Serious Vent Thread

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
Disclaimer: Not talking about people who already worry about these sorts of things, or who simply can't afford to worry. These are all cool in my book. And I'm aware I'm not great in this either, but I'm trying to improve.

You know what I really dislike?
This fricking human tendency to lie to oneself and blind oneself from large-scale problems in the name of "optimism", because, I can only guess, accepting them as a part of reality would make one feel uncomfortable.

Global warming is a thing, yeah? We can all agree on that? So how about worrying a bit more, changing a bit about our lifestyles, being more politically active, actually DOING something, getting actual change done? No, no, let's not worry about that. That's in the fuuture. Or we can't affect anything anyway.

Oh, yeah, we care about people. If we saw someone starving on the street, we would perhaps even get them something to eat. So why don't many more people donate to charities that help people with these sorts of problems? Or any other issues? Why don't more people advocate for legislature pertaining to this? Oh no, but that's far away, let's not worry about that. Yeah, we'll say how terrible it is, we'll actually acknowledge it, if we WERE there, we would care and pity people who need help, but as long as its far, we won't feel too bad not helping as to not inconvenience ourselves, despite actual human LIVES being at stake, the entire worlds and existences of individuals like us. And when they put someone on the television? Yeah, THEN the donations start rolling in, because the issue now has a face we were forced to see, an individual on the same level as us. We are coded to relate to that. But the feeling of dread pertaining to an issue so large we can only do our part, and not much more? Make only a small dent, even if that meant saving people or something of such significance to individuals? Yeah, not worrying about that.

Alright, more controversial time:

Meat. I swear, if you gave people a little lamb or a chick or whatever, they would all cuddle it and love it. But stick it in a factory, where it will live a terrible life full of suffering? Yeah, we don't care. And we'll get angry for you for even trying to change our mind.

The worst bloody thing about this is that if you try to discuss it with some people and point out what they're doing wrong, they'll ditch all logic and reason and start defending themselves with arguments very clearly based on emotions and on what they personally WANT to believe. Now if you oppose me with other opinions and change my mind? I'm alright with that. That's what's important imo.

Not all optimism is bad, either. But the difference between healthy optimism and unhealthy optimism is whether it gives you strength to FACE problems, or if it just makes you ignore said problems because everything is just so bloody fine let's not look into shall we?

Also, I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to take a break from all of this, yeah, the only way to really face reality (at least for me these days) is to only worry about things when it's time to work on them, self-reflect, or plan future actions, not during other work or rest. But you eventually do have to factor these things in. ACKNOWLEDGE that they're a thing.

Sorry for the rant, and feel free to disagree.
I think everyone knows this stuff, it's not like a large majority are inherently blind to it. It's just easier to go with what makes you comfortable than to break a standard or worry about the future. It's human nature to seek a routine and it's a hard thing to break especially when you have to go out of your way. It's not really excusable, it's inherently selfish; but that's how people work.

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
I think everyone knows this stuff, it's not like a large majority are inherently blind to it. It's just easier to go with what makes you comfortable than to break a standard or worry about the future. It's human nature to seek a routine and it's a hard thing to break especially when you have to go out of your way. It's not really excusable, it's inherently selfish; but that's how people work.
Well, that's mostly what I meant, but it's on me for not communicating it better. And I get that people are like that, I'm inherently like that, too. It still angers me a bit, and for their sakes, too. Global warming will bite us all, and even they can one day get to a position where they'll need to rely on others for support. But I get that "for their sakes" is always an iffy argument.
On the other hand, I feel as if a part of this, and the kneejerk reaction to trying to attack/discuss people's worldviews and inaction could be changed on the level of taught/cultural, not inherited, behaviour. But yeah, a large part of it is just human, I guess.
In the end, even if I sounded angry in the rant, I get that people are the way they are mostly due to things outside of their control. Perhaps instead of ranting, I should try to change more people's minds myself, try to be one of the outside forces, eh?

edit: the part that gets me the most is still the people abandoning logic when defending their arguments, but that's a part of it, too, I guess

Last edited:

Vortex

Proton
Nebulae
Well, that's mostly what I meant, but it's on me for not communicating it better. And I get that people are like that, I'm inherently like that, too. It still angers me a bit, and for their sakes, too. Global warming will bite us all, and even they can one day get to a position where they'll need to rely on others for support. But I get that "for their sakes" is always an iffy argument.
On the other hand, I feel as if a part of this, and the kneejerk reaction to trying to attack/discuss people's worldviews and inaction could be changed on the level of taught/cultural, not inherited, behaviour. But yeah, a large part of it is just human, I guess.
In the end, even if I sounded angry in the rant, I get that people are the way they are mostly due to things outside of their control. Perhaps instead of ranting, I should try to change more people's minds myself, try to be one of the outside forces, eh?

edit: the part that gets me the most is still the people abandoning logic when defending their arguments, but that's a part of it, too, I guess
You could try to make them see the truth, then again there's no winning an argument with an idiot. Wouldn't be worth your time, either.

D

Deleted member 3818

Disclaimer: Not talking about people who already worry about these sorts of things, or who simply can't afford to worry. These are all cool in my book. And I'm aware I'm not great in this either, but I'm trying to improve.

You know what I really dislike?
This fricking human tendency to lie to oneself and blind oneself from large-scale problems in the name of "optimism", because, I can only guess, accepting them as a part of reality would make one feel uncomfortable.

Global warming is a thing, yeah? We can all agree on that? So how about worrying a bit more, changing a bit about our lifestyles, being more politically active, actually DOING something, getting actual change done? No, no, let's not worry about that. That's in the fuuture. Or we can't affect anything anyway.

Oh, yeah, we care about people. If we saw someone starving on the street, we would perhaps even get them something to eat. So why don't many more people donate to charities that help people with these sorts of problems? Or any other issues? Why don't more people advocate for legislature pertaining to this? Oh no, but that's far away, let's not worry about that. Yeah, we'll say how terrible it is, we'll actually acknowledge it, if we WERE there, we would care and pity people who need help, but as long as its far, we won't feel too bad not helping as to not inconvenience ourselves, despite actual human LIVES being at stake, the entire worlds and existences of individuals like us. And when they put someone on the television? Yeah, THEN the donations start rolling in, because the issue now has a face we were forced to see, an individual on the same level as us. We are coded to relate to that. But the feeling of dread pertaining to an issue so large we can only do our part, and not much more? Make only a small dent, even if that meant saving people or something of such significance to individuals? Yeah, not worrying about that.

Alright, more controversial time:

Meat. I swear, if you gave people a little lamb or a chick or whatever, they would all cuddle it and love it. But stick it in a factory, where it will live a terrible life full of suffering? Yeah, we don't care. And we'll get angry for you for even trying to change our mind.

The worst bloody thing about this is that if you try to discuss it with some people and point out what they're doing wrong, they'll ditch all logic and reason and start defending themselves with arguments very clearly based on emotions and on what they personally WANT to believe. Now if you oppose me with other opinions and change my mind? I'm alright with that. That's what's important imo.

Not all optimism is bad, either. But the difference between healthy optimism and unhealthy optimism is whether it gives you strength to FACE problems, or if it just makes you ignore said problems because everything is just so bloody fine let's not look into shall we?

Also, I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to take a break from all of this, yeah, the only way to really face reality (at least for me these days) is to only worry about things when it's time to work on them, self-reflect, or plan future actions, not during other work or rest. But you eventually do have to factor these things in. ACKNOWLEDGE that they're a thing.

Sorry for the rant, and feel free to disagree.

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae

Well, you don't have to fix all of the world's problems, that's simply impossible. But imo all improvement and all happiness matters, because they all improve individuals' lives, and from their perspectives, their lives are their entire existences.
But yeah, you still have to care about yourself as well. How much to prefer oneself over others is beyond me, but you can always justify taking care of yourself as giving yourself the strength/motivation you need to keep working on yourself. And rewarding yourself a bit, I guess.

Okay

What the hell is a fact these days then?
If anything, I'd argue humanity today has more of an access to facts than it had through the majority of its history. Yeah, it's possible to lie to the populace or spread false information, but that's certainly been a thing for a long time. At least nowadays there is more access to actual research and various journalist/other sources.

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
I have 5 fucking ulcers in my mouth right now

I keep getting them every other week I swear, I don't even know how.

Reactions: List