Completed unpopular suggestion: disable 3rd person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Nah, 3rd person is great for screenshots + recordings. I wouldn't want it gone and you bet your ass people who can't play in 1st would quit.

Reactions: List

Maytree

Black Hole
Nebulae
Nah, 3rd person is great for screenshots + recordings. I wouldn't want it gone and you bet your ass people who can't play in 1st would quit.
Serious response: I think the devs are able to implement a script to force nearby players into 1st person when someone fires a gun or when someone takes damage to have so that 3rd person would be forcefully disabled when equipping/raising a gun.

I’m actually to know if there’s any players out here who cannot play in 1st person due to hardware issues. We can definitely get their opinions on this.

Last edited:

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I think the devs are able to implement a script to force nearby players into 1st person when someone fires a gun or when someone takes damage.
I cannot imagine how annoying that would be for everyone involved; being in a random area only to have someone fire a bullet and have their view suddenly switch to FP.

Maytree

Black Hole
Nebulae
I cannot imagine how annoying that would be for everyone involved; being in a random area only to have someone fire a bullet and have their view suddenly switch to FP.
That's fair enough. These are just random ideas if the proposal to oblige staff to manually disable 3rd person in certain circumstances won't be satisfactory.

I'm still very adamant of wanting 3rd person completely gone from the server.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
That's fair enough. These are just random ideas if the proposal to oblige staff to manually disable 3rd person in certain circumstances won't be satisfactory.

I'm still very adamant of wanting 3rd person completely gone from the server.
I think the only viable solution really is to disable it entirely or force FP for weapons.

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
So essentially if you have a gun equipped you cant use thirdperson, as solution.

This actually sounds like a perfect idea
I'm still of the opinion that it should be if your weapon is raised, instead of just equipping your gun generally.

Lets you take cool screenshots that way still

Nebulae
Serious response: I think the devs are able to implement a script to force nearby players into 1st person when someone fires a gun or when someone takes damage.

I’m actually to know if there’s any players out here who cannot play in 1st person due to hardware issues. We can definitely get their opinions on this.
A server I frequented before it went full globohomo was Cataclysm and one good thing they did was they had a script where if you raised your gun or had one equipped (can't remember which is which) it'd disable third person view.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
A server I frequented before it went full globohomo was Cataclysm and one good thing they did was they had a script where if you raised your gun or had one equipped (can't remember which is which) it'd disable third person view.
It would legitimately be a near single line of code change to check for a TFA weapon

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I'm still of the opinion that it should be if your weapon is raised, instead of just equipping your gun generally.

If there's a condition to check for that i absolutely agree

Sensei_

Neutrino
Nebulae

No. Regardless of having your weapon raised or not it shouldn’t be allowed at all to use 3rd

I can have my gun equipped but still stand in a corner and use tfp
it takes just 2 seconds to select the primary weapon to raise it

I mean yeah I get your point but restricting that way it won’t be effective

Bilrryso121

Neutrino
Nebulae
I also approve of doing away with it entirely third person has no place in rp pvp. If there was a way to make it so it forces you to go into first person when you equip a weapon like you can in dayz i would be down cause i too like looking at my character but otherwise yeah just get rid of it.

vinny the rat

Proton
Nebulae
which in consequence many fucktards forget about IC fear and rush towards your spot just like rambo ffs

Adding to this, it seems like other IC rules are foregone when in combat. For example, using Discord to communicate with your team/group/faction and pass each other information during combat. I understand trying to communicate via IC chat during combat is cumbersome and puts you at risk of being killed when you stop to type, but this is text book metagaming and encourages the run and gun type of gameplay in which nobody communicates with each other ICly.

But since this thread is about third person and not metagaming, here is a video with examples from a well known Arma 3 community owner explaining why his community has exclusively been first person. To summarize the video, the reason he's against third person in combat is because it allows you to gather knowledge without any consequence. It's not great for PvP gameplay that you can take on risk getting yourself into a good ambush position, just to have your opponent look over/around a wall without exposing themselves and kill you, or not fall into your ambush when they would have otherwise. It also detracts from the intensity of being suppressed/outnumbered.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
Adding to this, it seems like other IC rules are foregone when in combat. For example, using Discord to communicate with your team/group/faction and pass each other information during combat. I understand trying to communicate via IC chat during combat is cumbersome and puts you at risk of being killed when you stop to type, but this is text book metagaming and encourages the run and gun type of gameplay in which nobody communicates with each other ICly.

It's an issue we covered in the past within the staff team already and, yeah, it's kind of textbook metagaming, but it's also incredibly hard to avoid and we'd like to keep it within our reach rather than push people away, so we can tell people who are on Discord to at least relay some information through IC channels both to avoid everything going silent in combat and so those who are not in VC also get the information.

On the topic of bumrushers, 3rd person also forces this somewhat on the attacker's side. Some will have to rush ahead towards the gunfire or else the defenders can just hide and wait. Running from cover to cover, suppressing fire and others are completely useless when people use third person, turning any quick tactics more advanced than using smokes and running basically useless.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
It's an issue we covered in the past within the staff team already and, yeah, it's kind of textbook metagaming, but it's also incredibly hard to avoid and we'd like to keep it within our reach rather than push people away, so we can tell people who are on Discord to at least relay some information through IC channels both to avoid everything going silent in combat and so those who are not in VC also get the information.

On the topic of bumrushers, 3rd person also forces this somewhat on the attacker's side. Some will have to rush ahead towards the gunfire or else the defenders can just hide and wait. Running from cover to cover, suppressing fire and others are completely useless when people use third person, turning any quick tactics more advanced than using smokes and running basically useless.
I try to relay in IC when I can. Sometimes it's physically not possible because of how fast paced it is. But years of Gmod roleplay has given me quick fingers. And knowing VC's *really* helps on the combine side of things because I can just string together 3 things and people know what's going on.

/r hear2;4;dash;null
or
/r taking fire;injured4;

very simple shit that conveys ic. And gives people (cops/other soldiers) something to work with. And gives some ambient chatter for rebels to listen in on which is always cool.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
For example, using Discord to communicate with your team/group/faction and pass each other information during combat. I understand trying to communicate via IC chat during combat is cumbersome and puts you at risk of being killed when you stop to type, but this is text book metagaming and encourages the run and gun type of gameplay in which nobody communicates with each other ICly.
AGREE TO BOTH

Status
Not open for further replies.