fact being able to see yourself is but a preference and not a physical, palpable improvement for the wide majority of the server. Ignoring the fact that s2k plays a huge part into the server's enjoyment doesn't make you better and cooler for being so roleplay focused, it makes you negligent as you turn your back into a key gear of the gameplay that has very obviously taken a way more important role as the iterations changed and that many players are pointing out and are concerned about.

So please quit acting dismissive and above all else, and parroting the same "I am not s2k just shut up and get over yourself" phrase over and over again. You really don't see how unreasonable you sound when you're presented with arguments like Kafe did to me and all you get is a forceful wall and a "get fucked" instead of arguing over the reality of the server.

Besides all of this, you forget if the change isn't that beneficial, it can be just switched back, this is not the end of the world. We've been experimenting with bigger stuff this iteration and your biggest fear now is a switch? Give it a try at least, it's literally the ground this iteration stands on.

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Pinning improving s2k as an "s2k mentality" is not just wrong but a bit unfair don't you think

s2k with thirdperson is not bad it's abysmal

Sounds like it's an issue of having the wrong mentality rather than objectively changing anything. I understand your point and I like third person on those as well, I'm a big fan of both Dragon Age and Mass Effect, but the point of view shouldn't change anything when portraying a character; personally I merely make sure to act as my character would. I am not sure either why it would be such a big issue considering half the server is already a blacksuit or a combine so it's not like you don't have a constant reminder of the general image of characters like your own. I am aware what you present is not exactly an issue that can be put into words, as it's a feeling when playing rather than a physical thing, I get what you mean really, but the difference it would make for the gameplay as a whole severely outweighs it in my opinion.

It has a lot to do with people's stubbornness when the reason for blocking a major improvement for the majority in a sector of the gameplay (s2k) that whether you think it's the focus or not plays a lot into the enjoyment of the server is "but I don't like not being to see my own back"

You could apply your "things don't need to be perfect" to the fact being able to see yourself is but a preference and not a physical, palpable improvement for the wide majority of the server. Ignoring the fact that s2k plays a huge part into the server's enjoyment doesn't make you better and cooler for being so roleplay focused, it makes you negligent as you turn your back into a key gear of the gameplay that has very obviously taken a way more important role as the iterations changed and that many players are pointing out and are concerned about.

So please quit acting dismissive and above all else, and parroting the same "I am not s2k just shut up and get over yourself" phrase over and over again. You really don't see how unreasonable you sound when you're presented with arguments like Kafe did to me and all you get is a forceful wall and a "get fucked" instead of arguing over the reality of the server.

Besides all of this, you forget if the change isn't that beneficial, it can be just switched back, this is not the end of the world. We've been experimenting with bigger stuff this iteration and your biggest fear now is a switch? Give it a try at least, it's literally the ground this iteration stands on.
bro i just dont like 1st person in gmod

its not stubbornness, im just saying theres people who prefer 3rd person and dont give that much importance to whatever issues s2k might have in this case

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
you taking this too fiercely

im done debating my point now, ill be playing the server either way so

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
lmao what

man cant have an opinion now literally 2023

can you stop editing the post half a second after you post it?

its not stubbornness, im just saying theres people who prefer 3rd person and dont give that much importance to whatever issues s2k might have in this case

cool but we're discussing whether it's beneficial or detrimental for the server that's why we're using arguments not sure if you've caught up already

my personal preference is third person too but it's not exactly a

you taking this too fiercely

im done defending my point now, ill be playing the server anyways so

you are the one posting one liners that add nothing to the thread and then editing them 1 second after, you're a bit too tense

and onto this post, you also edited it a second after; you have not defended any points as you haven't presented anything but an opinion though

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
can you stop editing the post half a second after you post it?

cool but we're discussing whether it's beneficial or detrimental for the server that's why we're using arguments not sure if you've caught up already

my personal preference is third person too but it's not exactly a

you are the one posting one liners that add nothing to the thread and then editing them 1 second after, you're a bit too tense

and onto this post, you also edited it a second after; you have not defended any points as you haven't presented anything but an opinion though
bye bye

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I don't care if you want to read it or not but here goes the point:

Reality of the server is you either have to accept that s2k has become a major thing in the server's gameplay and thus you need to accommodate it somehow, or you have to seek ways to severely reduce the amount of s2k that goes in the server so roleplay becomes nearly the only thing you have to be worrying for again (like in past iterations, s2k was shit but it was barely an issue as it almost never happened compared to now).

Last time I checked discussions exist to argue whether something is beneficial or not beyond anyone's personal preferences, especially if you're staff as your personal opinion shouldn't be the driving force of changes for the whole rest of the server.

I do like more roleplay than s2k and of course I like (and prefer) third person but that doesn't change the reality that the server has a lot of s2k and one of the biggest if not the biggest (solvable) issues the server's s2k has is the fact people hug a corner and nothing happens for 1 hour until someone moves and gets obliterated.

This is a suggestion and discussing why it should happen or not fairly and objectively should be the focus, if all we wanted to see here is opinions we'd make a poll lmao.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
holding weapon 1st person is fine
3rd person is good for getting a look at ur playermodel when doing passive :)

Status
Not open for further replies.