What was Judith Mossman actually doing

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
I played through HL2 Update with MMOD for like the 5th time this week and something I still don't understand about the plot is exactly what Judith was up to.

The wiki says she is a triple agent but I can't see how she was helping the resistance, all she seemed to do was hand Eli over to the Combine when he could've escaped with Alyx and Gordon which put everything at risk.

Did she really just turn on Breen at the end because she liked Eli? It all feels very contrived.

Reactions: List

venutianPunk

Leftist Cuck
Nebulae
Sort of a copout, but maybe she had information from G-Man that we currently don’t know about?

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I played through HL2 Update with MMOD for like the 5th time this week and something I still don't understand about the plot is exactly what Judith was up to.

The wiki says she is a triple agent but I can't see how she was helping the resistance, all she seemed to do was hand Eli over to the Combine when he could've escaped with Alyx and Gordon which put everything at risk.

Did she really just turn on Breen at the end because she liked Eli? It all feels very contrived.

Judith was originally a double agent for the Combine - she was there to give the Combine the details for the teleporter as Kleiner worked out the bugs while also acting as one of Lambda's top scientists.

In fact if not for Freeman showing up its likely that the Combine would have won, because the day Freeman is put back into the timeline is the day that Kleiner gets the teleporter to be totally operational. The Combine had no time to upgrade their own at Nova Prospekt with the new fixes before it blew up.

But its very likely that Mossman just grew more and more of a concience over what she was doing over time (and genuinely really grew to care for Eli and co) until she properly turns on Breen tbh.

Maytree

Black Hole
Nebulae

Heyo. Lore nerd here.

I wanna let you know that Wikis (especially the Half Life Wiki) aren’t valuable sources of information. A bunch of the stuff there is heavily saturated with speculation and misinformation.

Mossman wasn’t a triple agent for the Resistance, she was always a spy for the Combine. She was also behind the construction of the Combine’s new teleportation technology. Originally, the Combine highly relied on portal storms for teleportation (Overworld > Xen > Earth). But now (or briefly) have the technology to practically go wherever they want thanks to her. Direct and free teleportation is actually one of the things the Combine are so intrigued of Earth, aside from Earth and it’s. Inhabitants.

She only switched sides because Breen wasn’t going to spare Eli or any of her friends within the resistance during the end of the game.

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
Heyo. Lore nerd here.

I wanna let you know that Wikis (especially the Half Life Wiki) aren’t valuable sources of information. A bunch of the stuff there is heavily saturated with speculation and misinformation.

Mossman wasn’t a triple agent for the Resistance, she was always a spy for the Combine. She was also behind the construction of the Combine’s new teleportation technology. Originally, the Combine highly relied on portal storms for teleportation (Overworld > Xen > Earth). But now (or briefly) have the technology to practically go wherever they want thanks to her. Direct and free teleportation is actually one of the things the Combine are so intrigued of Earth, aside from Earth and it’s. Inhabitants.

She only switched sides because Breen wasn’t going to spare Eli or any of her friends within the resistance during the end of the game.
They don't rely on portal storms pretty sure, they can create portals themselves but only for extra-universal teleportation and they don't use Xen for it, the boarder world subway system thing is something humans figured out.

I think the Combine are just so overly evolved that they cant scale back enough to make simple technology, Judish literally says they just failed to factor in some Dark Energy equations which is preventing them from developing local teleportation by themselves

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
They don't rely on portal storms pretty sure, they can create portals themselves but only for extra-universal teleportation and they don't use Xen for it, the boarder world subway system thing is something humans figured out.
Yeah, its more accurate to say that the Combine saw the portal storms and went "oh, hey, these guys have tech we may want" and came through. Like a ship following a lighthouse beacon.

The whole reason the Nihilanth hid in Xen was because the Combine didn't have a way to access it on their own (yet).

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
Yeah, its more accurate to say that the Combine saw the portal storms and went "oh, hey, these guys have tech we may want" and came through. Like a ship following a lighthouse beacon.

The whole reason the Nihilanth hid in Xen was because the Combine didn't have a way to access it on their own (yet).
It's a shame that the local-teleportation thing isn't a plot point we got a lot of use out of.

It's probably the only reason they bothered setting up a government on Earth rather than just purging and or instantly subsuming us all into the overwatch machine, they were probably just waiting to get their hands on the tech we had developed.

Pretty wacky to think in the Half-Life universe, humanity may well have been the first species in countless universes to have figured it out.

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
thats-a-nice-argument-senator-why-dont-you-back-it-up-with-a-source.gif

image0.jpg

OverWiki and Portal Wiki have been the most trustworthy sources of information about lore for the longest time.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
How I understood it

Mossman was a jealous bitch with unbridled resentment for never getting hired to black mesa and all that, blaming Gordon for what happened because "If it was her in the test chamber, none of this would've happened" type ego stuff

She then helped the Combine build Local Teleportation devices which ties in with Dr. Breen's agreement to the Combine - where they don't outright eradicate humanity because they might have useful technology.

But as shit turns south for the Combine, she realizes that Gordon might be their only hope to save humanity and goes 'I was only pretending to be a double agent haha' and frees Gordon and Alex. Then she sets out to find the boat with the Aperture science shit.

I want to crush her skull with a rock.

OskarDemus

Proton
Nebulae

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Adding on to the above because I don't wanna dilute the point, I think one of the biggest misconceptions about the entire setting is that the Resistance genuinely wasn't any sort of threat to the regime until Gordon showed up.

Breen outright states that they could have snatched Eli at any point in the past 'several years'. The reason they didn't was because they were working on the teleporter tech. That's also why Civil Protection instantly knew where the Railway was to hit during Route Canal and such. They weren't ignorant about what The Resistance was doing, they just knew (correctly) that The Resistance was never going to be in a position to storm their bases of power (the cities) or make any serious gains.

The Resistance wasn't useless, but they were much more about building up and getting people to safety than fighting back (at least, again, in the cities).

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
Adding on to the above because I don't wanna dilute the point, I think one of the biggest misconceptions about the entire setting is that the Resistance genuinely wasn't any sort of threat to the regime until Gordon showed up.

Breen outright states that they could have snatched Eli at any point in the past 'several years'. The reason they didn't was because they were working on the teleporter tech. That's also why Civil Protection instantly knew where the Railway was to hit during Route Canal and such. They weren't ignorant about what The Resistance was doing, they just knew (correctly) that The Resistance was never going to be in a position to storm their bases of power (the cities) or make any serious gains.

The Resistance wasn't useless, but they were much more about building up and getting people to safety than fighting back (at least, again, in the cities).
And to be fair, once the Teleporter was done - they immediately stormed Black Mesa east and took Eli and Co.

Literally everything the Rebels have done would've been for nothing had Gordon not been there.

Nebulae
It's a shame that the local-teleportation thing isn't a plot point we got a lot of use out of.

I can tell you on good authority that the current iteration is about to get a fair bit of use out of it ;)

But its very likely that Mossman just grew more and more of a concience over what she was doing over time (and genuinely really grew to care for Eli and co) until she properly turns on Breen tbh.

There's actual in-game dialogue to support this btw, look to Judith and Breen's brief conversation in Nova Prospekt.

"You would have had Freeman if you'd been patient and just waited for my signal. "

"We weren't entirely sure you were ever going to get around to that, human loyalties being what they are."

etc.

Breen was already beginning to suspect Mossman of having second thoughts

Maytree

Black Hole
Nebulae
thats-a-nice-argument-senator-why-dont-you-back-it-up-with-a-source.gif

image0.jpg

OverWiki and Portal Wiki have been the most trustworthy sources of information about lore for the longest time.
There’s actually two separate Wikies that are currently being operated by two separate groups of people.

The Combine Overwiki is a completely separate project than the old one I was referring to. Many people use that website than the regular one due to how misinformative and unmoderated it was since 10 years ago (and still to this day) The reason I say this because I was actually an editor there for one of the articles (The Air Exchange).

There’s also the fact that wikis (as a whole) can be not reliable sources of information since most of them can be edited by anyone. It’s more preferable for people to go through the actual source material that were made by the real people themselves.

Nice gif tho.

Last edited:

Maytree

Black Hole
Nebulae

I think the Combine are just so overly evolved that they cant scale back enough to make simple technology, Judish literally says they just failed to factor in some Dark Energy equations which is preventing them from developing local teleportation by themselves
I was already saying that the Combine cannot do local teleportation (only universal teleportation) and that Mossman introduced was the one that introduced them to that technology. There are actually sources within the recent games that the Combine showed up after a week of the portal storms emerging to Earth’s Atmosphere. With portal storms being universal gateways (but in a much chaotic nature). It's just a matter of the Combine recreating or "tweaking" portal storms to either favorable conditions or destinations.

The whole plot of Episode 2 is to close the portal storm that’s hovering the destroyed citadel before the Combine could ever harness it; to re-established links to the Overworld and wipe out the entire Resistance Forces (under 7 minutes instead of 7 hours according to Eli).

The reason why I mentioned Xen it’s because it was the only place that has teleportation coordinates to Earth before the Nihilanth had been murked. It was implied through Gman’s dialogue that he and his employees lost or given up control Xen long after Gordon was put into stasis. "The borderworld, Xen, is in our full control… for the time being!". Considering the fact that the Vortigaunts and the Nihilanth were on the run from the CMB, the empire would of likely stumbled into Xen without resistance from the Nihilanth.

Last edited:

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
whilst we're on it who's odessa cubbage is he just like a guy or
he's lambda's dealer

not in weapons or anything

just sends out shit like

COLONEL C 😈 ACTIVE 1PM-2AM ON/OFF FORT KNAPP SHOUT ME FIRST COME FIRST SERVE
CALI PACKS FRESH IN ❗ ❗